Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What a load of baloney. The Bible contains wisdom on a variety of topics that are still relevant today. Dave Ramsey built an empire based on the financial advise in the Bible for example. The laws of Moses demonstrate foreknowledge about the spreading of diseases and safety around bacteria generations before man figured it out.

Nothing you posted has countered my point. Archaeology proves the Bible time and time again. It shows that the first signs of civilization came out of the same region set in the Bible. There is no evidence of civilization elsewhere occurring before then. Not in the Amazon, not China, but all in the Middle East. Which perfectly aligns with the story of Babel.

OTOH, skeptics and atheists have to pull out some explanation out of their rear ends to explain why we have so many different languages around the world or even how language developed. And they fail miserably at that.
Not that he'll read any of it but....
https://www.bing.com/search?q=earlie...f37dc02cfda59b
"The Chinese writing system is one of the oldest known written languages – some of the earliest examples of ancient Chinese writing date back to over 4,000 years ago..."

"They predate the earliest recorded writings from Mesopotamia - in what is now Iraq - by more than 2,000 years. The archaeologists say they bear similarities to written characters used thousands of years later during the Shang dynasty, which lasted from 1700-1100 BC."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You still haven't explained how a complex language could develop and be understood when there is nothing before, no frame of reference, nothing to tell hominids what a verb or adverb is, or that a word or sound could have multiple meanings in different sentences. Writing it all off as being because we are the only species with a large brain is a copout. OTOH, I have a book of truth backed up with lots of evidences. It's not my fault that atheists are so close minded to accept any of it.
I have referred you to one book plus there is an entire field of study on how language developed. It is not up to me to post a complex explanation to a person who would call it a lie anyway. In the past you have refused to even look at sources of information that contradict your Bible. I had given you names of several books, easily available, that laid out the evidence for evolution and even one that explains how sciences and religions can and do coexist.

Some believe that the first languages were probably similar to the African clicking ones. I do not understand how you can not see how language cannot develop from grunts and the words to phrases to structured sentences to grammar and spelling rules. If we get our different languages from the Tower of Babel story how do you explain the existence of s9me from before that supposed time and also English, French, German or Spanish which are all much younger than Babel, in fact are from the last one thousand years. Or the development from Old Norse to Swedish, Norwegian Danish and Icelandic.

You refuse to accept any evidence from science, history, humanities etc that contradicts or even does not back your Bible, you label every single religion other than yours as false or lies and will not even accept a more liberal view of Christianity. Of course humans didn't wake up one morning being able to speak in full sentences with words for everything and adverbs and adjectives. Think of how a baby develops their knowledge of words, mama usually the first word they learn as it is much more important to be able to say that rather than a word like infinity.

The evidence points to Genesis, Noah's Flood and the Tower of Babel all being myths or stories and no more valid than the myths of the Blackfoot, Norse or Greek. Yes I am so closed minded that I do not accept your Bible as the only true book and all things that disagree with it are lies. Do you not realize how funny you sound when you call us closed minded because we don't accept your claims while you dismiss the claims of all others?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is what i speak to all the time mighty. List the various personality types we know and predict how they would express a statement of belief about god. weather its for or against is irrelevant to me when study the responses of people. I look at how and why they believe what they do.

The problem I run into is that there are atheist that do the exact same thing with their do-anything to stop religion and deny-everything statement of beliefs. They seem to be just like fundy theists in that they let a statement of belief about god determine how the universe works. or how people work.

Look at the personality that believes in a conspiracy that the usa planed those attacks. How would a person like that express their atheism and how would they address anybody that doesn't see it their way? If they were anti-religious, What kind of things would they say about religion? true or false has no bearing on it.
I have no problem with either atheists or fundamentalists per se; as a matter of fact, I have friends in both camps. And incredibly, I have a truther brother. I think he thinks I'm the victim of some sort of governmental mass hypnosis or something. Not sure.

It's when people start excluding and/or harming others because of their beliefs that I have a problem.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have no problem with either atheists or fundamentalists per se; as a matter of fact, I have friends in both camps. And incredibly, I have a truther brother. I think he thinks I'm the victim of some sort of governmental mass hypnosis or something. Not sure.

It's when people start excluding and/or harming others because of their beliefs that I have a problem.
My problem is that CD won't let me rep you often enough.

Birthers, truthers, flat earthers it seems like some folks just need to believe in one thing that goes against common knowledge.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
I thought factual information would be welcomed, and I was wrong.

The mindset here is very much the same. I've noticed the parallels many times. They believe what they choose to believe, and the mind is closed off to other information to the point where they will not even crack open the door to consider another point of view.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:

Yup, we are on the same page. that's why I evaluate each situation and don't make choices based on the color of the t-shirt a person wears. just because they have "atheist" on their shirt doesn't mean i blindly follow. "fandom" does not dictate whats right and wrong.

sometimes we exclude and sometimes we don't. it all depends.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:06 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
I wouldn't say everything was proven by archaeology but a lot of it was. I will say that archaeology hasn't proved the Bible wrong.

"a lot of it"

Define that term in this context.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:10 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I am not sure if they are lying. I think they truly believe it.

I spent way too much time years ago arguing with 9/11 conspiracy people. Not over the idea that an inside conspiracy was possible, but over details of things I know as a person who was in one of the towers that day and who worked in the buildings and had some knowledge of operations. They will come right back and tell me I am wrong because they read xyz on the Internet.

I thought factual information would be welcomed, and I was wrong.

The mindset here is very much the same. I've noticed the parallels many times. They believe what they choose to believe, and the mind is closed off to other information to the point where they will not even crack open the door to consider another point of view.

Probably true, but I find passing on false hoods to be tantamount to lying.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 AM

When I want to know about creationism I read books and websites written by creationists and view some videos. When I wish to know what evidence there is for a global flood I read books and websites again written by those who believe in it. I may, if necessary, also read books that refute those claims. I would not read only science books about the claims of Noah's flood ad there would not be anything about it in those books as well it is best to read the literature from the proponents of the flood rather than just from opponents.

It might be impossible to disprove the Bible as a literal and factual account if the only acceptable evidence is the Bible itself.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:42 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I have referred you to one book plus there is an entire field of study on how language developed. It is not up to me to post a complex explanation to a person who would call it a lie anyway. In the past you have refused to even look at sources of information that contradict your Bible. I had given you names of several books, easily available, that laid out the evidence for evolution and even one that explains how sciences and religions can and do coexist.
That's like me asking you to go to a Christian bookstore and read all the books there and then decide if Christianity is true. Not going to happen. And likewise, I'm not going to consider any sources given to me from an ilk whom is overwhelmingly condescending and nasty to Bible believing Christians. I will do my own research and so far, I am finding site after site telling me that the origin of multiple languages is a great mystery. Skeptics just have to make up some explanation with no real evidence. From a logical perspective, if we are just animals then we should all speak the same language like every other animal.
We don't even have similar languages. The multiple langues are extremely diverse and rarely share even the same words.

Quote:

Some believe that the first languages were probably similar to the African clicking ones. I do not understand how you can not see how language cannot develop from grunts and the words to phrases to structured sentences to grammar and spelling rules. If we get our different languages from the Tower of Babel story how do you explain the existence of s9me from before that supposed time and also English, French, German or Spanish which are all much younger than Babel, in fact are from the last one thousand years. Or the development from Old Norse to Swedish, Norwegian Danish and Icelandic.

Really, tell me how two cavemen never have spoke to each other would understand someone saying they had a crazy dream last night. Apes don't communicate that way and man couldn't either without a Creator giving a point of origin to language.

Quote:

You refuse to accept any evidence from science, history, humanities etc that contradicts or even does not back your Bible, you label every single religion other than yours as false or lies and will not even accept a more liberal view of Christianity. Of course humans didn't wake up one morning being able to speak in full sentences with words for everything and adverbs and adjectives. Think of how a baby develops their knowledge of words, mama usually the first word they learn as it is much more important to be able to say that rather than a word like infinity.
A baby develops language from hearing spoken language constantly. Even a dog can associate some things from human language. But if language didnt exist in the first place, where is the point of reference?
Would you accept a claim that your family are really lizard people? You would at least need extremely compelling evidence to even consider it. That's my point. I have a wealth of evidence and personal experiences to know the Bible is the true Word of God and Jesus Christ is the Lord and Savior. So you would have to at least bring a weight of evidence that exceeds mine. I don't see it. Just a lot of hot talk from extremely biased people who have a deeply rooted resentment and bitterness against Christians and ONLY Christians.

Quote:

The evidence points to Genesis, Noah's Flood and the Tower of Babel all being myths or stories and no more valid than the myths of the Blackfoot, Norse or Greek. Yes I am so closed minded that I do not accept your Bible as the only true book and all things that disagree with it are lies. Do you not realize how funny you sound when you call us closed minded because we don't accept your claims while you dismiss the claims of all others?
Writing off the Bible as a book of myths is being close minded. Atheists stubbornly refuse to study the Hebrew language or cultural context or just assume that the Bible should read like a modern day story book where every chapter is in chronological order. Do other myth stories contain numerous, I repeat numerous references to places and other historical figures? Do they contain detailed books of laws and genealogies? Even the tower of Babel is vague, but it references a real place located in Babylon which is modern day Iraq. We know that ziggurats existed there and that form of design would have been possible with the tower of Babel.

The detail in the OT is remarkable. Even in the story of Joseph, the specific instructions on embalming his father are in line with what is know about Egyptian embalming rituals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality