Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 03:54 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Entirely true, and His influence is discernable in the way we demonstrate the love He taught. It's really the way we can tell whether anyone has actually MET him or just the doctrines he has been taught by men.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,593 times
Quote:
Entirely true, and His influence is discernable in the way we demonstrate the love He taught. It's really the way we can tell whether anyone has actually MET him or just the doctrines he has been taught by men.
Yet the poster you quote clearly does not demonstrate the love He taught. In fact, he demonstrates quite the opposite.

Not to mention, there are good people , contrary to what a lot of you guys believe, that are not Christian, and haven't "MET Him". So clearly you don't need to have "MET Him" to demonstrate this love.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:13 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's
Sounds like your version of God has an over inflated ego. Sorry bub, but I love my family a whole lot more than some God who can't even be bothered to show himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Sorry, but I don't listen to strangers. Jesus has all wisdom and knowledge, so I listen to Him.
Such narcissism! Such arrogance! What scgraham is saying is that he/she has attained a personal relationship with a deity and the rest of you 'ungodly plebs' have not. Therefore the thoughts and the opinions of the rest of you miserable pieces of flotsam are therefore unworthy of his/her time. THIS is 'Christian Fundamentalism' at it's worst!

Are you like this is real life, sc, or is this just you being a sanctimonious <bleep> protected by anonymity on an online forum?

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-30-2017 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
A person is denying Jesus by attending a gay marriage. Jesus said:

Matthew 10
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
You know, I really do have problems with this alleged quote from Jesus in Matthew 10:34-37. A mere reading of it really does appear to give individuals such as scgraham and others a reason to actually 'hate' others under the guise of their claiming to 'love' Jesus. My own reasoning ability, however, tells me that this passage of scripture is either a misinterpretation by the stenographer who was there at the time taking notes () or the actual meaning has somehow been lost in translation. Whatever it means, for someone such as scgraham to actually use this passage of scripture to okay a person to reject their son at a time in his life where he wishes to share his joy with them goes against the more consistent teaching of Jesus TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

Old 03-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander
Would not the verses you quoted work the same for heterosexual marriages as well as SS ones?
Quote:
God does not accept same sex marriages; that's man's doings.
Only an arrogant twit would claim to speak for God. We are human beings and most of us (although I often have doubts) speak for ourselves. If two people fall in love with one another (even should this *sigh* 'go against the so-called rules') and wish to commit their lives to one another, then this WOULD NOT be any business of God or scgraham. How many times have you been told by others in your 'Christian walk' to 'butt out', sc? Just curious.

You and your fake cloak of self-righteousness don't fool me one bit, sc.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yet the poster you quote clearly does not demonstrate the love He taught. In fact, he demonstrates quite the opposite.

Not to mention, there are good people , contrary to what a lot of you guys believe, that are not Christian, and haven't "MET Him". So clearly you don't need to have "MET Him" to demonstrate this love.
An unbeliever explaining Jesus' love? You don't know Him and He doesn't know you.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:33 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You know, I really do have problems with this alleged quote from Jesus in Matthew 10:34-37. A mere reading of it really does appear to give individuals such as scgraham and others a reason to actually 'hate' others under the guise of their claiming to 'love' Jesus. My own reasoning ability, however, tells me that this passage of scripture is either a misinterpretation by the stenographer who was there at the time taking notes () or the actual meaning has somehow been lost in translation. Whatever it means, for someone such as scgraham to actually use this passage of scripture to okay a person to reject their son at a time in his life where he wishes to share his joy with them goes against the more consistent teaching of Jesus TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER!
Jesus' truth is like a sword, as it separates the wheat from the chaff.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
An unbeliever explaining Jesus' love? You don't know Him and He doesn't know you.
The message of Jesus is so clear and simple that we see this sort of thing all the time when a professed Christian demonstrates that he does not practice the way that message enjoins us to be. "How very Christian of you," said sarcastically is our most valid criticism and should strike us as something to consider if we profess the love of Christ.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Such narcissism! Such arrogance! What scgraham is saying is that he/she has attained a personal relationship with a deity and the rest of you 'ungodly plebs' have not. Therefore the thoughts and the opinions of the rest of you miserable pieces of flotsam are therefore unworthy of his/her time. THIS is 'Christian Fundamentalism' at it's worst!

Are you like this is real life, sc, or is this just you being a sanctimonious <bleep> protected by anonymity on an online forum?
Well, that sounds like exactly what the fundamentalists think of heathens like myself. I am just a baby killing, Satan worshipping, God hating, gay loving, POS as far as they are concerned. They don't care how wrong they are about us either. It is quite sad really.

Quote:

Quote:
Only an arrogant twit would claim to speak for God. We are human beings and most of us (although I often have doubts) speak for ourselves. If two people fall in love with one another (even should this *sigh* 'go against the so-called rules') and wish to commit their lives to one another, then this WOULD NOT be any business of God or scgraham. How many times have you been told by others in your 'Christian walk' to 'butt out', sc? Just curious.

You and your fake cloak of self-righteousness don't fool me one bit, sc.

Romulus, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts. We may be on two different sides of the religion/belief coin, but in general we are both speaking against the same thing. Nasty, ugly fundamentalism.

Quote:
Clearly you don't know him either, sc. If we put our two "are you a good person" resumes up next to each other, I have no doubt I would come out on top. (Yea, it's arrogant, but I feel comfortable in saying this to this poster) So, if Jesus is real, then I'm sure I would be in his good graces. Unless he is the evil tyrant you seem to think he is, then he isn't worth my time or effort.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The message of Jesus is so clear and simple that we see this sort of thing all the time when a professed Christian demonstrates that he does not practice the way that message enjoins us to be. "How very Christian of you," said sarcastically is our most valid criticism and should strike us as something to consider if we profess the love of Christ.
Nate is right. I may not be a Christian, but I certainly do not lack knowledge of the religion. In fact, the majority of us non believers were, at one point, a believer in one religion or another. The Jesus I have read about does not sound like the Jesus sc believes in, as he is certainly not practicing Jesus' love when telling his family members they come second, or trying to deny gay rights.

But what do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality