Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 02:19 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I hear what you are saying, but you don't know whether it was purposeful or not. Maybe wallflash has had several run ins with the poster before...
Okay then skip that one and move onto the next example. That's why I posted a number of examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Faith is a belief in something you have not seen...it could be used more often with the word 'blind' faith...don't get me wrong.. it is a sweet thing!
Faith need not be blind. Arguably, blind faith is a violation of our religious principles (if you believe it constitutes an "irresponsible" search for truth and meaning, as many of us UUs do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Okay then skip that one and move onto the next example. That's why I posted a number of examples.
Ok, how about your example of Finn? Why would someone avoid answering questions? Why would someone deliberately ignore a post, or refuse to answer a question? Being scared is one reason. Being unable to is another. I don't see the problem with wall saying so. Why do you?

How about the Mike555 example? I think anyone who claims to know the mind of God and also claims "not to give a damn about your opinion", is pompous and arrogant. Again, not seeing the issue.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:31 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
I hear what you are saying, but you don't know whether it was purposeful or not. Maybe wallflash has had several run ins with the poster before, and the poster tends to do that. In that case, it would be fair to say that the poster is either not paying attention, or the poster is willfully misrepresenting what is said. Either way, why should that not be pointed out? Those same "casual posters" should know what type of people they are dealing with.

Now, I am not saying that is the case, as I am not wallflash, but it certainly could be.

I'm not worried about bUU . He is embarrassed because he shot his mouth off and can't back it up when called on it, and so resorts to this instead . It is amazing that someone can lie about what another says, and then play the role of the offended party when asked to back up his claim . His avoidance in attempting to do so is very obvious , and I will leave it at that . The fact that he is unable to show where I said what he claims is proof enough of the quality of bUUs posts .

Anything I have ever said I will own and defend in the context of the entire thread and exchange it was made in, which we see bUU deathly afraid to do with his words .

Old 06-20-2016, 02:32 PM
bUU

Quote:
Ok, how about your example of Finn? Why would someone avoid answering questions?
When a poster starts acting like a playground bully, a parent's instinctive reaction is to scold the bully rather than to placate the bully's puerile inquiries.

Quote:
How about the Mike555 example? I think anyone who claims to know the mind of God and also claims "not to give a damn about your opinion", is pompous and arrogant.
I think you're not reading Mike's reply in the context of it being a response to wall expressing belligerent and deliberately petty disrespect for the beliefs of others. Of course, if someone has the same penchant for churlish disrespect, then that wouldn't be as readily apparent.

Regardless, the examples of this poster's behavior within this one thread was sufficient. I just thought it would be interesting to see how much of a standard operating practice it is. There's no evidence I could find that the poster can have a reasonable discussion with someone with an diametrically opposing viewpoint.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:37 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel
...faith is focusing ones attention on god
in every moment,
in every situation,
in every circumstance...
__________________________________________________ __-

You know I love ya, Tzap...but I disagree.

Focusing one's attention on God every moment...is, well, focusing on God every moment.
It has nothing to do with faith, per se.
Faith is a belief in something you have not seen...it could be used more often with the
word 'blind' faith...don't get me wrong.. it is a sweet thing!

(I digressed here into expounding on my opinion of 'focus'):

One can NOT focus on anything they have not known, seen or experienced for themselves.
Otherwise it is like focusing on a photo of a puppy...that you have never met!
You are really not focusing on the actual puppy, but the 'idea' and stories of the puppy.
And that is sweet, also...and has it's bennies.

Focus on God every moment is the natural result of love...the infatuation, obsession
and addiction one
has once one has experienced this Divine Being, the One, the All That Is, directly and intimately.

That's me, focusing on God all the time, every moment.

I would not know or comprehend how normal people are, I am the biggest O.C.D. temporal lobe epilepsy freak anyone ever saw. The only way I can stop is maybe play a game and even when I am watching a movie, my head is in the law.

There is no way to stop somebody like me unless maybe you give me Xanax maybe, it is very exhausting and I wouldn't wish it on nobody but I am glad I am the way I am.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:38 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I'm not worried about bUU . He is embarrassed because he shot his mouth off and can't back it up when called on it, and so resorts to this instead . It is amazing that someone can lie about what another says, and then play the role of the offended party when asked to back up his claim . His avoidance in attempting to do so is very obvious , and I will leave it at that . The fact that he is unable to show where I said what he claims is proof enough of the quality of bUUs posts .

Anything I have ever said I will own and defend in the context of the entire thread and exchange it was made in, which we see bUU deathly afraid to do with his words .
Oh, I know you aren't wall, just putting in my $.02!

Quote:
When a poster starts acting like a playground bully, a parent's instinctive reaction is to scold the bully rather than to placate the bully's puerile inquiries.

How is it acting like a playground bully if you call someone out on their inability to answer a question? I somewhat fall back on the whole "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" thing. If you don't want to answer questions, don't post on this site. Otherwise, expect to be called out on it. That goes for theists and atheists alike.

Quote:
I think you're not reading Mike's reply in the context of it being a response to wall expressing belligerent and deliberately petty disrespect for the beliefs of others. Of course, if someone has the same penchant for churlish disrespect, then that wouldn't be as readily apparent.
I don't think you are reading mine in context. I am not just talking about Mike555 here. I am talking about ANYONE who claims to know the mind of their God. I am also talking about people who would quote Bible verses and then say, "I don't give a damn about your opinion!". If you don't want others opinions, then, again, don't post on a public forum. Go find a forum where everyone agrees with you and quit putting yourself in that position.

And here you are, implying that I have "a churlish disrespect" for people or their beliefs. Why the double standard here bUU?

Old 06-20-2016, 02:42 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
And I do appreciate it SB

Old 06-20-2016, 02:50 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel
...faith is focusing ones attention on god
in every moment,
in every situation,
in every circumstance...
__________________________________________________ __-

You know I love ya, Tzap...but I disagree.

Focusing one's attention on God every moment...is, well, focusing on God every moment.
It has nothing to do with faith, per se.
Faith is a belief in something you have not seen...it could be used more often with the
word 'blind' faith...don't get me wrong.. it is a sweet thing!

One can NOT focus on anything they have not known, seen or experienced for themselves.
Otherwise it is like focusing on a photo of a puppy...that you have never met!
of course a person can focus on something they have not yet experienced
it's called yearning
yearning for God

faith (for me) is not blind. it is seeing clearly, it is knowing clearly.
faith (for me) is not a belief. it is the bedrock of my reality.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:44 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
And Finn_Jarber isn't scared.

And Mike555 isn't pompous and arrogant.

Who else have you churlishly insulted solely because you disagree with them and cannot manage to agree to disagree maturely?
add me to the list.

but with me he's 1/2 right.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:23 AM
bUU

Quote:
I don't think you are reading mine in context.
Probably because I'm not willing to be taken too far off what I'm pointing out to you. I'll stick with the context of my message rather than some other context within which your reply may be aiming. And again, the point was to see the pattern of behavior wallflash uses in the face of disagreement. You don't have to agree; that's rather the point. However, there are those who have seen his behavior, been the target of it, and who recognize it for what it is, the playground bully behavior. As such his comments are not worth giving any credence. However, if you agree with him, then surely climb into the echo chamber with him. No harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
add me to the list.
I covered you a few posts earlier.
Quote:
Yet, I haven't lied, and Arach Angle has loads of sense, and CSD610 has courage, and Tzaphkiel was paying attention... despite your petulant claims to the contrary; but you've clearly engaged in the classic behavior of playground bullies who don't get their way. There's not much else to say. So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality