Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 06:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

When i see good evidence that supports deny everything I will join the deny everything sect of atheism.

I am betting i will wait a very long time. Like when we lose all science and are tossed back into the stone age.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:21 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Thjen there was that guy... gosh, what's his name... y'all know him, he's in media everywhere... some name that starts with J.... was dead for 3 days and came back....
Or at least so his followers claimed. His followers also claimed that he flew off up to heaven. Taking the word of others can result in being utterly deceived. Especially when the others in question have, or had, an ulterior motive to fabricate a deception.

So how does one go about differentiating the difference between an accurate claim, and a fabrication? The common way is to compare how the details of what is being claimed correspond to common experience, common observation and therefore common sense. For example, how well does the story of a corpse returning to life and flying away REALLY correspond to common experience, common observation and common sense?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Thjen there was that guy... gosh, what's his name... y'all know him, he's in media everywhere... some name that starts with J.... was dead for 3 days and came back....
You mean that white haired freak, friend of Joel, and Kenneth Copland? O, Jesse Duplantis?

Just guessing, but what is so stupid about people claiming to have gone to heaven or hell, is that heaven and hell is not a place.

For people to say they have been to either is ridiculous because it isn't a place, it is an outcome of being........

Those who say they went to hell are decieved or flat out lying because they don't know what the scriptures of hell are referring to, and those people claiming to have gone to heaven are flat out silly, decived or missguided.

Heaven is a state of being, it IS NOT a place.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
...snip...

Ditto with hell.

Too soon...

Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Something created the universe as we know it. Our limited intellects seek to explain the who. what and why of this universe and when it comes to the who part some of us have come up with the concept of god or even gods to explain it.

The universe and everything in it are an endless process. We are part of that unending process and when we die it is merely a change from one state to another in that process.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:08 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Is there a GOD? Or a continuous recycle process of life? Or does everything cease to exist in death?
There is no reason at this time to think there is a god no. And yes - all the evidence we have at the moment tells us your life and subjectivity and conscious awareness ceases at death. None of the evidence we have at the moment suggests it survives in any way.

Quote:
Have you any evidence such an event actually occurred?

Old 11-05-2018, 03:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
There is no good reason to assume that there is a god, afterlife, or reincarnation.
Exactly...don't assume....experience God directly...not from hearsay (books).
Same with the afterlife....you can have a sense or a feeling about both...but find out up-close and personal. Listen to very few...know for yourself.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Actually, it is both ....the ones that say it is not an actual place have never
been there or seen it....it is on a spiritual plane so you can
only see it or visit with the spiritual eye...if you are still in a body, I mean.
(Or when you leave your body having an NDE, also, of course.)

Sorry, but, just because someone read something doesn't make it true....in fact don't believe me!
Sit in stillness...until you know, also...dive deep...spend hours with no thoughts...complete and utter
simple awareness in silence and a stillness few have known....you'll see.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:15 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Yes, the fictional guy who was born at least three times; died at least four; was an angel; was a god; was not a god; never came to earth; died on earth.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Actually, it is both ....the ones that say it is not an actual place have never been there or seen it....
Nor - it would seem - have the ones that say it _is_ an actual place. So the ones who do not believe it to be one - do not have the monopoly on never having seen it or having been there.

Quote:
it is on a spiritual plane so you can only see it or visit with the spiritual eye...if you are still in a body, I mean. (Or when you leave your body having an NDE, also, of course.)
There is no evidence at this time to suggest NDE is anything but what the acronym stands for. An experience had when _near_ to death. Clue: The person did not die.

Nor is there any evidence that any one has "left their body". In fact some very well done experiments and studies were done on people who claimed to leave their body and no evidence was found that even suggested for one second that they actually did.

Quote:
Sorry, but, just because someone read something doesn't make it true....in fact don't believe me! Sit in stillness...until you know, also...dive deep...spend hours with no thoughts...complete and utter simple awareness in silence and a stillness few have known....you'll see.
Except many of us who do exactly that _still_ think you are talking nonsense here. Also for many forms of meditation it is a lay man error to believe that we sit around with "hours with no thoughts". When it comes to many forms - like Vipassana - it is not actually about sitting around with "no thoughts" at all.

I have heard a few people talk about meditation on this forum. Including one or two people who describe it so badly - and act so much unlike people who engage deeply in mediation - that I genuinely do not believe they have ever actually meditated even once ever. They just claim to because of the intellectual Street Cred it thinks they give them.

But I have yet to hear a single person on here describe a meditation experience I myself have no had many many times. And set not one of the experiences I have had - or heard describe - supports the nonsense metaphysics and supernatural claims people are so keen to tack on to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality