Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 12:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

You answered my Q. So that's it. In any case when I 'debunk' I'm very much arguing with myself. So, if you have a case, I make it to myself. That's why I am leaving it there. I'm not seeing anything really debunkable.

Way is clear for other contestants, folks.

P.s just one clarification.On a Q form asking "Religion" what would you put? Or simply not fill the form in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 02:07 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You answered my Q. So that's it. In any case when I 'debunk' I'm very much arguing with myself. So, if you have a case, I make it to myself. That's why I am leaving it there. I'm not seeing anything really debunkable.

P.s just one clarification.On a Q form asking "Religion" what would you put? Or simply not fill the form in?

I've only had to fill out one form in the last several years that asked that question - at the hospital. I'd just recently plunged out of Christianity, through atheism, to ... not a clue. Hadn't told my husband that I was no longer a Christian yet. Well, crap. I realized, though, that the only reason they must be asking was in case something happened, they would probably send a chaplain in. While that's not something I would have wanted, I knew my husband would, and it would comfort him. So, I just checked his religion.

If it was just about me, I'd likely check the equivalent of the "none of your business/leave me be" box.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Christianity is a mixed bag, good and bad, and I understand your contention that truth matters*. But if you took all the holy books away, it would just create a vacuum, I think. Many people would continue to believe there is a God, yeah? And many people would still crave black and white answers to the philosophical and ontological (I hope I'm using that word correctly ) questions that bother them. There would rise up people who would fill the gap, and come up with new religions. I can't imagine a purely secular (atheist) society would ever be the norm. And, even if it was ... there's no guarantee that society would be better for it, simply because of the nature of people.

yuppers. This is why I don't fear religions but do fear some people.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Immanent. "existing/operating within". Indistinguishable from, but not undetectable. Here's a bible quote-ish that encapsulates that to a degree, "In God we live and move and have our being." And I would say that the inverse is equally true*, at least on some level: God lives and moves and has God's being within the physical world.
*hypothetically, of course
As I mentioned, I don't have a scientific bent, so I tend to accept the prevailing consensus of those who do.
Towards the end of my time as a Christian, I began to notice symbolic spiritual implications of some of the OT. I don't give that a ton of thought anymore, but still vaguely resonate with some of the ideas that struck me at that time.
You can debunk. I may not engage it. I've read enough of your posts to know that it's doubtful I could track with you, intellectually.
Quote:
I should add, that doesn't mean I wouldn't read and attempt to track. Just ain't making any promises that I would succeed.
You have an excellent mind, Pleroo. What you may lack in specific knowledge you make up for with insight, intuition, and a razor sharp clarity that need not withdraw from any on this forum (least of all Arq).

Old 06-25-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have an excellent mind, Pleroo. What you may lack in specific knowledge you make up for with insight, intuition, and a razor sharp clarity that need not withdraw from any on this forum (least of all Arq).
Heh. You are kind. But that clarity allows me to see my limitations very clearly. It's fine. I enjoy reading along with some of the discussions here. I look up a few words, here and there, and sometimes I even catch the general gist of a point that is being made. I consider that an accomplishment.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Heh. You are kind. But that clarity allows me to see my limitations very clearly. It's fine. I enjoy reading along with some of the discussions here. I look up a few words, here and there, and sometimes I even catch the general gist of a point that is being made. I consider that an accomplishment.
I concur with Mystic. You put your views very succinctly.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

I'm a little self-absorbed at the moment, or I wouldn't have let this slip by, I don't think. You mentioned earlier, if I'm not mistaken, that you also transitioned out of Christianity? If that is the case, I'd be interested to hear about your experience. Perhaps you've already posted it elsewhere?

Old 06-25-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I'm a little self-absorbed at the moment, or I wouldn't have let this slip by,
Come back on that anytime.

Quote:
I don't think. You mentioned earlier, if I'm not mistaken, that you also transitioned out of Christianity? If that is the case, I'd be interested to hear about your experience. Perhaps you've already posted it elsewhere?
Lifetime atheist, though I was always dealing with various god claims before Internet atheism put paid to them once and for all. I did give Buddhism a whirl though.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:06 AM

14 posts, read 11,920 times
anyone completely lose faith in God, one hundred percent lose faith in God, and come back to Him?

Old 01-28-2019, 03:37 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Wow, you ask this question in several places. Pick one. I comprehend your concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality