Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 10:46 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,592,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Catholics don't go to bible study.
I'm well aware. Catechism bored the heck out of me.

Quote:
Lazarus is regarded as a Saint in Catholicism and Liturgical churches.
But good point, apparently Lazarus was dead for 4 days before being raised from the dead by JC, but just what did he see on the other side?
There is this account:

According to tradition, Lazarus never smiled during the thirty years after his resurrection, worried by the sight of unredeemed souls he had seen during his four-day stay in Hades. The only exception was, when he saw someone stealing a pot, he smilingly said: "the clay steals the clay".

Father Demetrios Serfes - Life Of Saint Lazarus
I am always amazed at the amount of detail in these types of treatises, as there are no written references, just "oral stories". I can't keep oral stories from 10 years ago accurate, how the heck can one do so over centuries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Catholics don't go to bible study.
Lazarus is regarded as a Saint in Catholicism and Liturgical churches.
But good point, apparently Lazarus was dead for 4 days before being raised from the dead by JC, but just what did he see on the other side?
There is this account:

According to tradition, Lazarus never smiled during the thirty years after his resurrection, worried by the sight of unredeemed souls he had seen during his four-day stay in Hades. The only exception was, when he saw someone stealing a pot, he smilingly said: "the clay steals the clay".

Father Demetrios Serfes - Life Of Saint Lazarus

There is a subtle "POWER" in what you say, Derek. I'll try to explain if I can: you start your second paragraph with a critical phrase: "According to tradition". Tradition conveys no history, no reliability, no authority, no NOTHING, frankly. But then you proceed to tell this story as if there is history, reliability, and authority to what you are saying. And somehow the reader is sucked in to your words and thinks that somehow, in some way....all you have said is true,

"Wow, Lazarus never once smiled for thirty years after Jesus resurrected. Imagine that! I wouldn't be surprised if after Jesus raised him from the dead Lazarus was able to look at people and know which ones would get to heaven and which would go to hell."

But what the reader has totally forgotten is that all this business about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead is.....pure fiction. Made up in the fertile minds of the Greek writers who anonymously wrote the gospels 100 years after Jesus was crucified and thus couldn't have known a single thing about what happened on that dusty Bethany road 100 years earlier. But there has to be some modicum of authority to keep your story from descending into total fantasy and so you attach the magic phrase, "According to tradition". Very clever. Let us not forget that we haven't a single word in the historical record about the 12 apostles.

BUT! "According to tradition"....they all went to their deaths believing Jesus had rising from the grave.

Astonishing what people fall for, still even after 2000 years.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:39 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'm well aware. Catechism bored the heck out of me.

I am always amazed at the amount of detail in these types of treatises, as there are no written references, just "oral stories". I can't keep oral stories from 10 years ago accurate, how the heck can one do so over centuries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There is a subtle "POWER" in what you say, Derek. I'll try to explain if I can: you start your second paragraph with a critical phrase: "According to tradition". Tradition conveys no history, no reliability, no authority, no NOTHING, frankly. But then you proceed to tell this story as if there is history, reliability, and authority to what you are saying. And somehow the reader is sucked in to your words and thinks that somehow, in some way....all you have said is true,

"Wow, Lazarus never once smiled for thirty years after Jesus resurrected. Imagine that! I wouldn't be surprised if after Jesus raised him from the dead Lazarus was able to look at people and know which ones would get to heaven and which would go to hell."

But what the reader has totally forgotten is that all this business about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead is.....pure fiction. Made up in the fertile minds of the Greek writers who anonymously wrote the gospels 100 years after Jesus was crucified and thus couldn't have known a single thing about what happened on that dusty Bethany road 100 years earlier. But there has to be some modicum of authority to keep your story from descending into total fantasy and so you attach the magic phrase, "According to tradition". Very clever. Let us not forget that we haven't a single word in the historical record about the 12 apostles.

BUT! "According to tradition"....they all went to their deaths believing Jesus had rising from the grave.

Astonishing what people fall for, still even after 2000 years.

But we are talking about sex in heaven.
What does the tradition say? Did Jesus ever had sex?

If not, then those who love and follow Jesus should not have it either.

I mean, no sex in Christian heaven is far fetched, we are talking about no sex in Christianity in this life.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,592,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But we are talking about sex in heaven.
What does the tradition say? Did Jesus ever had sex?

If not, then those who love and follow Jesus should not have it either.

I mean, no sex in Christian heaven is far fetched, we are talking about no sex in Christianity in this life.
Well, the thought just occurred to me, if Muslims (the male ones) can get 72 or whatever the number of virgins for their pleasure in heaven, there must be sex in heaven. After all, the Abrahamic religions all believe in the same god, whether they call that entity God, Yahweh, or Allah.

So, indubitably, sex will be in any heaven a religious person can imagine. Settled!

Old 03-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
something else which causes your credibility to plummet is if someone says one thing that is a "fact" then it appears you think that everything else they say is also a "fact." huge red flag.

I'm going to use a favorite phrase of my arch-nemesis, Mike555 to conclude this ridiculous exchange:

"WE'RE DONE HERE!"

(I love saying that! )

Old 03-13-2019, 02:17 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
....BUT! "According to tradition...
no different than "according to YouTube"

Old 03-13-2019, 02:35 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,327 times
So who are you guys allowed to have sex with when you are in heaven?

Are you stuck with bumping uglies with all your partners you divorced here in reality or is it a free for all?

Do you have sex organs in heaven?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 03-13-2019 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So who are you guys allowed to have sex with when you are in heaven?

Are you stuck with bumping uglies with all your partners you divorced here in reality or is it a free for all?

Do you have sex organs in heaven?
I don't know - many of the members seem to have their own fantasies - someone mentioned "camels" up there somewhere.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte
....BUT! "According to tradition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no different than "according to YouTube"
"We're done here!"
(heh heh love that!)

Old 03-13-2019, 03:49 PM

11 posts, read 8,835 times
Complex question... the fun reply is I hope so. Assuming it's my 20ish year old self, hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality