Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Jesus said the poor we would have with us always. Why do you think that is? Peace
Well obviously, since he was not a god, he couldn't do anything about it. How convenient is it that Christians can meet at their churches and boast of their perceived blessings and miracles, here in the land of plenty, yet excuse the poverty of the world, because Jesus said they would always be there. Your mentality reminds me of the Pharisees.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Well obviously, since he was not a god, he couldn't do anything about it. How convenient is it that Christians can meet at their churches and boast of their perceived blessings and miracles, here in the land of plenty, yet excuse the poverty of the world, because Jesus said they would always be there. Your mentality reminds me of the Pharisees.

No one is excusing anything and you didn't understand what I said. There will always be poor because: 1)without those with less, those with more can't be tested in their charity, and 2) this kingdom will always have buying and selling because it denotes someone has lack, whereas His kingdom has no lack. Like it or not, it can be no other way, perfection will never be found here, but one's reaction to it and works towards it will be accounted for in the last day. Peace

Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
No one is excusing anything and you didn't understand what I said. There will always be poor because: 1)without those with less, those with more can't be tested in their charity, and 2) this kingdom will always have buying and selling because it denotes someone has lack, whereas His kingdom has no lack. Like it or not, it can be no other way, perfection will never be found here, but one's reaction to it and works towards it will be accounted for in the last day. Peace
So, those billions who struggle everyday are your gods test monkeys? You really should read yourself before you post. Again, all I see is an arrogant Christian that believes he is special to his flavor of God, while billions suffer without your all loving god elsewhere.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
So, those billions who struggle everyday are your gods test monkeys? You really should read yourself before you post. Again, all I see is an arrogant Christian that believes he is special to his flavor of God, while billions suffer without your all loving god elsewhere.

I just share the principles that exist. If they offend you and your idea of what He should do, take it up with Him.

Well, your blinders have deceived you. I'm a Messianic Jew. And we are all special to G-d, He created us for His purpose, and we can't create what is convenient for us to have as a god and then tell Him how to run things, ie. the potter and the clay. Which, in the case of atheists, whose god is their own belly (innermost being). Peace

Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I just share the principles that exist. If they offend you and your idea of what He should do, take it up with Him.

Well, your blinders have deceived you. I'm a Messianic Jew. And we are all special to G-d, He created us for His purpose, and we can't create what is convenient for us to have as a god and then tell Him how to run things, ie. the potter and the clay. Which, in the case of atheists, whose god is their own belly (innermost being). Peace
Hardly the principles of an all knowing and loving god, and there is no him to take it up with. Jews/Christians/ Muslims all blindly follow mythical writings of men.

If everyone were special, your God would be blessing the vast numbers of starving abused children instead of finding your keys or paying your cable bill.

It's purely plausible that human morality has evolved to where we value honesty, fairness and respect for others without need for an old book that sanctions slavery, genocide and rape.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Been a believer since college.
So, how did you determine that it was your God that provided your dream to you? Did you consider other natural causes?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:12 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
So the topic is about Why would God expect us to believe without evidence?- whixh is really about what is the evidence to belive in a god? Never mind a particular one.

So we get all sorts of the usual arguments and we say why they don't convince Then we get personal experiences and are supposed to accept the conclusions - never mind that the claimed experience cannot be checked -on trust.

Of course, we don't. It isn't valid evidence. So then the accusations start with Goldnrule weighing in on how this is evidence of how rude, hateful and nasty we are -which wouldn't make us incorrect even if it was fair comment.

And then personal declarations of Faith and being told we should should be ashamed of ourselves because we continue to doubt evidence that is not worth a light even if it can be called evidence at all.

We are not going to bullied into accepting these claims when we can't be persuaded by poor arguments. And the attempt to try to smear us out of disappointment will only rebound.

It's a very strange situation when those who dismiss hard evidence as unreliable because scientists can be mistaken, then present anecdotal experiences which nobody understands, yet, and expect us to take that as hard evidence. Then bash us when we don't.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Been a believer since college.

Now that's just plain silly.

One: proving a negative is not really possible. Two: I am now retired and God showed his provision by changing my job situation. The lesson learned is that God does get me thru tough situations and he provides solutions.

Thank you for using proper grammar by using a capital G for God. So many atheists think they are being clever by using the lower case g, but it only shows otherwise. Like "their" is a bird or "your" outside.

Here is the problem with accepting your story as proof of God existence.

One, it could have easily come about without Gods intervention. You were stressed in your job, which you dreamed about as many people do, , your company had an opening elsewhere, and you were offered that position, quite possibly because someone noticed your misery in your current job. Nothing supernatural about any of this unless one chooses to make it so.

Two, and I dont mean to be flippant here, but the point still remains, millions of people, including children, have horrible issues in their lives, far worse than a sucky job, many of them Christians with Christian parents and family praying for them, and they die, have serious diseases or handicaps, are starving, are suicidal ( Rick Warrens son, for example), and yet nothing is done to change their situation. Yet God decided to get you a better job supernaturally. You see the conflict here? God being concerned about your sucky job but nothing happening about all these millions of far more horrible things people are praying for relief from just doesnt pass the smell test.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
This is simply Problem of evil in another form. Why doesn't God do something about it? Because we are being tested.

The theology of that goes all the way to the idea that God has to do this as He wants us to be with him and we've got to be tested to destruction so only those who make it can be with Him. It's an argument of sorts. But it works as well or better, though I can see why it doesn't satisfy the human desire that everything should make sense, when we say it is just the way things are, and all we can do is damage limitation. And while that may not satisfy the desire that everything should make sense, it removes the need to swallow as intended, natural disasters and plagues that seem to be a very harsh test with no evident lesson at the end of it.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Here is the problem with accepting your story as proof of God existence.

One, it could have easily come about without Gods intervention. You were stressed in your job, which you dreamed about as many people do, , your company had an opening elsewhere, and you were offered that position, quite possibly because someone noticed your misery in your current job. Nothing supernatural about any of this unless one chooses to make it so.

Two, and I dont mean to be flippant here, but the point still remains, millions of people, including children, have horrible issues in their lives, far worse than a sucky job, many of them Christians with Christian parents and family praying for them, and they die, have serious diseases or handicaps, are starving, are suicidal ( Rick Warrens son, for example), and yet nothing is done to change their situation. Yet God decided to get you a better job supernaturally. You see the conflict here? God being concerned about your sucky job but nothing happening about all these millions of far more horrible things people are praying for relief from just doesnt pass the smell test.
It is mindboggling how the indoctrinated religious just dismiss these red flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality