Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 03:33 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,661,769 times

Advertisements

Y'all are still arguing whether the Earth is flat! Whoo-Hoooooo!!
Even getting all technical about it! Oh, man! Gotta admit...it is the only place I've ever seen a debate about this in my whole life.
I love this board!

Old 05-29-2017, 05:17 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,923,780 times
Newsflash world---They have pics from outer space--the earth is round--a circle. a sphere

Old 05-29-2017, 05:26 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Even getting all technical about it! Oh, man! Gotta admit...it is the only place I've ever seen a debate about this in my whole life.
I love this board!
The fact that this debate is even happening is an example of the utter failure of the American educational system.

Either the public school that "littlewitness" attended did a poor job of teaching him science -- or the perochial school that "littlewitness" attended filled his brain with enough CRAP to clog every municipal sewage system in the continental United States.

Even the questions -- why don't we see the water curving on the horizon -- just hollers the fact that his 6th grade science class either had no science in it or he slept through the entire course.

Whoo-Hoooooo!! is exactly right. I'm howling with both laughter and sadness simultaneously.

In truth, I don't think even fundamentalist schools actually teach that the world is flat and stationary, so "littlewitness" chose to believe this bunk, probably out of some need to rebel against established scientific truths.

Isn't that right, "littlewitness"?

Old 05-29-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Christians never murdered for their god? For their beliefs? The inquisition .... ?
Come to think of it, didn't the christian god personally murder a whole lot of people? Like the whole planet bar a few individuals? And that was only one occasion .....
Oh, you don't have to resort to the Inquisition. Not at all. For damn near 500 years, the entire continent of Europe was in a state of perpetual war as Catholics and Protestants murdered each other by the lorry-load.

The death toll thanks to Holy Warriors like, say, Oliver Cromwell in Britain alone, is horrific. And that was just one man in one country. Never mind all the rest of it.

Atrocity beget atrocity which beget even more atrocity as each side butchered each other in the name of their God.

People forget about the Catholic-Protestant wars because the body count rose gradually over time. It doesn't have quite the shock value as something sudden and short yet inhumanely bloody like the Holocaust. The actual death toll from the Inquisition is insignificant compared to the incessant fighting between Catholics and Protestants.

Plus, we're only looking at the body counts from past events within the Christian religion. Just look at the way Sunnis and Shi'as are murdering each other without thought or pause as if life means nothing. That's why I scorn terrorists who claim they kill us because we bomb them. Why should that even matter when they kill each other like roaches over something as irrelevant as, for instance, whether Muhammad has a successor.

And ... that doesn't take into consideration how Islamic extremists are murdering Coptic Christians where- and whenever they get the chance.

Oh, did I mention the seldom-reported-on violence in Africa? Yeah, once again, more religion-fueled nonsense as people, most of whom are quite innocent, are butchered over stupid religious rules and the dominance of particular primitive god concepts. Girls are especially vulnerable as moronic extremists believe girls shouldn't be allowed to attend school -- yeah, because of some asinine religious edict -- so girls caught attending school are often kidnapped, raped, and killed.

I know it's easy for a Christian to think, "Well, that's Islam. That doesn't reflect poorly on Christianity!"

That's only because fundamentalist Christianity is penned in by secular laws that carry stiff consequences for carrying out the kinds of atrocities we see in the Middle East. But if those laws were not in place; if we allowed religion to gain too much power within government, as I said before, I guarantee you that the extremist branch of Christianity wouldn't be any different than ISIS. So I wouldn't mount your high horse just yet -- not as much has changed since the "old days" as many Christians might suspect.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Ahem...earth is not a planet...it is a plane.
What kind of plane? A 747? An F-22 Raptor? An AC-130 Spectre?

Maybe the earth is actually a helicopter? A hang-glider? A kite?

Sure ... why not. We're already in Wackyland with this stuff. Might as well go "all in" with the insanity.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:31 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,698,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What kind of plane? A 747? An F-22 Raptor? An AC-130 Spectre?

Maybe the earth is actually a helicopter? A hang-glider? A kite?

Sure ... why not. We're already in Wackyland with this stuff. Might as well go "all in" with the insanity.
And the moon is a plane, moving back and forth above the inhabitable side of the Earth, with a mobile round searchlight behind it causing the different stages between crescent moon and full moon, somehow.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,415,048 times
Quote:
Oh, man! Gotta admit...it is the only place I've ever seen a debate about this in my whole life.
And this is where it started:
Quote:
The horizon doesn't sink in the water...it remains at eye-level regardless of altitude...
"He laid out the horizon on the surface of the waters at the boundary
between light and darkness." Job 26:10 HCSB
"I was there when He established the heavens, when He laid out the horizon on
the surface of the ocean," Proverbs 8:27 HCSB
...I've observed this phenomena with mine own eyes, repeated by all of my family with their eyes...confirmed and strengthened by God's Word...evidence.5/23-littlewitness and 5/25
...furthermore, everyone always says..."I'll believe it when I see it." Belief/faith does not come by seeing. Faith comes by hearing....and that of the Word of God.
Science/knowing however, comes by observation...by seeing.
But I really blame Mystic ...when asked if he believed that 'we live on a spinning ball in a heliocentric system?'
Quote:
Of course, we do, littlewitness. The existing evidence is overwhelming.
Are you toying with the forum???? Mystic
Whywhywhy, did you start? LOL!

Old 05-29-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Whywhywhy, did you start? LOL!
*cackle*

Old 05-29-2017, 07:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
Quote:
I love this board!
Unbelievable ain't it? But only because we are trying to help this poor fellow, and I can assure you that this will be all the effort I expend on this.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:57 AM

524 posts, read 252,510 times
The answer will always be subjective. What you define as 'evidence' may not be seen as evidence to someone else.

There are many, many biological systems, patterns of nature and other phenomenon that can not be proven 'scientifically' as to why they happen. Some people refer to them as 'miracles' when they happen. Why these things happen are the real mysteries and why they occur is the key to your 'evidence' seeking that you are oblivious to.

Science is used to try to figure all of these things out. The very key components which are the basis of life, evolution and earth's creation will never be fully understood. Just because you do not understand or acknowledge something does not mean that there is or isn't a possibility that it may be true. That is why lots of people take the easy approach and call themselves agnostic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality