Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 11:49 AM

504 posts, read 300,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
People like you have always existed. So confident in their scientific beliefs, arrogant and condescending to anyone who does not accept them.
One doesn't 'believe' in science, one understands it. Or not, as seems to be the case with you. Learn the correct terminology.

Quote:
yet, their scientific claims turned out to be false and buried along with their bones. For example, bloodletting was once a perfectly legit practice. And once again, we have atheists in the modern day who act like we have figured it all out and we know everything when if history is a teacher then future generations will laugh at our silly claims.
Yup, that's the cool thing about science.. scientists are constantly trying to prove it wrong, and if they do, rewrite the science. That is what research and advancement is all about. Religion, on the other hand, seems to take Bronzed aged fantasies, and view them as the unalterable truth.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
One doesn't 'believe' in science, one understands it. Or not, as seems to be the case with you. Learn the correct terminology.

Yup, that's the cool thing about science.. scientists are constantly trying to prove it wrong, and if they do, rewrite the science. That is what research and advancement is all about. Religion, on the other hand, seems to take Bronzed aged fantasies, and view them as the unalterable truth.
Really, so are they constantly trying to prove evolution wrong? Because it sure seems like your camp has hammered the verdict shut on that case, not even willing to entertain the fact that you could be completely wrong.

Atheists treat science as a religion so it is a form of belief.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'll take a surgeon over prayer everyday of the week.
And I'll take prayer over being told by the surgeon that there is nothing they can do, go home and die any day of the week.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Really, so are they constantly trying to prove evolution wrong? Because it sure seems like your camp has hammered the verdict shut on that case, not even willing to entertain the fact that you could be completely wrong.
Evolution, and the age of the earth, the solar system and the universe are well established scientific facts. However, the underlying premises are constantly being tested. If you can find a YE scientist who can disprove any of the underlying sciences that give us those facts, he/she would win a Nobel Prize. Now, I grant you I may not be aware of any such scientific revelations, so I welcome you to provide me with that Nobel Prize winning scientist whose work would change the results from an evolutionary perspective to a YE one.

Your welcome to pick any field. Chemistry, physics, astronomy, biology, geology or any other science that is relevant.

I'll wait for your answer.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,788 times
Quote:
And I'll take prayer over being told by the surgeon that there is nothing they can do, go home and die any day of the week.
Tell me, did Jesus provide cell phones, tv's, cars, air conditioners, heart transplants, space stations etc..? You look foolish barking up this tree.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Tell me, did Jesus provide cell phones, tv's, cars, air conditioners, heart transplants, space stations etc..? You look foolish barking up this tree.
Some of the happiest people on the planet are the ones with the least amount of material possessions or modern day technology. Put your faith in man, and you'll lose in the long run.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Evolution, and the age of the earth, the solar system and the universe are well established scientific facts. However, the underlying premises are constantly being tested. If you can find a YE scientist who can disprove any of the underlying sciences that give us those facts, he/she would win a Nobel Prize. Now, I grant you I may not be aware of any such scientific revelations, so I welcome you to provide me with that Nobel Prize winning scientist whose work would change the results from an evolutionary perspective to a YE one.

Your welcome to pick any field. Chemistry, physics, astronomy, biology, geology or any other science that is relevant.

I'll wait for your answer.
A scientific fact should NEVER change yet you told me that science is constantly self-correcting. I don't think you can have it both ways. I'm sure the scientists of previous generations thought it was a fact that blood letting works based on their observations.

Of course, man is so arrogant today that we like to think that all those people who lived before us were just stupid. No, they were born with the same brains, the same mental capacities, and intelligence. Furthermore, your attempt to box me in a corner with your ridiculous challenge only demonstrates a lack of credibility to me.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
A scientific fact should NEVER change yet you told me that science is constantly self-correcting. I don't think you can have it both ways. I'm sure the scientists of previous generations thought it was a fact that blood letting works based on their observations.
Once again, it is clear to all you have no understanding of science or the scientific method. You don't even know what you don't know, nor do we see an attempt to correct that. That doesn't make you only ignorant, but willfully so. No person should succumb to that.

Quote:
Of course, man is so arrogant today that we like to think that all those people who lived before us were just stupid. No, they were born with the same brains, the same mental capacities, and intelligence.
However, mankind builds accumulated knowledge. We stand on the shoulders of the giant thinkers of the past. Most were not and are not stuck by whatever was considered to be 'fact' 2,500 years ago, but understood that as science advances, so does human knowledge. Knowledge does not equate intelligence, however, it requires a certain amount of intelligence to understand what precedent has provided, and not willfully ignore it.

Quote:
Furthermore, your attempt to box me in a corner with your ridiculous challenge only demonstrates a lack of credibility to me.
It was an attempt to 'put up or shut up'. I suspect you will do neither.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:39 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Some of the happiest people on the planet are the ones with the least amount of material possessions or modern day technology. Put your faith in man, and you'll lose in the long run.
But what if those people are animalists? I do not think very few people claim that knowledge makes everyone happy but aren't you glad that Snow discovered that cholera is a water borne and that it can be prevented with proper procedures or that a person can take a precaution that allows his heart to perform normally. But once again you go to the extremes of better to be religious than told you will die in a week. What about being told that you will be treated and in a weeks time you will be better or no treatment and you will be dead.

The big question for you Jeff is when you get married and have children are you going to be willing to use the latest medical knowledge to keep them healthy when they get seriously I'll or are you going to rely entirely on prayer and the medical technologies that are referred to in the Bible? Or are you going to use modern medicine and pray? When one has a loved one seriously I'll or injured most of us trust the doctor . Can they error, of corse however their success rate is much higher than a random odd.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 PM

467 posts, read 353,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I assumed that you were Jewish from your references to the Sabbath and the Torah - so don't you follow Yahweh? If you do not then tell us which god you follow so that we can address you correctly.
I am Jewish, which doesn't necessarily tell you very much. I think you may have hinted or stated outright that you are an atheist. Are you now telling me that that makes you an expert on what Jews believe? I'm not sure that I know anyone Jewish who claims to be an expert on what Jews believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality