Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 01:33 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,814,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Look at the reciprocal
If the "evidence" of your choice existed then what would be the point of life? You wouldn't have a choice to disobey and/or reject the existence of God.

There would've not been a need of us having intelligence, logic and ability to question or reason.

You would have been born, worshiped God all your life, died and entered heaven. Every single human would go through this flat and uniform life cycle. What's the point? You wouldn't have any other choice.

But now you do ... so enjoy your freedom of choice till it lasts.
Jimminy mate, you have a miserable view of God and life with him if it reduces everything to flat meaningless existence. In fact everyone has aspirations, but humanists tend to feel that life is not long enough to do al we would wish, and the other side seem to think it's too long before they are allowed to go to a better place.

I'll tell which sounds more positively life -affirming to me.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:40 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,102,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Jimminy mate, you have a miserable view of God and life with him if it reduces everything to flat meaningless existence. In fact everyone has aspirations, but humanists tend to feel that life is not long enough to do al we would wish, and the other side seem to think it's too long before they are allowed to go to a better place.

I'll tell which sounds more positively life -affirming to me.
Think of a cookie cutter production scenario ...

You are born > presented with the evidence of your liking > no choice but to worship God > die > go to heaven.

No intelligence required - no ability to reason required - no logic required.

Now, repeat this scenario for the 7 billion existing humans on earth and 100 n millions who lived before us, and all the millions that may come after us. Everyone seems to be placed on a conveyor belt with no choice.

It sure sounds meaningless.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:41 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,843,089 times
Why would God expect us to believe without evidence?

He wouldn't, at least any kind of just and rational god wouldn't. Maybe he is insane or psychopathic, that would be one explanation. Or maybe, just maybe - a bunch of goat herders who thought the earth was a flat disc covered with a dome of water were wrong about other things as well, for instance: their religious beliefs.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 04-19-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,175,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Why? Because; for the most common reason, there is ONE PERSON G-d selected as a mediator to Him and they are not calling on Him. You must first have an understanding there are two kingdoms and one is G-d's and His kingdom has rules and standards and laws just like any other kingdom does, that it "runs on". His Word defines those, and the most important one after believing that G-d IS, is that we believe on His Son and seek to have interface with G-d through HIS selected delegate, not one of our own choosing.

I do admire to a certain extent the devotion of some in those other religions. I met a man studying to be a Hindu priest once, who asked me to pray for him, and he told me he had spent 4 hours every morning before going to work, praying for G-d to manifest Himself to him. G-d would that Christians would show that kind of determination and drive to know Him. Peace
Are you under the impression these other religions are not having what they believe are real experiences with a higher being? Are you really saying that only your flavor of God manifests perceived experiences? Many Muslims believe so intense that they commit suicide and chop off heads for their god. I got news for you, you and your religion are not unique. They likely believe you are as clueless about a higher being as you do them. I sit here from the outside and scratch my head that both(all religious) are irrational indoctrinated fools. Granted, I was a fool myself for decades, yet, I didn't just dismiss rational arguments that led to my leaving religion. You come here everyday and hear rational arguments and still do not see or admit the absurdity of your belief. Religion has proved itself to be a serious disorder.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,814,520 times
Quote:

You are born > presented with the evidence of your liking > no choice but to worship God > die > go to heaven.

Now, repeat this scenario for the 7 billion existing humans on earth and 100 n millions who lived before us.

No. I really thought about that.

believing God exists but not sure - meaningful life

Not believing that a god exists but not certain - meaningful life.

knowing for certain that a god exists - meaningless life.

Does that really sequitur for you? It doesn't for me.

No more than Not having any kind of God -concept -meaningless life.

Life has meaning for us whatever belief or not we have, and the only exception I can think of is someone for whom life has become intolerable (which I can understand) or who can't wait to be with God and would top himself tomorrow if the Churches hadn't put a stopper on mass immolation of the lucrative masses by telling them that suicide would debar them from heaven.

Martyrdoms excepted of course. As to whether you would be debarred from heaven if you went looking for it -you'd better ask the Vatican spin doctors.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,013,565 times
It does not make sense, and particularly does not make sense God would send non-believers to Hell on this basis.
The evidence to send someone to Hell, a punishment worse than anything on earth, would not stand up in any court of law.
It is also noteworthy that He sent down his Son, in an era of poor technology, so evidence of miracles etc cannot be accurately conveyed to those alive on earth over 2000 years later.
Obviously He thinks differently to us, but we can still believe, as those ancient and pagan cultures did as well.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,843,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
It does not make sense, and particularly does not make sense God would send non-believers to Hell on this basis.
The evidence to send someone to Hell, a punishment worse than anything on earth, would not stand up in any court of law.
It is also noteworthy that he sent down his Son, in an era of poor technology, so evidence of miracles etc cannot be accurately conveyed to those alive on earth over 2000 years later.
Obviously He thinks differently to us, but we can still believe, as those ancient and pagan cultures did as well.
God works in mysterious and EXCLUSIVELY non-verifiable ways it seems.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:30 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,703,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Nope. Good luck proving such a thing. There is scientific basis to explain that experience. Plus I've had too many other "experiences" that tie into God. And yes, I am aware of other spiritual entities.
Were you a believer before these experiences, or did these experiences convince you that your God existed and was the source?

Old 04-19-2017, 02:58 PM

7,254 posts, read 7,108,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
One example: God gave me a lucid dream about my job at 3 AM. The exact course of events came to pass at 11AM.

In a nutshell I had a position from hell and had been asking God for help. That dream was about being transferred to a position that was much better for me. Quite the dream. I remember it in full detail to this day.

Prove the dream didn't come from Satan.

Just because you perceive the job change as better doesn't mean it is. Perhaps God wanted you to learn something from being in a tough job but Satan sent you a dream and got you out of that job.

See how that works?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:36 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
Quote:

Now, repeat this scenario for the 7 billion existing humans on earth and 100 n millions who lived before us, and all the millions that may come after us. Everyone seems to be placed on a conveyor belt with no choice.

we don't know what energy is. we do know it does work. life is work.

It keeps nothing from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality