Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:22 PM

950 posts, read 692,665 times

Advertisements

Do you think that the Afterlife has a literal Hell? By that I mean the Hell as taught by Islamics and Christians, that is, an actual place where people are burning in fire, tortured for all Eternity.
I believe the wicked should be punished. But why for*all eternity? That would be the height of Cruelty. Should they not get a chance to redeem themselves? According to those Bible-teachings, what disturbs me is that the torture will be eternal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 05:04 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Do you think that the Afterlife has a literal Hell? By that I mean the Hell as taught by Islamics and Christians, that is, an actual place where people are burning in fire, tortured for all Eternity.
I believe the wicked should be punished. But why for*all eternity? That would be the height of Cruelty. Should they not get a chance to redeem themselves? According to those Bible-teachings, what disturbs me is that the torture will be eternal.
First of all, Scripture teaches ' resurrection ' and does Not teach afterlife.
Afterlife teaching implies the person is more alive after death than before death.

Can anyone think of anyone righteous who went to hell _________
According to Acts 2:27 the day righteous Jesus died he went to hell.
Jesus and the old Hebrew Scriptures both teach unconscious sleep in death:
- John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5.
So, the Bible's hell is simply mankind's stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead until Resurrection Day.
( Resurrection Day meaning Jesus' coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth )
Biblical hell (grave) comes to a final end according to Revelation 20:13-14.
After everyone in biblical hell is ' delivered up ' ( meaning resurrected out of hell/grave) then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.

As far as the wicked: Psalm 92:7 informs us the wicked will be ' destroyed forever' ( Not burnt forever ).

Old 01-28-2019, 07:06 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
I think we should wipe the word, "hell" from the English language and everything associated with it. There's not a single passage in the Bible that uses the word, "hell". It uses "sheol", "Gehenna" "Tartarus" possibly "Hades". It was the King James translators that turned all this into the Anglo-Saxon word, "hell" derived from the Nordic "Hel" the daughter of Loki who was cast down into an underworld of freezing cold. See how easily pagan myth filtered into the Christian religion in the Medieval period? But freezing cold didn't sound as frightening as burning fire so the Roman Catholics turned it into a burning pit of sulfurous flames to scare them dumb stubborn pagans into accepting Jesus.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:10 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,717 times
No. Many aspects of religion(s) are obviously man-made concepts, with no reason to think they really exist, but... IMO... the notion of hell (and heaven, just to keep things even) are the most man-madiest of them all.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 01-28-2019 at 07:47 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Why are you obsessed with one side the coin only. and do not throw the paradise in the equation to balance it out?

Does a person deserve to live in an eternal bliss in paradise just for trying to live a morally cautious life under God’s guidance? A short life which passes by so quickly that we hardly notice and it’s over. And in return, a reward for eternity? Does the person really deserve it?

If there is a hell and if there is a paradise then whoever created it has the right however he wants to use it.

You want God to operate under your wishes and under your commands and being subject to your judgement. Sorry but it doesn’t work that way.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Hell is a scare tactic used to turn some humans into sheep.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

If there is a hell and if there is a paradise then whoever created it has the right however he wants to use it.
I am sure that the creator of a hell and paradise has the power to use them, but not necessarily the right. Using a hell for eternal tortureis monstrously immoral.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am sure that the creator of a hell and paradise has the power to use them, but not necessarily the right. Using a hell for eternal tortureis monstrously immoral.
That doesn't matter to a slave.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Perhaps a good first step would be to show that there even is an 'afterlife' before going on to discuss what happens in it.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
First of all, Scripture teaches ' resurrection ' and does Not teach afterlife.
Afterlife teaching implies the person is more alive after death than before death.

Can anyone think of anyone righteous who went to hell _________
According to Acts 2:27 the day righteous Jesus died he went to hell.
Jesus and the old Hebrew Scriptures both teach unconscious sleep in death:
- John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5.
So, the Bible's hell is simply mankind's stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead until Resurrection Day.
( Resurrection Day meaning Jesus' coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth )
Biblical hell (grave) comes to a final end according to Revelation 20:13-14.
After everyone in biblical hell is ' delivered up ' ( meaning resurrected out of hell/grave) then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.

As far as the wicked: Psalm 92:7 informs us the wicked will be ' destroyed forever' ( Not burnt forever ).
I believe David went to hell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality