Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do "arguments" have to do with believing in God?
I'm talking about the arguments people use to support gods. When those arguments have been defeated by reason and logic, the final stronghold for the believer is 'faith'.

Quote:
You could win arguments in your own mind for eternity.
The arguments are not in our mind. We win them with evidence that can be verified

Quote:
But you wouldn't be one step closer to understanding the truth.
You have yet to demonstrate 'truth'. (you forgot the capital 'T')

Quote:
You are just telling yourself the things you want to hear, but it doesn't make them true.
You mean like theists do?

Quote:
People have always believed in God. What more evidence do you need?
You mean...' People have always believed in gods and the verifiable evidence shows us that the gods that people so firmly believed in in the past, are now covered in dust, sitting on the shelves marked 'Mythology'..as indeed your particular god will someday be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 07:14 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You mean like theists do?
Bingo! Now go find mirror, look into it, and think about all the things you have been saying.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Bingo! Now go find mirror, look into it, and think about all the things you have been saying.
I don't tell myself (and others) that things are true simply because I want them to be. See the difference?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
I don't tell myself (and others) that things are true simply because I want them to be. See the difference?
No. That is exactly what you are in denial about.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No.
No. I didn't think you would.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Faith is believing without verifiable evidence. It's the last bastion of those that have had their arguments defeated by reason and logic.
Wrong.
You don’t have a “verifiable evidence” that God does not exist YET you believe in it.

“The lack of evidence of God’s existence” is actually the last resort of Atheists to believe that God does not exist.

And thiere is always a possibility to get this wrong, because absense of evidence may not necessarily mean the evidence of absense.

1000 years ago, there was no evidence that oxygen existed - this doesn’t automatically mean that oxygen did not exist then.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:15 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Wrong.
You don’t have a “verifiable evidence” that God does not exist YET you believe in it.
How can someone be wrong about an argument they have not made?

Quote:
“The lack of evidence of God’s existence” is actually the last resort of Atheists to believe that God does not exist.
Last resort? What are you talking about? The lack of evidence is just one line of reason.

Quote:
And thiere is always a possibility to get this wrong, because absense of evidence may not necessarily mean the evidence of absense.
But absence of evidence does mean we have no reason to believe. This HAS been explained to you before.

Quote:
1000 years ago, there was no evidence that oxygen existed - this doesn’t automatically mean that oxygen did not exist then.
And? 1000 years ago, there was no evidence that phlogiston existed.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Thread title revised for clarity of intent per OP request.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Yup...Electricity was there all the time when cavemen were around.Right there..if they would have connected the dots.
Germs, too! Not discovered till the 1880's!
God can't be placed under a microscope, darn. Spirit is spirit and can be experienced directly, tho.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yup...Electricity was there all the time when cavemen were around.Right there..if they would have connected the dots.
Germs, too! Not discovered till the 1880's!
God can't be placed under a microscope, darn. Spirit is spirit and can be experienced directly, tho.
the universe is quantum computing us ... thats a brute fact (to steal a phrase)
the universe might know how its running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality