Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 05:07 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
However, nothing about reality actually changes when you focus on the positive. What changes is your attention ......Reality is what it is; our response to it is the only thing we have control of. We don't create reality; we manage our responses to it. ...not being so foolish as to discount the unpleasant stuff. Our job is not to deny reality or force a particular perception of it or to control it; it is simply to be present with it without judgment.
nope

your beliefs create your reality
literally. physically. actually.

your thoughts + your feelings ------> produce your daily life.
every moment without fail.

that is the power each and every human being has. that is why it behooves us to be very conscious and discerning in choosing our thoughts, speech, actions, beliefs, and feelings.

that has nothing to do with blame, and everything to do with responsibility.
please understand the difference and distinction between blame and responsibility.
blaming is about being a victim, there is no power whatsoever in that, nor is there any dignity, nor is there any growth. whereas responsibility is filled with power and choices and growth and improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 06:31 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
That is essentially right. And most us us have been educated about what are the Right Things to do. But I think we need a bit more understanding as we are still going badly wrong. We secularists believe that using rationality more and Faith in this or that god -claim less is the way to go. And that's what we are pushing for.

And we can really do without Mystic's table -banging, facepalm -slapping faith -based very personal opinions presented as Fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE SUPERNATURAL! Forgive my emotional outburst, but I tire of having to say this to every single poster who uses it against my posts. Sylvian seems to get it, but is having as much difficulty communicating it as I do. As children of God, our role is to reproduce God. In that sense, that is what God "wants." But it has nothing to do with claiming any special knowledge about what God wants.
*sigh* My old mate, yes we know that, and have agreed it. We use these labels to flag up ideas as we discuss. We agree with you that if some wonder -working cosmic divinity turned out to be true it would be regarded as part of nature and not 'super' to it. We have that in mind as we discuss 'supernatural' claims that are broadly speculations about a reality that science has no information or hypotheses about. Your reminder was really not needed.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-19-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 07:01 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
nope

your thoughts + your feelings ------> produce your daily life.
every moment without fail.

that is the power each and every human being has. that is why it behooves us to be very conscious and discerning in choosing our thoughts, speech, actions, beliefs, and feelings.

please understand the difference and distinction between blame and responsibility.
blaming is about being a victim, there is no power whatsoever in that, nor is there any dignity, nor is there any growth. whereas responsibility is filled with power and choices and growth and improvement.
So, what you are saying, is that if it is true for you, then it is true?

Old 06-19-2016, 07:31 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
nope

I know that's your assertion and that is is in some quarters a popular one. But if I am meant to take you literally (and it appears I am, since you say "literally, physically, actually", I cannot agree. In fact it is quite the opposite. My daily life is what it is, and I respond to it accordingly. There are bad, indifferent, good, better and best responses, to be sure. Chronically bad responses make matters worse, to be sure. Nothing succeeds like success, to be sure. I cannot control what comes my way, in any literal way, but I can certainly control how I respond to it.
Quote:
I understand the difference, but a decade or so back when I read The Secret to see what all the "you create your own reality" fuss was about, I spent some time on discussion forums centered around the book and I noted a marked tendency of the book's proponents to take "you create your own reality" to its entirely self-consistent conclusion: if you create your own reality then whatever is awry in your life is what you created, and therefore, cry me a river because it's self inflicted. On some level you probably want it. There was also a popular argument similar to Christian pentecostalism's "you don't have enough faith".

If you don't take that attitude then you're to be commended. But it is an attitude that can be expected when you shift responsibility from where it belongs (our responses to circumstances) to where it doesn't (our circumstances).

Old 06-19-2016, 10:03 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE SUPERNATURAL! Forgive my emotional outburst, but I tire of having to say this to every single poster who uses it against my posts. Sylvian seems to get it, but is having as much difficulty communicating it as I do. As children of God, our role is to reproduce God. In that sense, that is what God "wants." But it has nothing to do with claiming any special knowledge about what God wants.
Ohhhh...You let me know your weak spot.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:07 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
*sigh* My old mate, yes we know that, and have agreed it. We use these labels to flag up ideas as we discuss. We agree with you that if some wonder -working cosmic divinity turned out to be true it would be regarded as part of nature and not 'super' to it. We have that in mind as we discuss 'supernatural' claims that are broadly speculations about a reality that science has no information or hypotheses about. Your reminder was really not needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Ohhhh...You let me know your weak spot.
If you never expose your vulnerabilities, you will never know who would try to take advantage of them.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Why not answer the topic of the thread ? Did you see any disparaging comments in my OP?
Come back when you are capable of answering the questions of the OP .
The title of your thread is disparaging and if you really read what I wrote, I used *Your* words from *Your* original post I just changed the word to atheist.........
So you just proved you do not understand your own question.....
So why not answer the topic of the response and come back when you are capable of answering your own question in the OP......

Old 06-19-2016, 10:25 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
If you never expose your vulnerabilities, you will never know who would try to take advantage of them.
The question to ask yourself is why you have them. Why does it bother you when someone says "supernatural"? Are you defensive, maybe even prideful? I embrace the titled of mentally diseased apostate. They are just words. Maybe you should try some Zen or something and learn to detach from outcomes.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:35 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
The question to ask yourself is why you have them. Why does it bother you when someone says "supernatural"? Are you defensive, maybe even prideful? I embrace the titled of mentally diseased apostate. They are just words. Maybe you should try some Zen or something and learn to detach from outcomes.
i love this post!

Old 06-20-2016, 05:56 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The title of your thread is disparaging and if you really read what I wrote, I used *Your* words from *Your* original post I just changed the word to atheist.........
So you just proved you do not understand your own question.....
So why not answer the topic of the response and come back when you are capable of answering your own question in the OP......

There is nothing disparaging in the title , and I understand my own OP perfectly . When you have the courage to address the OP please feel free to return and try . I do not bother with those who lack the courage to first try and answer to the topic of the thread they come into .

Last edited by wallflash; 06-20-2016 at 06:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality