Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 09:32 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Like I said, we can perceive the universe/"everything" (what you label, "god") just fine. The universe exists and is not supernatural. What is it about the universe ("god") that you are assuming we do not perceive?
Y'all completely lack any God perceptive abilities...for any manifestation of an all encompassing God Entity.
It is always "The Universe" (ALL/EVERYTHING) that is GOD...in some it manifests as a representative metaphorical Character such as a Religious Deity....others perceive it more directly.
It is a normal trait most all humans have...except for a small percentage of the world population.
Similar to "Sighted VS Blind".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 09:46 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Y'all completely lack any God perceptive abilities...for any manifestation of an all encompassing God Entity.
It is always "The Universe" (ALL/EVERYTHING) that is GOD...in some it manifests as a representative metaphorical Character such as a Religious Deity....others perceive it more directly.
It is a normal trait most all humans have...except for a small percentage of the world population.
Similar to "Sighted VS Blind".
So you can't answer the question? You're the one who's saying the universe=god. I already told you that we do perceive the universe (what you call "god"). So what is it that you are suggesting you perceive "more directly" about the universe/god that we don't?

Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,665,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
So you can't answer the question? You're the one who's saying the universe=god. I already told you that we do perceive the universe (what you call "god"). So what is it that you are suggesting you perceive "more directly" about the universe/god that we don't?
Wow! How many times, and how many ways do I have to explain it?!
You are unable to perceive the "God" aspect of it...its "Godliness".
Most all people can...but a few can't.
You do know most people are Theist and are able to perceive an all encompassing God Entity, right?
Just like most people have sight and perceive through vision...but a few are blind and can't do that.
You lack an ability most people have...to perceive God. If you didn't lack it...you'd know what Theists perceive as respects an all encompassing God Entity...because you'd perceive it too.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:56 PM

63,932 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Athiests, due to their lack of normal God Perceptive abilities...are unable to perceive God.
Similar to the normal sighted people, compared to blind people.
This results in the Atheist having evidence for God that is right there to "see", but are unable to see it.
As if that isn't a bad enough impediment...even when the Atheist has the evidence for God they are "blind" to explained to them...they deny it as evidence for God.
Then, to mess up their situation even more...they use the circumstance that they erroneously assume is having no evidence for God, and run with that as a flawed premise to make the illogical determination to draw a "I should lack belief in the existence of God" conclusion off of it. It's so illogical and ignorant, it's laughable!
"ALL/EVERYTHING" has known attributes whereby it comports definitively as "G-O-D"...and it is self-substantiating to objectively exist. This is unequivocal and irrefutable to anybody not biased, or for some reason (lack God Perceptive abilities) ignorant.
Theists normally and naturally perceive an all encompassing God Entity...Atheists lack this ability.

THAT is the difference.
SUMMATION: Atheists are deficient in a way most others are not...and to exacerbate that, their bias and many times hubris, has them in denial about it.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:17 AM

16,723 posts, read 15,724,119 times
Here's the topic for this thread: Do any other atheists accept a possibility for a Go?

All this chit-chat about Universe=God is off topic.

Do any other atheists accept a possibility for a God?

Old 01-07-2017, 12:35 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,612,667 times
yea, Some atheist can accept a god that matches observation. This observational based god may differ in many ways from what the dictionary says what god is. It most certainty with differ from a literal religious persons limited god.

We will have atheist, like religious theists, that will hold to a belief statement over observational based conclusions. These, religious atheists, will cling to a blind faith statement like "lack belief" in order to maintain a superiority of their their religious views. They will, "minimize", "ignore", or flat out change the observations to met personal needs .

so, religious "gods" from stone aged people? na, I would no sooner accept that then to accept the sun is a big pile of wood. "sortagods" to minimize observations explaining how the universe works are just silly and immature showing some fear that is not real ... isn't my thing.

rational Atheists can accept a "god" that is presented using logic, commonsense and a mechanism. Maybe even dump the word "god" so the people that feel they were hurt by a non existent thing, like we would change wording with children.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:05 PM

468 posts, read 266,260 times
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yea, Some atheist can accept a god that matches observation. This observational based god may differ in many ways from what the dictionary says what god is. It most certainty with differ from a literal religious persons limited god.

We will have atheist, like religious theists, that will hold to a belief statement over observational based conclusions. These, religious atheists, will cling to a blind faith statement like "lack belief" in order to maintain a superiority of their their religious views. They will, "minimize", "ignore", or flat out change the observations to met personal needs .

so, religious "gods" from stone aged people? na, I would no sooner accept that then to accept the sun is a big pile of wood. "sortagods" to minimize observations explaining how the universe works are just silly and immature showing some fear that is not real ... isn't my thing.

rational Atheists can accept a "god" that is presented using logic, commonsense and a mechanism. Maybe even dump the word "god" so the people that feel they were hurt by a non existent thing, like we would change wording with children.
All honest observation points to a God .

Science is trying to prove he does not exist but hasn't managed to do that so far.
Athiests try to turn it all around and make it look like Christians are trying to disprove the obvious when in fact athiests are trying to disprove the obvious.

Religion begins the debate with a universe of evidence and stands on it .
Athiests begin there debate with nothing and try to build from there.

So I would say yes in the back of there mind they never entirely throw it out because they are still trying to prove they came from someplace else.
Attached Thumbnails
Do any other atheists accept a possibility  for a God-fb_img_1483829811295.jpg  

Last edited by clickstack; 01-07-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 01-07-2017, 06:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,221,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah vizio. the definition is the definition. I am an atheist by definition. Your omni dude god is not real. I more than lack belief in regards to that thing, I wouldn't even come up with that type of god using what we have. Its like looking at a map to see where your going and stating "chair legs hold up bubbles".
Well bully for you.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,221,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's not correct. Pretty universally, the Atheists that post on City-Data agree that the definition of an Atheist is a person who does not believe there are any God(s). After saying that, most of them also say that there is a possibility, however small, that one does exist, but they have seen no evidence for it.
All the atheists on City-Data can agree you're a jelly donut but it wouldn't make much difference, would it? I'm not sure why it really bothers you so much that I'd point out the dictionary definition.
Quote:
An agnostic claims that absolute knowledge of the existence and nature of God is unknown and unknowable.

The two are not mutually exclusive terms. Ask any of the regulars in the A&A forum. 99-44/100 % of them agree with these definitions.
I'll stick by my definition. An atheist simply lacks belief. An agnostic says it really can't be known. The OP was questioning if anyone that "lacks belief" is willing to admit there "might be". By admitting there "might" be they are moving into the "nothing is known or can be known...." realm.

ag·nos·tic
aɡˈnästik/
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

a·the·ist
ˈāTHēəst/
noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:37 AM

16,723 posts, read 15,724,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
All the atheists on City-Data can agree you're a jelly donut but it wouldn't make much difference, would it? I'm not sure why it really bothers you so much that I'd point out the dictionary definition.

I'll stick by my definition. An atheist simply lacks belief. An agnostic says it really can't be known. The OP was questioning if anyone that "lacks belief" is willing to admit there "might be". By admitting there "might" be they are moving into the "nothing is known or can be known...." realm.

ag·nos·tic
aɡˈnästik/
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

a·the·ist
ˈāTHēəst/
noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
You're still wrong. The two terms are not mutually exclusive. Agnosticism is a position based on knowledge. Atheism is a position based on belief. Like I said, all the Atheists that post here lack a belief in God, but allow a very small chance that one could exist.

Your comments sound like you've been reading Slack Matt's incorrect comments about Atheists & Agnostics on CARM again. See, like Karzpur said, he's not only wrong about religions he doesn't like, he's wrong about non-religions he doesn't like too.

I'll give you an example. I don't believe we're going to have a heat wave today, although I allow a chance (however small) that it could happen. Based on the knowledge I got from the weather maps on TV yesterday, and my knowledge of normal weather patterns, I think it's going to be bitterly cold again today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality