Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 04:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,255,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!
No it isn't. It is expressing an opinion. Only those who actually THINK their beliefs are unquestionable and beyond dispute can be hypocrites.
So you are admitting that your beliefs are questionable?

Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 PM

63,854 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Amen!
No it isn't. It is expressing an opinion. Only those who actually THINK their beliefs are unquestionable and beyond dispute can be hypocrites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Do you believe yours are NOT?????

Old 12-09-2016, 04:43 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,255,181 times
Quote:
Flag on the play. Deflecting. 10 yard penalty, repeat first down.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:09 PM

33,283 posts, read 26,487,831 times
Quote:
Amen!
Quote:
Quote:
Answer JJ_Maxx's question. Are you admitting that your beliefs are questionable?

I'll ask about a specific belief of yours. You claim that God is not supernatural. You claim that there is no such thing as the supernatural. Are you admitting that your belief about that is questionable? Are you admitting that you might be wrong?

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-09-2016 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 05:32 PM

16,690 posts, read 15,693,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Having been an active participant on these forums for eight years now, it recently occurred to me that it is the people who are the least secure in their own beliefs who are the most judgmental and condemning of others. Those who are the most secure in their own beliefs seem to be the most willing to look at alternative perspectives with an open mind and a sincere interest in learning something new. They are willing to defend their own position, but they do not feel the continual need to tell everybody else, "You don't really know God. But I do, so shut up and listen to me. I'm gonna tell you how it is."

Thoughts?

(Oops. I put this in the Christianity forum. I meant to put it in the general religion forum, because I think atheists and other non-Christians can be guilty of this as well as Christians.)
Moved it for you. (All you need to do is report the thread so we know to move it.)

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 PM

20,041 posts, read 13,507,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
My response to that is simply to question why we think we know what we know? And what is our source of knowledge? Are all sources equal?
Religious faith (belief without a requirement of substantiation) is a totally failed epistemology that does not lead in the direction of actual truth. It starts with conclusions rather than arriving at them.

Free rational inquiry on the other hand starts with evidence and arrives at conclusions from there (or in the event there is no evidence, makes no conclusion at all beyond that a thing that isn't evidenced is highly unlikely to be true).

Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 PM

63,854 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Answer JJ_Maxx's question. Are you admitting that your beliefs are questionable?
No. These silly semantic games are pointless. Saying they are questionable would imply I do not believe them to be true. I am just acknowledging that they can be questioned. Saying they can be questioned simply means that others need not agree with me.
Quote:
I'll ask about a specific belief of yours. You claim that God is not supernatural. You claim that there is no such thing as the supernatural. Are you admitting that your belief about that is questionable? Are you admitting that you might be wrong?
No. I do not believe there is any such thing as the supernatural. That does NOT mean that others cannot question it and need not agree.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,893,541 times
Quote:
I know that my beliefs are open to being questioned. I've never pretended otherwise. To assume that one is 'never wrong' is either hubris or delusion.
Quote:
“The problem is not religion or God. The actual problem is authoritarianism, mixed with the desire to angrily impose one’s personal apparently idealistic beliefs on others.”
Abhijit Naskar

Last edited by FredNotBob; 12-09-2016 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 08:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Religious faith (belief without a requirement of substantiation) is a totally failed epistemology that does not lead in the direction of actual truth. It starts with conclusions rather than arriving at them.

Free rational inquiry on the other hand starts with evidence and arrives at conclusions from there (or in the event there is no evidence, makes no conclusion at all beyond that a thing that isn't evidenced is highly unlikely to be true).
And gut feelings are in between.

Ish.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:30 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,685,772 times
It is my firm belief that people should not hold firm beliefs.

(One of my favorite quotes, and seems relevant to the bickering in this thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality