Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 05:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Quite old beast! That is why I ask, over and over of theists...'why do you think 'Faith' has merit and should be applauded'. I have been asking this for years and, as y'all probably noticed, I have asked several 'Christians' here, several times. As yet, not one of them have offered an answer.
Indupitably, old quince, just as I have asked why, if hellthreat is rejected, religion even matters. Eusebius was the only one who even had a stab at answering that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 09:17 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Quite old beast! That is why I ask, over and over of theists...'why do you think 'Faith' has merit and should be applauded'. I have been asking this for years and, as y'all probably noticed, I have asked several 'Christians' here, several times. As yet, not one of them have offered an answer.
I wonder whether 'faith' has a therapeutic effect? Do you know much about meditation and 'mindfulness'? Well, it has been shown that mindfulness actually stimulates the growth of new neurons. It alerts the mind and improves memory and cognitive functions. So, maybe there is something like that going on?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I wonder whether 'faith' has a therapeutic effect? Do you know much about meditation and 'mindfulness'? Well, it has been shown that mindfulness actually stimulates the growth of new neurons. It alerts the mind and improves memory and cognitive functions. So, maybe there is something like that going on?
Or perhaps it's simply wilful ignorance.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
yes that is correct . you are correct 303. gold star for connecting the dots.
in short, faith makes you smarter
that will make some minds explode around here
should be fun to watch

Old 06-18-2016, 11:44 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
should be fun to watch
I didn't say smarter! Well OK, I implied it.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:42 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
in short, faith makes you smarter...
Aaaaaaahahahahaha!

Old 06-19-2016, 06:12 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
should be fun to watch
Mine just did.

I would say that faith is what is required to ignore many advances in science and the scientific methods. I can't speak to it making one smarter but it certainly encourages ignorance.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
I certainly agree that Faith has some benefit in confidence -instilling. I am doubtful about whether it has benefits in stimulating neuron -growth. But it is possible. Not that Faith makes much use of the result as it rejects the sound mental tools of logical reasoning and holds up faith as the best way of coming to conclusions.

That might hold some water were it not that, on checkable claims that faith has made, it has not had a good record, whereas evidence and reasoning has. And as they say, if you can't trust Faith to be right on checkable claims, how can you trust it on the ones you can't check?

Old 06-19-2016, 07:29 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
This is not another thread about the evidence or lack thereof for a god, so let's please not waste time going there . This is about some statements I routinely see here suggesting that the reason atheists and agnostics don't want to believe in God is because they want to sin. Which makes no sense in and of itself . But I want to directly address this oft repeated statement .

Do theists really believe that the only reason atheists and agnostics don't believe is because they want to sin?

Can theists truly not grasp that some people simply see no evidence of a God , and certainly none that might want a person to follow a particular faith, and see no point in believing in something like this without solid evidence ?

On what basis would a theist who believes this claim that someone like Stephen Hawking just wants to sin ? What evidence would a theist have that Sam Harris's atheism is rooted in a desire to pretend God doesn't exist so he can sin without guilt ? What about Dan Barker , a former Pentecostal preacher who decided he no longer believed ? What evidence would a theist have that Dan Barker left the faith so he could sin at will?

Is the concept of simple disbelief in invisible and silent supernatural beings really this hard to grasp , that theists have to resort to these kinds of allegations ?
1. No
2. Yes
3. Don't give a lot of thought to others beliefs, or non beliefs.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:24 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
should be fun to watch

Except that was this was credited to , anecdotally I might add without contesting the claim , was mindfulness and meditation, not faith . Faith is believing in things without evidence , largely based on the demands of some sort of religious dogma . Mindfulness is focusing ones attention on the present and developing better awareness of experiencing the present rather than mindlessly going through the motions of life distractedly focused on the future .

Please pay attention .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality