Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 08:30 AM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
After reading some of these posts, I see why God made a hell for its rightful and worthy inhabitants.
I can almost imagine that you've already booked ringside seats so that you can gloat while they roast.

What a horrible, horrible brand of 'Christianity' drives you, sc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:46 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I can almost imagine that you've already booked ringside seats so that you can gloat while they roast.

He (or she?) is a sad, sad little man (or woman, but probably man). Sitting here rooting for good people to roast for eternity for his sad, sad little god (purposefully spelled with a little "g", since his god isn't worthy of the big "G").

Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Quote:

It's horrible to the rebellious only.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:

It's almost comical at this point.

I've said this before--are there any Twilight Zone fans out there? The show had so much truth to it about human nature. That poster in particular, but also a few others, remind me so much of this episode:

Four O'Clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHPJqlHPtbk

Oliver Crangle is a paranoid fanatic who lives in an apartment with his parrot, Pete. He maintains records of people he believes to be "evil". He makes phone calls to them and their employers at all hours, writes letters regarding their actions, demands their prompt firing, and threatens to involve higher authorities if they don't comply. Unsatisfied with the results of his anonymous calls and letters, he searches for a more effective way to eliminate evil from the world. He settles on the idea of shrinking all evil people to two feet tall. Throughout the episode, Crangle's parrot Pete periodically calls out, "Nut," asking for a nut to eat, which Crangle gives him, not realizing that Pete is also, in effect, calling Crangle a "nut."

Crangle calls a number of government agencies, and Agent Hall of the FBI is sent to investigate. Crangle tells him of his plan to shrink every evil person at 4:00 that afternoon through sheer force of will, also mentioning that he believes all evil people are collaborating in a worldwide conspiracy. Hall asks Crangle if he's ever had any psychiatric help, and tells Crangle that they don't need his kind of help because they have the law. Crangle accuses him of being in on the conspiracy. As Hall leaves, Crangle screams at him that he too will be two feet tall in just 20 minutes.

When 4:00 rolls around, Crangle is horrified to find that he himself has been shrunk to two feet tall. He struggles in vain to get up to his window sill, and one last time Pete calls out the word "Nut".

Old 04-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's almost comical at this point.

I've said this before--are there any Twilight Zone fans out there? The show had so much truth to it about human nature. That poster in particular, but also a few others, remind me so much of this episode:

Four O'Clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHPJqlHPtbk

Oliver Crangle is a paranoid fanatic who lives in an apartment with his parrot, Pete. He maintains records of people he believes to be "evil". He makes phone calls to them and their employers at all hours, writes letters regarding their actions, demands their prompt firing, and threatens to involve higher authorities if they don't comply. Unsatisfied with the results of his anonymous calls and letters, he searches for a more effective way to eliminate evil from the world. He settles on the idea of shrinking all evil people to two feet tall. Throughout the episode, Crangle's parrot Pete periodically calls out, "Nut," asking for a nut to eat, which Crangle gives him, not realizing that Pete is also, in effect, calling Crangle a "nut."

Crangle calls a number of government agencies, and Agent Hall of the FBI is sent to investigate. Crangle tells him of his plan to shrink every evil person at 4:00 that afternoon through sheer force of will, also mentioning that he believes all evil people are collaborating in a worldwide conspiracy. Hall asks Crangle if he's ever had any psychiatric help, and tells Crangle that they don't need his kind of help because they have the law. Crangle accuses him of being in on the conspiracy. As Hall leaves, Crangle screams at him that he too will be two feet tall in just 20 minutes.

When 4:00 rolls around, Crangle is horrified to find that he himself has been shrunk to two feet tall. He struggles in vain to get up to his window sill, and one last time Pete calls out the word "Nut".
Twilight Zone is great! So many memorable moments! This fits a few posters here to a "T".

Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Twilight Zone is great! So many memorable moments! This fits a few posters here to a "T".
It is just a recurring theme in my mind with some of these posters. You can almost see them salivating in ecstasy through their posts at the idea of other people going to hell. They are so, so focused on this, and it's actually, IMO, got nothing to do with religion but more to do with a personality that measures oneself against others and then applies that to make their version of Christianity.

They need to be part of the "in" group, who will reap the benefits of salvation limited to only a special few, and not one of "the others", who will be left out. There is a very strong "us vs. them" mentality in humanity, and I think that like our natural propensity to take more than what we need--or what belongs to others--we have to monitor ourselves against this human tendency.

I don't think they understand that many people do not see Christianity in that light, but rather, as a freedom from that sort of thinking.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
This is so ignorant I don't even know where to start, but I will try anyways!

1. If God exists, then no ones opinion matters, yours included. So why do you care about what gay people do? After all, your opinion doesn't matter if God exists.
First of all my point was that whether or not you think hes cruel doesn't wiegh in on whether he exists. Secondly what I said was what God said through the Bible.

Quote:
2. So 2 people who were poofed into existence by an invisible God is the reason everyone sins? By default, the reason people get sent to hell? How do you not see how childish and stupid that sounds?
It sounds stupid because it's a strawman that you made up. God created man with a free will and with that free will we chose to sin.
Quote:
3. We are doing it to ourselves? Really? So you are of the ignorant opinion that people can just "choose to believe" (in your God though. None of those others, right?)? If so, then I pity you, since you obviously have no clue what you are talking about, and are part of the easily manipulated crowd.
Mocking what I said doesn't disprove what I said. Do you have evidence that people can't choose to believe? Are there not athiests who convert to Christianity and vice versa?

Quote:
4. Good works is irrelevant? So you can be a POS believer and you are fine, if you are a great person and an atheist you go to hell? Do you not see how childish and stupid that is? And why would your so called God want to send good people to hell for the simple act of not believing? Is his ego so big that he can't stand to see people not bow and kiss his feet? He isn't much of a God then, is he?
First off I don't make the rules. God does. Secondly, again. The fact that you gave to charity and saved hundreds of lives does not negate the fact that you murdered someone. It's a simple gift that you refuse to take. In order to go to heaven you must be absolutely perfect throughout your entire life because God can't have impurities with him for eternity. But since that's impossible God came down and died on the cross for our sins.

Quote:
5.Oh yes, because an atheist not believing in God is exactly like a murderer, right? Are you so dense that you actually believe that we are the same as someone who killed someone?
I guess they didn't teach you about analogies when you were in school. I'm not comparing a murderer to an athiest. I'm merely pointing out that your good works are irrelevant when you're being tried for your sins.

Quote:
6. You call it "rejecting", we call it, "not having any evidence for belief". Some of us need more than "But this old book says so!!!" to believe in things.
I can give you more than "because the Bible says so" but that would be off topic and no, that's not me making excuses because I really can't give you evidence. I'm simply following forum rules.

Quote:
Only in the sense that it matches a dictionary definition. If a God is so cruel and small minded as to send billions of people to hell for the "sin" of not believing, then he is no more than dictator.
Your opinion is just that. It does not change the rules or affect whether he exists.

Quote:
See, here is where you show your inability to think outside of your preset box (again). Stealing something, which makes you a thief, is in no way the same as being gay. You aren't born a thief. You decide to steal. Ask a gay person, pretty much any gay person, and they will tell you that they didn't decide to be gay.
First off have you ever heard of a kleptomaniac? In order to say you were born a certain way you must first prove it scientifically. What you gave was anecdotal evidence. No one has yet to give scientific evidence that people can be born gay.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is just a recurring theme in my mind with some of these posters. You can almost see them salivating in ecstasy through their posts at the idea of other people going to hell. They are so, so focused on this, and it's actually, IMO, got nothing to do with religion but more to do with a personality that measures oneself against others and then applies that to make their version of Christianity.

They need to be part of the "in" group, who will reap the benefits of salvation limited to only a special few, and not one of "the others", who will be left out. There is a very strong "us vs. them" mentality in humanity, and I think that like our natural propensity to take more than what we need--or what belongs to others--we have to monitor ourselves against this human tendency.

I don't think they understand that many people do not see Christianity in that light, but rather, as a freedom from that sort of thinking.
Can't disagree with anything you just said. Especially the bolded.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
First of all my point was that whether or not you think hes cruel doesn't wiegh in on whether he exists. Secondly what I said was what God said through the Bible.
Did I say it did? No, I said if your so-called god is cruel, then he is no god at all. He is merely a cruel dictator that I have no reason to follow, since I am not a coward, nor a follower.

Quote:
It sounds stupid because it's a strawman that you made up. God created man with a free will and with that free will we chose to sin.
It's stupid because it's stupid. It is certainly no strawman, since that is exactly how you believe.

Quote:
Mocking what I said doesn't disprove what I said. Do you have evidence that people can't choose to believe? Are there not athiests who convert to Christianity and vice versa?
Did I say it did? Yes, I do have evidence in fact. I can prove it to you, right now. See it isn't just about belief, it is also about unbelief.

Could you, right here right now, choose to believe there is no god? I don't mean merely to SAY you don't believe, but actually choose to no longer have a belief in anything? The answer is no, just as I can't choose to believe in your Hitleresque version of god.

Quote:
First off I don't make the rules. God does. Secondly, again. The fact that you gave to charity and saved hundreds of lives does not negate the fact that you murdered someone. It's a simple gift that you refuse to take. In order to go to heaven you must be absolutely perfect throughout your entire life because God can't have impurities with him for eternity. But since that's impossible God came down and died on the cross for our sins.
Here you go comparing an atheist to a murderer again. Have you not learned how stupid, not to mention false, this is yet? Not believing in your dictator in no way equals being a murderer. You can say it a million times if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that it is not the same thing.

And again, you can't just choose to "take his gift". That isn't how it works. Some people are perfectly fine believing in things with no proof. They are perfectly fine wasting and devoting their lives to it in fact. Some of us would rather live in reality, no matter how harsh it may be.

Quote:
I guess they didn't teach you about analogies when you were in school. I'm not comparing a murderer to an athiest. I'm merely pointing out that your good works are irrelevant when you're being tried for your sins.
Yet you DO compare the two. You clearly compare the two. You say an atheist not believing is like a murderer who gave to charity. That is a comparison guy. If you want to use an analogy, why not use one that makes sense, and not one that shows just how little you can think for yourself.

Quote:
I can give you more than "because the Bible says so" but that would be off topic and no, that's not me making excuses because I really can't give you evidence. I'm simply following forum rules.
No, you really can't. You know why? Because there is no more. Isn't that why you guys call it faith? There is no proof your book was "God-breathed". There is no proof that your god exists. There is no proof that if there is a god, it would be your god. There is no proof your god, if he exists, hates gay people as much as you guys seem to think. Basically, there is no proof of ANYTHING that you believe about your god.

You may be okay with that, but a lot of people need more than, "Just believe and you will be rewarded!".

Quote:
Your opinion is just that. It does not change the rules or affect whether he exists.
Did I say it did?

Quote:
First off have you ever heard of a kleptomaniac? In order to say you were born a certain way you must first prove it scientifically. What you gave was anecdotal evidence. No one has yet to give scientific evidence that people can be born gay.
Oh, so you must prove someone was born gay, but you don't need any proof that your so-called god is real? No one has any scientific evidence of your god either, so I guess you need to get to proving he does. You know, scientifically. Otherwise you are no more than a hypocrite.

Not to mention, there may not be irrefutable proof, but there is certainly plenty of scientific info to support it. You need to merely search the world wide web to find it. You may say it is a mental disorder, or something of that nature, but that wouldn't change the fact that they were born that way.

My husband has a very good friend of his that we have talked to about being gay before. You see, he came out to my husband about 12 years ago. He has told us repeatedly that he knew he was gay as soon as he knew what attraction was. He held no interest in women whatsoever. It may be anecdotal, but I will take his word over a homophobic, right wing religious zealot any day. He has no reason to lie, unlike you guys.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:06 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Like it or not, the actions of religious fundamentalists and evanglicals have indicated that such hatred exists.
Again, where's your evidence?

Quote:
All one has to do is notice how religion is being discarded by the younger generations -- and this is largely due to how Christianity has treated the LGBT community. Those of us 30 and younger began to see Christianity as a religion of intolerance, hate, bigotry, and oppression.
You also see young people rioting in the streets and saying that there's more than two genders even though science says otherwise. Just because people are leaving doesn't mean the place that they left was bad. In the art world people are leaving traditional art for modern art which in some cases the art they portray is literally (and I do mean that word) garbage.

Quote:
So ... are you going to ensure that marriage between heteros is completely logical as well? Because I've seen a lot of insane, illogical marriages between members of the opposite sex, as well.
Not as bad as the homosexual marriages.

Quote:
You cannot hold gay marriage to a higher standard than hetero marriages or invent crazy rules that don't apply to straight people. Bzzzt, thanks for playing.
The problem is that gay marriages are at a lower standard than heterosexual marriages. It's not that I'm holding them at a higher standard, it's just that gay marriages fail at keeping an equal standard.

Quote:
Well, gee, it's not my fault if you haven't been paying attention to the gay marriage debate, but I've been in hundreds of them (if not thousands) and I can speak from experience that the vast majority of them eventually devolve into a tirade about butt sex and how gross it is -- and this almost invariably comes from heterosexual males who, apparently, think their own personal masculinity is under assault when two gay strangers have anal sex in the privacy of their own bedroom.
Again, where's your evidence.

Quote:
If I had known you were going to ask evidence for the obvious, I would have copy/pasted the hundreds of posts I've seen like the one I described ... including many that were written on this very forum. I'm sure there are others here who remember seeing them.
Then why don't you?

Quote:
Oh, am I? Then explain to me why, out of ALL the rules from the Old Testament, people suddenly decided to pluck that one particular rule out of the Bible and enforce it? After all, no one seems to care of wife-beaters, spouse-murderers, child molesters, child abusers, and other sickos with all kinds of bizarre sexual fettishes marry ... even adulterers are allowed to RE-marry with no hassle from the fundevangelists. By God, men don't even have to marry their dead brother's widow or marry their rape victims!
For one I'm a Christian Jew. Meaning that take the old and New Testament as something to be observed. Secondly Christians do deal with other topics. It's this one in particular that makes the headlines. That'll be like asking if constitutionalists want us to go by what the founding fathers meant then why aren't they talking about the third amendment?
Quote:
But holy damn, man, when it comes to gays, all the sudden, the rules will be enforced with the rigidity and certitude of the ALMIGHTY LORD himself ... because now, suddenly, what the Bible says is important! It's not so important when you go to work on the Sabbath, for instance, because you really need that time and a half overtime pay, right?
Again, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you want to see christains engage in other controversies then make those controversies more prevalent.

Quote:
Now, everyone *could* have simply ignored all of the fuss and muss in the Bible concerning homosexuality being an abomination and yada yada just like they ignored putting adulterers to death, charging interest on loans to the poor, and a wide range of other Biblical rules. But nope ... instead our society went absolutely ape-poop over the idea of gays getting married even to the point of amending some 30+ state constitutions in a vain attempt to stop it from happening!
Where in the Bible does it say to charge interest to the poor?

Quote:
Why?

Believe me, you won't convince me that it was all because of religion ... because if it was all based on religious grounds, American Christians wouldn't be ignoring all of those OTHER rules in the Bible. Would they ...

And I'm STILL trying to figure out why Christians thought they somehow owned marriage in the first place. After all, what right do they have to tell two gay Hindus they can't get married based on what the BIBLE says? Why should Hindus have to obey the Christian Bible, I wonder? Oh, right, I almost forgot -- Christian fascism.
Because if the God of the Bibke is true then his rules apply to everybody. Just like if the constitution is the law of the land then everybody who lives in America are subject to it.

Quote:

At any rate, this has nothing to do with "projection" my ill-attentive friend, because if those people saw something other than an "abomination" when they saw two gay people, the whole issue of gay marriage would never have been an "issue" in the first place.
Not necessarily. I have atheist friends and whenever I see them I don't only see someone who needs to be saved. I see them as my friend. Plus if you think about it. If christains hate homosexuals then we wouldn't be telling them that they need to turn their life over. Because by telling you to turn your life over I'm saying "I want to see you in heaven with me. Please heed my warning. I don't want to see you suffer."

Quote:
Now you're just being annoyingly dismissive. Use your bloody head and THINK!
How I'm being dismissive?

Quote:
Never mind. The entire angle the Christians used to argue against gay marriage was this stupid "lie by omission" tactic which allowed them to do what you're doing now.

"Oh, I only have to deal with what's right in front of me. I don't have to read between the lines. Nope. Even when what's written between the lines is highlighted with bold font, I can continue to ignore it, dismiss it, and wave it away because you can't empirically prove it."
What are you talking about?

Quote:
This is how they got away with amending those state constitutions; none of those amendments actually mentioned homosexuals, gays, or religion. Instead, the amendments simply defined marriage as being between a man and a woman.

Even though everyone with a brain knew damn well that those amendments were gay marriage bans, certain Christians would actually argue, "We're not banning gay marriage, we're just defining what marrage is ... and it has nothing to do with religion."

What rubbish.
I think you went off on a tangent.

Quote:
It's the same dismissive rubbish you're writing right now. I'd tell you to pay more attention and be observant, but you won't -- in fact, I'm quite certain you've closed your eyes to reality thus labeling what I've said a "nice opinion" and wouldn't accept any of my "facts" if I bashed you in the face with an entire set of the Encyclopedia Britannica. I refuse to play the "I sets 'em up and you knocks 'em down" game.
This has to do with what we're talking about how?

Quote:

Oh sure ... I agree. Just because you're being punished doesn't mean you're being hated.

And it doesn't mean you AREN'T being hated.
You're the one assuming that God punishes gays because he hates them. It's up to you to prove it.

Quote:
I would make the determination of the presence of hatred based on the type and brutality of the punishment -- and since I can't think of anything worse than eternal torture, I would have to say that there is A LOT of hate there.
He's trying to save you from punishment by telling you not to do it. If he hated you then he would've just kept his mouth shut or better yet tell you that you're not going to hell when in fact you are.

Quote:
When you stop to think precisely why people go to Hell -- a refusal to join the Christ Cult and worship your god -- it would appear that the hatred your god showers upon the non-believers has more to do with ego than anything else.
Again, if he hated you then he would've kept his mouth shut. It's not him that sends you to hell. It's your own actions.

Quote:
Which is why I don't believe your god(s) exist. They reek of primitivism, the same old angry gods that everyone worshiped down through the ages. It's the standard threats of horrible things happening to you if you don't immediately cast aside your old gods and worship my god and join my cult. The history of theology is filled to bursting with gods that flew into childish rages if humans didn't properly worship them, blindly obey them, or spend their lives appeasing them. It's as if at least half the gods people worshiped were modeled on Trump ("Vote for my bill or you'll lose your seat, muahaha!"). Your god is no different.
Not believing in trucks doesn't affect the eighteen wheeler that turned you into hamburger meat.

Quote:
That's why we have these things called "convictions," Maccabee. That way we don't rationalize extremes by doing what you just did.

Using your logic, we could easily justify the Holocaust. Yet, as a historian, I have to agree that even extreme punishments must be studied within their historical context. Judging them based on our 21st Century system of morality would be a mistake -- IF we were simply studying history.
My point is that their are moral standards much higher than what man thinks is right or wrong.

Quote:
But we're not just studying history ... are we. No. Rather, we're supposed to be developing an entire real world moral framework based on this trashy holy book called the Bible that is filled to bursting with extreme atrocities that makes Hitler and Stalin look like playful kittens by comparison.

In addition, we're not talking about human beings whose morals change with time. We're talking about your supposedly timeless God who is also supposed to be the wellspring of goodness and compassion.

The problem you have is knowing on some level that what God has done and most likely will do (according to your beliefs, anyway) are flagrantly immoral. Yet ... he's God so you can't exactly call what he did "wrong" or even immoral. So you're left standing there trying desperately to rationalize what you *know* to be horrific acts of wanton violence that utterly violate your own personal moral compass.
Where is the wanton violence in the Bible? By who's morals are we basing on what's right or wrong?

Quote:
Such a being cannot even exist. You simply cannot have a being of pure goodness that can commit acts of such brazen brutality that you have to twist your mind up into a pretzel in order to rationalize and justify its actions. You cannot and will never successfully untie that knot because it is a paradox, a direct contradiction of being -- like someone being short and tall simultaneously. It's simply impossible.

The ridiculous idea that your loving, forgiving god forces people to believe in him with absolutely no evidence and then roasts all of those who failed to do so -- even those who wanted to but just couldn't because their minds don't operate that way -- is an irreconcilable paradox.
Just because I haven't given any evidence for God's existence in this thread doesn't mean I don't have any.

Quote:
In fact, your God, who never bothered to reveal himself to anyone but the Hebrews (ever wonder why that was?) never even bothered to try and convert anyone throughout the entire Old Testament! I mean, there God was, mucking about with planet earth -- yet only concerned himself with one singular tribe in a backwater section sparsely populated desert. He completely *ignored* Egypt, one of the greatest and most populous civilizations of the age -- except to brutalize it's population -- never once trying convert even a single one of its inhabitants. Instead God only gave a care about the Hebrews.

It sure doesn't seem like God really cared about whether anyone else on planet earth went to Hell or not, or even if anyone else but the Hebrews worshiped him or not.

Then, suddenly, in the middle of Rome, the Christ Cult arises and now, for some bizarre reason, *everyone* is supposed to convert or burn in Hell? And instead of God showing up to tell everyone this rather important news, we have to wait for this information to spread at the speed of the fastest camel.

Yeah, and we're supposed to believe this? Believe that Yahweh wasn't a figment of the Hebrew imagination and thus Jesus's divine nature is equally fictitious?

Anyhow, I digress.

As I said, unless you are a black hearted individual, literally rotten to the core, you *have* to know somewhere in that brain of yours that eternal torture is an immoral punishment. If you actually believe such a punishment is perfectly fair, righteous, and that every non-believer deserves it for not joining your religion, then we have absolutely nothing further to talk about.

But if what I suspect is true and that you do understand on some level that eternal torment is beyond the pale for simply not believing, then you already have the seeds of non-believe growing inside your head. One of the varied ways we atheists got to where we are is realizing that it's impossible to juxtapose a loving, forgiving, compassionate, infinitely good God with throwing 2/3rds of the world's current population into Hell -- not for being bad people -- but for merely being a Muslim, a Hindu, a Budhist, a Wiccan, a Taoist, an atheist, or simply being confused.

That is bigotry on a grand scale -- intolerance on a level unheard of. If a human being rounded up every non-Christian and set about torturing them all, would Christians cheer upon hearing their screams? Giving a free pass to God to commit the same atrocity only means you worship a wicked god -- NOT that your god is suddenly doing a good deed because whatever he does is good. If morality does not exist independently of God, then God can never be trusted.

It's a truly sad day on planet earth when I have to even answer such a question.

Let's see ... why is it vindictive that God/Jesus wants to eternally torture people who failed to bow down and worship him/them?

Seriously?

I suppose to someone who already bows, kneels, worships, and blindly obeys this ancient Hebrew god, eternal hellfire for those who don't join the cult is just par for the course, eh? Nothing unusual about that, right?

Historically, that is true. There isn't anything unusual about it ... but it's still vindictive. It's not punishment but more akin to revenge. After all, they're not being sentenced to Hell for being horrible people. Even wonderful, nice, kind, inwardly beautiful people will end up with pitchforks up their arses thanks to your god's massive ego -- because that's what underlies the whole thing: "Good or bad, nice or rude, generous or miserly, loved or hated, doesn't matter. You didn't bow down and worship me so off to Hell with ya."

That's vindictiveness disguised as a punishment.

Flawed, you say? Nope, you lose. Here, play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Why, might you ask, do you deserve a fail horn? Because you *would* be correct IF we were talking about human beings.

But we're not.

We're talking about your God. Unless God modifies his morality based on whatever is acceptable in human culture at the time, your logic holds no water. If you claim that God *does* change his morality based on whatever is morally en vogue in Western culture at any given time, then ... uhm ... what's the point of even *having* God around? He's just mimicking what we do or, more accurately, we're just having God agree with whatever we're doing so we never actually displease him AND we can always rationalize our crummy behavior with God.

Yeah, human morality changes -- however those changes haven't been chaotic. It's not as though, were you to graph it with a line graph, it would look like a mountain range with society sometimes being good, sometimes being bad.

In reality, society has been trending upward toward compassion, tolerance, fairness, etc., for the past 300 or so years and we're still climbing. This is why we ignore the vast majority of Biblical rules these days -- our modern morality as surpassed the barbarity of the Bronze Age. That includes the utter depravity of made-up Bronze Age deities. Unfortunately, far too many people in both hemispheres worship desert tribal gods that should have been kicked to the curb hundreds of years ago.

Today, we need gods that are more enlightened. Unfortunately -- or perhaps fortunately -- it's nigh impossible to start a new religion these days because we know too much. We understand too much about the world and the universe. Any new religion and any new god would sound like the crazy stupidity that it would be. If someone tried to start Christianity today, it would have been rejected wholeheartedly and, at best, would have been a fringe cult with perhaps a few hundred adherants.

But, because Christianity is old and the Bible is old, for some silly reason, it has legitimacy. Yeah, that's basically what it comes down to. Because it's ancient, it's not crazy nonsense. That's a pretty weak and lame reason to believe in something, but there you go ...

It is a shame, though, because if we just *have* to have a God to cling to, we really need a new one -- a God more suited to the morality of *our* day, not the morality of a bunch of Bronze Age barbarians. Trying to shoehorn their morality into our present day world has resulted in nothing but train wrecks from justifying slavery to the mistreatment of the LGBT community.

People like myself try every single day ... and for the past thousand years we have won victory after victory after victory after victory. And I have no doubt that there will be many more victories to come. With each passing day, the morality of your god becomes ever more obsolete, archaic, and ignored.
I would like to address each point of your rant but that will take too long.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-07-2017 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Fixed a quote tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality