Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As the great Walter Stack once said, "If you don't end up a statue or a street sign, you didn't amount to much."
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 07:50 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That is of course the Question. With those 'Elite group' theories, the person propounding it always seems to assume they are one of the elite. And why? Because they thought idea up, apparently. It all smacks of thew idea of religion or cults. Superiority and privilege is assumed because they are an elect group. If he group is a tiny one, they will tend to isolate themselves from the rest of the unclean world and exercise total power of those in it.

Can't complain too much about what is a human -primate instinct of social group - structure, but religion seems to have a particularly unhealthy and unjustified version of it.
Yes. It's as if the "special snowflake" thing is nothing new. Take note, alt-right people.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lol
Yes. One of the reasons I know Satan isn't real is -if he was, he'd only need to offer an asteroid named after me

Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
I am surprised intelligent person like you are, Troglodyte (really? THAT name?) does not really see that humanity is CLEARLY set in a crowd/elite system. A pyramid. Elite at the top and chandala at the base. With various layers in-between.
It is SO obvious that I am not even trying to convince anyone, you have ot be dumb, blind, deaf and naive beyond any measure, to not see it. Or, do not WANT to see it.
One of the great blinds causing this is a religion. As religion is typically supporting a crowd/elite system. And, takes one's mental capacities away from being able to objectively look at reality and make unbiased judgements. Priest and politician are the same, politician is societal priest and priest is politician from religion. Their purpose is same - keep those under in bondage.
Dear OP. If you want down to a science on all this, with formulas etc, you will need to learn Russian and read on Concept of Social Security. You will find EXTENSIVE scientific analysis of what, how, when, why etc. Some works are in English... I've done my part. I pointed you in the right direction.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:12 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
^C'mon dude, OP's a LAWYER. Where would you EXPECT him to stand in re privilege?

Old 06-21-2017, 02:28 PM

1,333 posts, read 884,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It's ok. you are one of the snowflakes.
The snowflake thing was used to describe someone who would be offended if you questioned their position. Funny how the tables turn. Now it's a way to silence people you don't want to hear question position.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am surprised intelligent person like you are, Troglodyte (really? THAT name?) does not really see that humanity is CLEARLY set in a crowd/elite system. A pyramid. Elite at the top and chandala at the base. With various layers in-between.
It is SO obvious that I am not even trying to convince anyone, you have to be dumb, blind, deaf and naive beyond any measure, to not see it. Or, do not WANT to see it.
One of the great blinds causing this is a religion. As religion is typically supporting a crowd/elite system. And, takes one's mental capacities away from being able to objectively look at reality and make unbiased judgements. Priest and politician are the same, politician is societal priest and priest is politician from religion. Their purpose is same - keep those under in bondage.
Dear OP. If you want down to a science on all this, with formulas etc, you will need to learn Russian and read on Concept of Social Security. You will find EXTENSIVE scientific analysis of what, how, when, why etc. Some works are in English... I've done my part. I pointed you in the right direction.
I am never too happy with the line of "This is quite obviously so and anyone who doesn't see it is ignorant of blindly biased. and there is information out there you can go and find".

I am never happy with this whether done by the believing or non -believing side. Some kind of refutation and substantiation ought to be given, and some attempt to engage, understand and discuss. The idea of an elite pyramid of humanity is worth discussion at least to understand what that really Is, but just to chuck it in there and say 'obvious, even to the meanest intellect' really isn't good enough.

Of course, sometimes such gobbledegook is posted that it's best ignored, and anyone who can't see through it is beyond help. Otherwise a quick pointing up of the basic cracks in the reasoning would be enough.

In fact as a rule, I find the longer the response I give, the better the post is that I'm responding to.

P.s I went to check Troggo's (all you need is a football shirt and some knuckle -dusters) OP and it's pretty clear that it was not referring to social elites at all, except as irrelevant to spiritual Elites who become so through claims of revealed wisdom.

But there you have a perfectly good point as such self -appointed elites can find an elite niche in society - if they can convince enough people to believe they are the elite they claim to be - which is why erbots who would find it hard to hold a job flipping burgers are living in luxury by spouting garbage to an adoring audience that want to Believe he is telling them the Truth.

Religion is to blame, as you say. I said I wasn't happy with the lack of explanation. I didn't say you were wrong.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-22-2017 at 04:21 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 09:58 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"My friend, of course, believes he is one of the elites. His spirituality would be far more interesting if he had concluded he wasn’t."

It's ok. you are one of the snowflakes.
It seems Viz has met his match, huh, Nate?

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-22-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
If one does not have a belief in God, then all we are is a cosmic accident. The chemicals making up my body are no more worthy than anyone else's. So why does it matter?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If one does not have a belief in God, then all we are is a cosmic accident. The chemicals making up my body are no more worthy than anyone else's. So why does it matter?
You are right. The chemicals in our body are the same. Protons, neutrons and electrons are indistinguishable from each other. What sets each of us apart is the quality of the thoughts in our brain. As it turns out, working out the details of advanced mathematics, as Newton did in "Principia Mathematica," or understanding the true nature of reality as Einstein did with general and special relativity, have much more impact on human intellectual advancement than contemplating the imaginary in's and out's of make believe does. Because if knowledge doesn't matter, than truly nothing matters. Which is not to say that nonsense is not important. Nonsense serves as the benchmark to which knowledge is compared to. Without pure unadulterated nonsense, we would have no full appreciation of actual knowledge when we actually discover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality