Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 03:07 PM

90 posts, read 55,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Written,

Why are you ignoring the Author?

Haven't you heard that chava (eve is the mother of all living.
Have you read what The Author has to say about Women?

You speak of a catholic grandmother as a descriptive title that has no foundation.
The days are over that catholic is synonomous with the believers Baptised in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Ruach Hakadosh.

Sadly, many have refused to raise the banner.

Simply put,
catholic, is used by many who do not believe in Yeshua (jesus.
And so the the associative pretense is used by the sowers of deciet.

It is very well known through the entire world that the Holy Scripture is God breathed.
I'm sorry, I did not see this but can respond, I think. I speak much of Catholicism only here for the fact that religion personally for me was from a European viewpoint. I also learned more of Christianity's history largely, from Germany and Italy when living in Europe. The bible and different aspects were much clearer to me seeing the actual history in churches and the Vatican.

I believe the original poster was speaking of the bible largely and this is where I am responding. I am sorry if you feel Catholicism is no longer religion. I will have to disagree strongly with you on this point and offer one day you take a trip to Europe and maybe learn a little bit more of history of Catholicism in this regard.

I will stress that I am an Atheist. I have no connection to any religion in feeling one is more of a true belief then another and didn't intend to portray this. I was largely broadened in the viewpoint from Europe (very much a Catholic country) in the importance of knowledge in all religions. My kids learned about religion in the schools there but it was much, much different then the US in that they learned of all religions and in depth as theological studies; including Judaism.

I suspect looking at this from your own personal religious beliefs that it was this perspective you drew offense. It is absolutely against everything I live to give more importance to one religion or another and always respect beliefs, history and traditions of each person whom keep these as a deep love and tradition. There was no offense at all intended.

I am still unsure of the reference or offense to my grandmother and my own limited upbringing from her ties to her country and religious views but this was my first identity to religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 03:21 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
All I see here are assumptions with no backing evidence. If you have concrete evidence that shows languages existing in foreign lands prior to the time period of the Babel story then maybe your statements might hold some validity.

And yet you still can't show me how different languages originated. It even fails more when you try to explain it in the context of evolution. If we are nothing more than just another animal species then we should communicate like every other fricking one of thousands of other species. That is in a common language with common sounds. Yet human language is more than that. It is a construct of very complex rules and abstract meanings. Sorry, but it is too simplistic to just say language was created by cavemen pointing to objects and making noises.

https://www.technology.org/2014/06/0...emain-mystery/

As long as you come at me with a rude condescending attitude then I have no reason to consider your suggestion that I need education.

There are species of songbirds which do not recognize the songs of birds of the same species in a different region. Some songbirds develop a very complex song and other birds will cpy or adapt it for their own mating calls. Many species of a wild range of sounds to communicate with each other. Whales send messages over long distances in the ocean and elephants have long distance communications on land.

The simple fact that you try t9 learn as little as possible that doesn't fit into your literal Bible does not mean that others are unfamiliar to that information.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:42 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In another thread, a poster complained that several of us are off topic because we are addressing issues other than the very specific statement in the OP. He stated, "The validity of the Bible is NOT the topic here".

So I would like to make that a formal topic -- is the bible a valid work of non-fiction? (I think that's the best way to put it, but if someone would like to reword that, please feel free...because I'm not afraid to open up a true and broad discussion) of a topic.

There are many articles one can find by searching the topic. The ones listed below were of interest to me:

https://danielmiessler.com/blog/the-...n-of-evidence/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jo...b_2803409.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/l...n-1500431.html

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...on-ngbooktalk/

But here are my two bottom-line questions:

1. Is every passage in the bible historically true, and if not, what percentage of the bible do you think is fiction?

2. When a witness in a legal case tells one or two lies and it taints his entire testimony...isn't that bascially what we're dealing with in terms of the bible?

(And by the way, just to be fair, I have just as many doubts about things written in Buddhist scriptures, and I've never felt they were all non-fiction...I always felt they outlined valid teachings, but were not historically accurate).
What specifically do you want to discuss to start off with? Whether there are contradictions in the Bible, whether there's historical/scientific evidence for specific events, or what?

Old 06-19-2018, 08:33 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,730,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
There are species of songbirds which do not recognize the songs of birds of the same species in a different region. Some songbirds develop a very complex song and other birds will cpy or adapt it for their own mating calls. Many species of a wild range of sounds to communicate with each other. Whales send messages over long distances in the ocean and elephants have long distance communications on land.

The simple fact that you try t9 learn as little as possible that doesn't fit into your literal Bible does not mean that others are unfamiliar to that information.

Sounds are not language. The article I posted even explains why songbirds are a pathetic comparison:

Quote:

Songbird communication is a highly specialized and intricate system. However, it is also finite and linked to a single (acoustic) sensory channel. Human language, on the other hand, has recursively definable syntax with an infinite number of possible combinations, as well as gesticular, symbolic or other forms of visual representation. What is more, when song syllables comprise longer structures, new combinations have little or no impact on the meaning of the song, whereas human language semantics is highly dependent on the way sentences are formed.

There is nothing like human language out of all the thousands of other species. I guess that's just a big coincidence huh?

The sad fact is people like you only seek to tear down our faith and the Bible instead of consider the truth within. You NEED the Bible to be a book of myths.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
What specifically do you want to discuss to start off with? Whether there are contradictions in the Bible, whether there's historical/scientific evidence for specific events, or what?
Start with? We're 163 posts into the thread.

But for starters, I would like an admission from some Christians that some other Christians lie about everything in the bible being verified by archaeologists.

Maybe if we can get at least that little bit of honesty out of the way we can have a discussion that has some meaning.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Sounds are not language. The article I posted even explains why songbirds are a pathetic comparison:

There is nothing like human language out of all the thousands of other species. I guess that's just a big coincidence huh?

The sad fact is people like you only seek to tear down our faith and the Bible instead of consider the truth within. You NEED the Bible to be a book of myths.
If you need me to believe the Bible is a book of myths to feel good about yourself go for it. As far as language goes we as a species developed a large brain as we weren't good at much else. Not sure why you think that all species must be very similar in order to disprove science. There I lots to learn about life, the universe and everything that is not in your Bible. There is a book I read a decade or so that discussed why parts of our brain developed to such an extent and the reason that we were able to become more abstract in our thinking which language requires. Also how are you so sure that other hominid species did not have language? Oh right if it isn't on your Bible is is either a lie or doesn't exist.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Archaeology is the main tool to study history from that time period and there are numerous and on going finds that back up the Bible.
...and what is very telling with this poster is that, when that very same archaeology proves the bible wrong, he ignores it.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:47 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and what is very telling with this poster is that, when that very same archaeology proves the bible wrong, he ignores it.
Yes. Exactly.
I can admit that there are things in the bible that have been satisfactorily been proved by archaeology. He can admit that there are things that have not been proven. It's sad really to not be able to face or admit the truth.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:29 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Start with? We're 163 posts into the thread.

But for starters, I would like an admission from some Christians that some other Christians lie about everything in the bible being verified by archaeologists.

Maybe if we can get at least that little bit of honesty out of the way we can have a discussion that has some meaning.
I wouldn't say everything was proven by archaeology but a lot of it was. I will say that archaeology hasn't proved the Bible wrong.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:57 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
I wouldn't say everything was proven by archaeology but a lot of it was. I will say that archaeology hasn't proved the Bible wrong.
Really. You need to get out more. What about Jericho, Tyre, the 40 years desolation of Egypt, Nazareth, Solomon's kingdom, the Exodus, camels, the Philistines, Hebrews in Egypt, Kingdom of David, Jerusalem etc. There is in fact, much archaeology (or lack of it) that has proven the bible wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality