Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM

1,504 posts, read 851,866 times

Advertisements

If the right wing liberal fascists had their way they would burn believers at the stake for committing heresy through the rejection of political correctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
If the right wing liberal fascists had their way they would burn believers at the stake for committing heresy through the rejection of political correctness.
I hope you have a special blankie that helps you sleep at night.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:57 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
So if I think with my tiny little grey jello brain that the endless universe is conscious - that it is aware...that there is a God...then I am stupid?
No, you are imaginative and creative. You aren't stupid unless you claim that this is anything other than your own thinking / preference / imagination or that you have testable evidence or logical argument in its favor simply because you assert it (or perhaps because others agree with you and make similar assertions, or because these assertions are ancient, etc. etc.).

You aren't maximally stupid unless you claim the right to decry others as idiotic / wrong / evil / devious for not imagining what you imagine, despite not being able to substantiate your claim as anything other than what it pleases you to believe is true.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Another post illustrating the utter and complete inability to even listen to anything that remotely disturbs a set of rigid dogmatic beliefs. Another post from the lofty heights of condescension and the knee jerk shop-worn sneering i don't believe you/ you are lying/ because I don't like what you are saying.

That is concerning. And that is the topic this thread is addressing. I have no desire to prove or convince anyone of anything. I am simply giving mordant examples of something he said could had never happened and could never happen. Posts such as yours in response have proven the points being made regarding an utter closed-minded inability to even listen to experiences that are not what you want to hear.
I don't know why you...once again I might add...believe yourself to be so special as to be beyond verification when it comes to "substantial claims".

Because you are not relaying your own personal experience...you are relaying a purported experience of somebody's uncle's father's brother's daughter's stepson's wife's great uncle. A story lacking in any sort of information as to be capable of validating it. That is what people do when they are "making stuff up" and then act indignant about expecting some kind of corroborating details.

If I told you that I have a dog, or have kids, or have a car....these are all things which I can personally attest to. If I told you my dog likes a particular type of dog food better, or my kids like doing such and such...these are mundane and not out of ordinary assertions.

If I told you that "legend tells of the atheist who convinced the Cardinal the error of his logic and promptly stepped down and renounced all the religions of the world.".....what kind of credibility would that hold as evidence for anything? Its not even a very good example of an anecdote because I could be (and am) making that up.

Take my posts however you wish. But realize people who engage are in fact showing respect for you as a person, even if they don't respect your beliefs.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:05 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Um ... I'm afraid it's LEFT wing liberals you are decrying.

As a left wing liberal I can assure you that I don't want to burn anyone at the stake and I can in fact be quite politically incorrect myself at times. It is just a function of what political correctness is on offer. bUU for example has a form of political correctness that says that one must never offend a liberal theist or make them feel less than comfortable. I have certainly violated THAT shibboleth. There is a political correctness that says that corporate power elites must never be offended or made uncomfortable or that we must never call them to account or shame them for the way they run roughshod over the disadvantaged and, indeed, the 99%. My vote for Sanders is certainly a big stick in their eye, so again, I am politically incorrect.

You are probably an authoritarian who finds liberal initiatives an existential threat because it makes you feel out of control. But not to worry. We will raise people out of poverty, provide health care for all, and otherwise make the world a better place and when your head is done exploding you will notice that the sky will not have fallen and, in fact, there are aspects of your life that are better. And guess what? You will still be able to worship god any old way that you please. You will just not be able to marginalize and demonize people who don't worship the way that you please, or who don't worship at all.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Here's your sign..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-HN900nuw

Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I did not make up that you are suggesting that atheists are protesting non-peacefully.
Yes you did. I said nothing about violence. You apparently committed remarkable revisionism within your own mind. You wanted me to have said something, and in your own mind actually thought I said it. Incredible.

Again: Don't try to tell me what my logic is. I outlined my logic all by myself. I don't need your help understanding what I've explained. I don't need your help further explaining what I've outlined. Abide my explanation of my logic, or explain your own logic, but stop with the mordantsplaining.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:56 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
So first you are saying it has never happened.....
Quote:
I challenge you to demonstrate one single time in human history when a theologian has tapped a scientist on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, sir, but your equation is off here ... and here ... and you overlooked X, Y and Z ... .." It's never happened
And now you admit that it can happen....
Quote:
And I am not so arrogant as to suggest that a rabbi could not be a polymath who actually has a deep understanding of science
Good. I'm glad you can acknowledge that. Glad to see it. This being the "those of faith lack the use of the analytical mind" thread and all. Your post also demonstrates an example of a mind that is maybe possibly perhaps might be but too soon to tell the tiniest bit open to expansion.

Open mind is not about what you believe, or changing your beliefs. It is a willingness to listen to and explore and consider other possibilities, including those outside our comfort zone.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-04-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 02:16 PM

1,504 posts, read 851,866 times
Quote:
Um ... I'm afraid it's LEFT wing liberals you are decrying.

As a left wing liberal I can assure you that I don't want to burn anyone at the stake and I can in fact be quite politically incorrect myself at times. It is just a function of what political correctness is on offer. bUU for example has a form of political correctness that says that one must never offend a liberal theist or make them feel less than comfortable. I have certainly violated THAT shibboleth. There is a political correctness that says that corporate power elites must never be offended or made uncomfortable or that we must never call them to account or shame them for the way they run roughshod over the disadvantaged and, indeed, the 99%. My vote for Sanders is certainly a big stick in their eye, so again, I am politically incorrect.

You are probably an authoritarian who finds liberal initiatives an existential threat because it makes you feel out of control. But not to worry. We will raise people out of poverty, provide health care for all, and otherwise make the world a better place and when your head is done exploding you will notice that the sky will not have fallen and, in fact, there are aspects of your life that are better. And guess what? You will still be able to worship god any old way that you please. You will just not be able to marginalize and demonize people who don't worship the way that you please, or who don't worship at all.
Firstly I do not worship anything. I acknowledge a God but do not grovel in worship. I can not imagine this being as being in need of worship....people like being worshipped.. The point I am making is one concerning extremism. I have no problem with so-called conservatives or liberals...I just have no use for extreme experimental thinking and the implementation of extremism just for the sake of change.

The only authority or authoritarian mindset I have regarding control...is that I have no need or hope of controlling others or even my adult children...I just wish that extreme overly passionate people who want to control me learn to control THEMSELVES.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:18 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes you did. I said nothing about violence. You apparently committed remarkable revisionism within your own mind. You wanted me to have said something, and in your own mind actually thought I said it. Incredible.

Again: Don't try to tell me what my logic is. I outlined my logic all by myself. I don't need your help understanding what I've explained. I don't need your help further explaining what I've outlined. Abide my explanation of my logic, or explain your own logic, but stop with the mordantsplaining.
Mordantsplaining? That's a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality