Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 04:31 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You say some things that make me think you understand what the Comforter within is all about. But then you overlay it all with this veneer of symbolic nonsense and lack of understanding of the true nature of God as revealed by Jesus which makes me think you cannot possibly be experiencing the same Comforter within. It causes me to fear for what spirit actually is within you.

Ditto, Mystic, ditto. Peace

Old 05-29-2017, 04:39 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I get it...and wow...I wonder why being an agnostic Jew...you would suddenly have
been given an 'experience'.
I ask all the time what on earth did I do to have had what happened to me happen!!!!
''Why ME, Lord!?'' (''But, Thanks..'')

I am so content...it's like winning the Lottery and someone sneering at me with jealousy and
I'm just happy and just can't care what anyone thinks or believes...I have not a drop of
caring to convince anyone. Just sayin'.
I believe, commenting on an older post, why people don't get on my case here...I'm into ''Live your Path...whatever it may be...
but, try to be happy, how ever you can...''
i may make a bumper sticker outta that! I just made it up!
Dear lady. It's the rejection of the "Just tellin' not arguing" ploy. Anyone saying how they feel and what their experience is, whether hey Interpret it or not - is presenting a claim for inspection and consideration. Don't ever take it personally if we then give our views on it, or why we don't buy into that claim.

We are not jealous of the warm fuzzies and prefer the chilly breeze outdoors (1). And we don't for a moment suppose you are 'Jealous' of what is to us - not so much a lottery win, but looking for the first time at our bank statements and realizing what eight noughts means.

I know our critiques, suggestions of alternative explanations and disinclination to accept claims based on personal conviction are taken as personal attacks, especially when the thinking method is critiqued. It is understandable when the claim is so important to the person's Faith.

But it isn't -ever -personal. Not for me, anyway. And I never take personals as personal even if they are intended to needle, wound, or intimidate - from hellthreat to 'You wouldn't dare say that to me if you were in from of me.." (2) . I know this is someone fighting for his beliefs, faith and everything that is his feeling of self - worth.

(1) While you're celebrating Memorial day, we are doing 'Pretentious metaphor week'

(2)I just translated that from the "Theist -English dictionary" to read "I would love to smash your face in for Jesus", but that could be my poor translation.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-29-2017 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
(2)I just translated that from the "Theist -English dictionary" to read "I would love to smash your face in for Jesus", but that could be my poor translation.

Roflol....yeah, I'm pretty sure that lost something in the translation....

Old 05-29-2017, 05:55 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Are you under the impression these other religions are not having what they believe are real experiences with a higher being? Are you really saying that only your flavor of God manifests perceived experiences? Many Muslims believe so intense that they commit suicide and chop off heads for their god. I got news for you, you and your religion are not unique. They likely believe you are as clueless about a higher being as you do them. I sit here from the outside and scratch my head that both(all religious) are irrational indoctrinated fools. Granted, I was a fool myself for decades, yet, I didn't just dismiss rational arguments that led to my leaving religion. You come here everyday and hear rational arguments and still do not see or admit the absurdity of your belief. Religion has proved itself to be a serious disorder.
Thumbs up on this post!!

Old 05-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'll take a surgeon over prayer everyday of the week.
I will also.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:00 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You say some things that make me think you understand what the Comforter within is all about. But then you overlay it all with this veneer of symbolic nonsense and lack of understanding of the true nature of God as revealed by Jesus which makes me think you cannot possibly be experiencing the same Comforter within. It causes me to fear for what spirit actually is within you.
Sometimes I think they same about you. I think we are talking about the same thing but then you get pissy when someone disagrees with you and I know it's about your ego.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I will also.

Not me, not if I don't have to. Got out of many of them with prayer. I got no desire to be cut on. Peace

Old 05-29-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraRhein View Post
Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

John 20:29 (KJV) Jesus saith unto him,Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

These verses ^^ appear to conflict. It states that men are without excuse in being believers since his eternal power and divine nature is clearly seen by what he has made, our environment. Yet he states “doubting” Thomas believes BECAUSE HE SAW JESUS FIRSTHAND then Jesus says blessed are those who have not seen him

As if Thomas’s belief in Jesus isn’t blessed, only those who believe without seeing Jesus in Person (in the flesh). This has perplexed me for a long time
I personally want an appearance also. Not had one....so not believing. I need my own Thomas story to believe this Christian nonsense, but I'm sure it will never happen. Maybe a road to Damascus type event also. Never had one. So...not believing.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am not going to try and convince you. Why bother?

I am curious as to why you believe it is flat though. Is it because of bible verses, because it appears to be flat to the naked eye, or for some other reason?
I am also curious where he thinks the edges are to the "flat" earth? LOL

I would also like him to explain how the Foucault pendulum works if the earth was truly flat. LOL!

Amazing that there are folks in the 21st Century who actually deny the earth is a sphere...as are all other planets.

I will never accept that ignorance is bliss. I think a person who spends their life believing in myths or falsehoods is not loving in bliss...it's a waste of a entire life.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I am also curious where he thinks the edges are to the "flat" earth? LOL

I would also like him to explain how the Foucault pendulum works if the earth was truly flat. LOL!

Amazing that there are folks in the 21st Century who actually deny the earth is a sphere...as are all other planets.

I will never accept that ignorance is bliss. I think a person who spends their life believing in myths or falsehoods is not loving in bliss...it's a waste of a entire life.
Oh, there are lots of other ways to simply illustrate a spherical earth without too much math.

Why can one see farther from a high place than the ground?

How does gravity work on a disk/plane/square?

Measure distances between multiple points. Easily verified by calculating distances using airspeed and time. Try and map those distances on a flat surface. They won't make any sense due to the distortion of converting a globe to a plane.

Where are satellites in relation to a flat earth, and how do they stay up without orbiting? If there are no satellites, how does GPS and satellite TV work?

How do different time zones work, or for that matter, night and day at all?

I could go on and come up with more examples, but I am still curious as to WHY a person would believe in a flat earth. There must be a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality