Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You could have all the religious freedom you want. If you were to invite me for dinner at your house, and you and your family said grace before dinner, I would quietly sit there and say nothing. It is your house, your home, and as a guest I would be respectful of that.

You want to do the same thing at a public dinner? Different issue.

As long as you keep it in your home, church, synagogue, mosque or temple. If any tax dollars are involved, you're going to hear all sorts of issues about it.
Like it or not, the edges of "free exercise of religion" and "society/public square" intersect on a regular basis … and yes, that means that there will be tussles, cases and interpretations …

But while organized zealous hostility to religion is also protected by the First Amendment, the claim that "A-Theism" is or should be the Official Religion of The United States is not supported by either law or custom ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That statement above is obviously rubbish but I would certainly be on board for no official religion of the US instead of Christianity creeping into everything..
Religion is pervasive in our society, so it does "creep in" ...

Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Like it or not, the edges of "free exercise of religion" and "society/public square" intersect on a regular basis … and yes, that means that there will be tussles, cases and interpretations …

But while organized zealous hostility to religion is also protected by the First Amendment, the claim that "A-Theism" is or should be the Official Religion of The United States is not supported by either law or custom ...
Who is claiming that atheism should be an official "religion" of the US??

Where are you getting that from??

Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Don't like the so-called New Atheists? Tough.

We are not going to be kept in the closet any longer. We don't give a rat's behind if you want to practice your religion in your home, church, synagogue, mosque, or temple. You want to practice it in the public sphere or if any tax dollars are involved? You going to hear from us loud and proud.

You also better get used to the fact that the US Supreme Court has ruled since 1947 that our point of view is the valid one. You might want to read up on that.
What, exactly, do you mean public sphere? I have no problem with people saying their stupid "God bless" at the park or their praise be's out in the world. I don't care if they ask for prayers on Facebook. It is when it is part of things like policy debate and legislation that I go a little nuts.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:28 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:
Religion is pervasive in our society, so it does "creep in" ...
Lately it has been tending to creep like a bull in a china shop.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:34 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:

The entire point that EVERYONE is making is that there should NOT BE ANY official religion and that people should be able to choose for themselves.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:35 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
The USA is a very religiously diverse and vigorous society not least because the First Amendment wisely forbids establishment of ANY Official State Religion (including "A-Theism") and at the same time guarantees "free exercise" of religion …

So, yes, in America even zealous "atheists" are allowed to "proselytize" and even be "preachy" ...
I think you missed my point. I don't care if it religious or non religious in nature. I don't want to be preached to. In case you missed the myriad of posts from earlier in the thread, not allowing Bibles in state run lodgings is not a violation of your "free exercise" of religion.

PS: You do realize that you can just type atheists, right? You don't have to type "atheist" or "A-theist".

Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Who is claiming that atheism should be an official "religion" of the US??

Where are you getting that from??
That is the de facto position of the zealous missionary "New Atheists," i.e., that "Freedom of Religion" also means "Freedom FROM Religion" … such that people of faith should just stay home ...

Old 12-03-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Lately it has been tending to creep like a bull in a china shop.
No …

E.g., the SCOTUS has consistently upheld, e.g., "Roe v. Wade" despite the vociferous objections by many people of faith, just so also a general ban on "prayer in public schools," etc., etc. ...

Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The entire point that EVERYONE is making is that there should NOT BE ANY official religion and that people should be able to choose for themselves.
And that is the summary of the real world real life "facts on the ground" in America today …

So, where's the problem … ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality