Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
I see no ...
Yes. We know you don't see it. That is the problem we're trying to rectify by discussing this with you.

Quote:
Get Over It ...
No: Rather, you should either [a] learn what you don't know, [b] stop making it seem like you don't know, or [c] correct your misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 03:04 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Yes. We know you don't see it. That is the problem we're trying to rectify by discussing this with you.

No: Rather, you should either [a] learn what you don't know, [b] stop making it seem like you don't know, or [c] correct your misunderstanding.
You don't like "religion" … I get that …

*shrug*

Old 12-03-2015, 03:08 PM
bUU

Quote:
You don't like "religion" … I get that …
No: I'm a worship leader at church. You're just wrong. Get that.

*shrug*

Old 12-03-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
No: I'm a worship leader at church. You're just wrong. Get that.

*shrug*
Okay … You don't like the "Gideons" ...

Old 12-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm cool with it, as long as every other religious institution that wishes to is given equal access to place their own books in every room, with as much prominence.

Who says that other religious faith groups are NOT FREE to form a "Gideons" style organization to distribute THEIR sacred writings free of charge to motels … ???

Has it been attempted … ??? By whom … ??? When … ???

Old 12-03-2015, 03:22 PM
bUU

Quote:
Okay … You don't like the "Gideons" ...
No: I have no particular concerns about the Gideons. My comments are directed at a specific situation within which they abused Christian privilege and violated the tenets of our society. And my comments are also directed at the errors in your understanding of the situation. It isn't the Gideons that I'm addressing. It is you.

Quote:
Who says that ...
Asked and answered. Your laziness in not reading the thread before replying is showing again.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:

No: I have no particular concerns about the Gideons. My comments are directed at a specific situation within which they abused Christian privilege and violated the tenets of our society. And my comments are also directed at the errors in your understanding of the situation. It isn't the Gideons that I'm addressing. It is you.

Asked and answered. Your laziness in not reading the thread before replying is showing again.
LOL …

I confess that I don't carefully ponder over every word of every sentence in every posting of every internet forum thread …

But I am real life real world -- and legally -- familiar with Church-State questions, so I do feel FREE to throw in my fifty cents ...

Old 12-03-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I feel sorry for anybody who is "traumatized" by a book in a closed drawer in a bedside stand.
It must be a terrible thing to allow a book to have THAT MUCH power over your life!
Oh, my goodness … !!! How much tempest will that teapot hold, anyway … ???

Old 12-03-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
There is no law that states that the state can distribute Bibles.

You seem to be unaware about how government works. Governments can only do things that they are chartered to do. A school administrator cannot open up a sandwich shop in the music classroom.

What I find amusing is how the people who try to use the "there is no law against states distribution Bibles" nonsense are often the very same people who argue that there is no law saying that the government can collect income tax - changing their argument to the contradictory argument depending on whether they want government to do something or not want government to do it.

So in order for the government to do something they have to establish a law, and government cannot establish a law that supports one religion and not all others.
Indeed, no such law would stand in a court challenge …
I am not aware that any such law has been passed ...

Old 12-03-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Because there were people of different religions in every state.

Facetiousness noted, but the message is important: If Dominionism isn't soundly and firmly rejected, and its "penetrat[ion into,] and transform[ation of] public life" in American secular society isn't soundly and firmly reversed, then why shouldn't a burgeoning Muslim majority expect that the growth of their numbers should imply a growth in their ability to assert their religious principles into American secular life? Heck, until recently, a majority of Rhode Islanders were Roman Catholic. If this nonsense that Vizio is saying is true, then why hasn't Roman Catholicism been the state religion of Rhode Island - why would there need to be parochial schools in RI when they could legitimately just make the state schools teach Catholicism? Answer: Because the arrogance of Dominionism is predominantly a corruption of Protestant Christianity.
LOL …

Some of us would argue that the "Protest Ants" have corrupted the Church …

But, yes, some of the more bizarre American Calvinists (see, e.g., the late D. James Kennedy) thought that "Christianity" was and is THE Religion of America … He never got very far, though, not least because of this little matter of the First Amendment …

Look … Religious liberty in America is not under some dire threat because of the "Gideons" … I mean, really … Give it up ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality