Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 10:57 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The moral bankruptcy of EVERY religion is the attempt to force belief and coerce behaviors in compliance with dogma in the name of God. Our relationship with God is one-on-one, period.The ONLY beliefs and behaviors we should be concerned about are OUR OWN. We come into this world alone and we will go out alone. Everything else is human vanity, hubris, and desire to control others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
So what you are saying then is Buddhism and Christianity are morally bankrupt. And yet you refer to Buddhist teachings, and you yourself identify as a Christian. You yourself belong to the religion Christianity. You express loathing and contempt for something you yourself are part of.
If you would stop truncating my posts and taking them out of context you would be less confused about them. The bold in my post is what I was talking about. The moral bankruptcy I referenced is the attempt to force belief and coerce behaviors in compliance with dogma in the name of God[. Every religion that does that is morally bankrupt. If a religion does NOT do that, it is NOT morally bankrupt.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
If you would stop truncating my posts and taking them out of context you would be less confused about them. The bold in my post is what I was talking about. The moral bankruptcy I referenced is the attempt to force belief and coerce behaviors in compliance with dogma in the name of God[. Every religion that does that is morally bankrupt. If a religion does NOT do that, it is NOT morally bankrupt.
Do you consider the 10 commandments to be "dogma, forced belief and coercive behavior"? Do you consider "do unto others" to be coercive dogma and forced belief?

What about your own dogma that you espouse "love God and repent when you don't." Is that forced belief and coercive behavior? Is denigrating the religious views of others as you do repeatedly in the opening post coercive behavior?

Or are you going to say yet again that you have "beliefs" while other people have "dogma." If you are going to use words and phrases that are pejorative (such as morally bankrupt, dogma, coercive behavior, magical thinking, fanciful, imaginary, delusional) then it is rational and reasonable and logical that those pejoratives apply to you as well.

If you use more generic, more respectful, more neutral terms such as "views" "beliefs" "tenets" "framework of understanding" "theology" then, again, those terms apply to ALL.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-14-2018 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Previously you said god is nature, which includes tsunamis floods tornados and hurricanes. Those kill a lot of people and cause a lot of damage. And when asked you could not explain the difference between God and nature. That is not reasonable or rational.Then you said god is everything. Well, then that includes all manner of evil and dastardly deeds and suffering. And atheism too.
WE are everything that comprises us much of which is not very pleasant. Our internal processes that turn other previously living things into feces kill a lot of things and cause a lot of damage to those other living things. Is that US? I have no problem whatsoever separating the processes of nature and reality from the God they are part of.
Quote:
Now you say God is love. So you are saying evil and suffering and atheism and tornados and hurricanes are love.
This is why you do not understand the significance of the phenomenon of consciousness that we are part of. Those things you describe are part of the reality that produces God's consciousness and the love that defines it, but they are not love. Love only exists within consciousness. Similarly, the character of our consciousness is NOT defined by the "feces factory" that produces it. The character of God is not defined by the existing processes of nature and reality that produce His consciousness.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
WE are everything that comprises us much of which is not very pleasant. Our internal processes that turn other previously living things into feces kill a lot of things and cause a lot of damage to those other living things. Is that US? I have no problem whatsoever separating the processes of nature and reality from the God they are part of. This is why you do not understand the significance of the phenomenon of consciousness that we are part of. Those things you describe are part of the reality that produces God's consciousness and the love that defines it, but they are not love. Love only exists within consciousness. Similarly, the character of our consciousness is NOT defined by the "feces factory" that produces it. The character of God is not defined by the existing processes of nature and reality that produce His consciousness.
You still have not explained the difference between God and nature. How do you MPD in your own thinking and definitions differentiate between God and nature?

See if you can do it without using the word consciousness at all. Common words common usage.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-14-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
WE are everything that comprises us much of which is not very pleasant. Our internal processes that turn other previously living things into feces kill a lot of things and cause a lot of damage to those other living things. Is that US? I have no problem whatsoever separating the processes of nature and reality from the God they are part of. This is why you do not understand the significance of the phenomenon of consciousness that we are part of. Those things you describe are part of the reality that produces God's consciousness and the love that defines it, but they are not love. Love only exists within consciousness. Similarly, the character of our consciousness is NOT defined by the "feces factory" that produces it. The character of God is not defined by the existing processes of nature and reality that produce His consciousness.
Quote:
You still have not explained the difference between God and nature. How do you MPD in your own thinking and definitions differentiate between God and nature?
See if you can do it without using the word consciousness at all. Common words common usage.
Consciousness IS key to understanding God and Nature. Let's face it, without consciousness we couldn't even begin to do so. Nature or Reality is the physical "BODY" of God that produces God's consciousness much as our body produces our consciousness.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Consciousness IS key to understanding God and Nature. Let's face it, without consciousness we couldn't even begin to do so. Nature or Reality is the physical "BODY" of God that produces God's consciousness much as our body produces our consciousness.
use different words, expressions, phrases. if you can't say whatever it is you are trying to say without using the word "consciousness" then your meaning is not clear.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
use different words, expressions, phrases. if you can't say whatever it is you are trying to say without using the word "consciousness" then your meaning is not clear.
Just because your mind is trapped in a set of traditions and concepts that you feel comfortable with does not mean that my explanations must conform to those primitive and antiquated concepts. You are your consciousness so trying to eliminate consciousness from the discussion is trying to remove you from it.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 PM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Do you consider the 10 commandments to be "dogma, forced belief and coercive behavior"? Do you consider "do unto others" to be coercive dogma and forced belief?

What about your own dogma that you espouse "love God and repent when you don't." Is that forced belief and coercive behavior? Is denigrating the religious views of others as you do repeatedly in the opening post coercive behavior?

Or are you going to say yet again that you have "beliefs" while other people have "dogma." If you are going to use words and phrases that are pejorative (such as morally bankrupt, dogma, coercive behavior, magical thinking, fanciful, imaginary, delusional) then it is rational and reasonable and logical that those pejoratives apply to you as well.

If you use more generic, more respectful, more neutral terms such as "views" "beliefs" "tenets" "framework of understanding" "theology" then, again, those terms apply to ALL.
Ya know I would rep you all the time bit it weren't meant to be I guess, they wont let me.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Just because your mind is trapped in a set of traditions and concepts that you feel comfortable with does not mean that my explanations must conform to those primitive and antiquated concepts. You are your consciousness so trying to eliminate consciousness from the discussion is trying to remove you from it.
i am not eliminating "consciousness" from the discussion (whatever it is you think that means). I am asking you to use different words or phrases so people can understand whatever it is you are trying to say.

nothing to do with theology.
everything to do with a person's basic ability to communicate clearly on line, and write a post that is clear and coherent.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-14-2018 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
i am not eliminating "consciousness" from the discussion (whatever it is you think that means). I am asking you to use different words or phrases so people can understand whatever it is you are trying to say.
nothing to do with theology.
everything to do with a person's basic ability to communicate clearly online, and write a post that is clear and coherent.
How can you NOT know what I mean by consciousness when your consciousness is what you are USING to conduct this conversation and it is what defines YOU as a person?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality