Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:29 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,526,493 times

Advertisements

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2015/09...abuse-victims/

Why again are we paying their property taxes for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Having worked with middle schoolers most of my adult life, anyone who thinks a 7 year old is capable of good decision making is a moron...pure and simple.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
http://churchandstate.org.uk/2015/09...abuse-victims/

Why again are we paying their property taxes for them?
Wow, that's sick.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:11 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Default Why is no one talking about the Catholic sex scandal?

Seriously, it is a religious topic and if it doesn't belong here, where does it belong? I've read and reread the TOS for this section, and don't see any reason why it is not being discussed, and robustly so.

Mods, if this is out of bounds, please explain why? I can't find a recently closed thread, so I don't think this is out of line, is it?

If people can't get angry about that situation, what can they get angry about in things that involve religion?

Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

If people can't get angry about that situation, what can they get angry about in things that involve religion?
It's something called 'Faith' old chap. A wonderful thing is faith. With it you can vilify paedophiles whilst turning a blind eye to Father O'Malley's little indiscretions with the choirboys and it lets you believe that a magician changed water to wine and then lets you vilify those who drink, whilst ignoring the boozey breath of Father Jack O'Fondler. That's 'faith' for you.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:47 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Seriously, it is a religious topic and if it doesn't belong here, where does it belong? I've read and reread the TOS for this section, and don't see any reason why it is not being discussed, and robustly so.

Mods, if this is out of bounds, please explain why? I can't find a recently closed thread, so I don't think this is out of line, is it?

The scandals have been exposed before - most notably in the Boston region back in 2002. But it was also exposed heavily in New Mexico way back in the 1980s. The pattern is very tragic and needs to be stopped. I was raised Catholic but don't attend Mass very much. I still go during Easter and Christmas but not as much as I used to.

My view is that the victims should be acknowledged and perpetrators should go through due process in prosecution. The problem is the statute of limitations and inadequate response by the churches involved. It has caught up with them in the public exposure. A priest who himself had been molested gave a very good outline of things that need to be done.
I Am a Catholic Priest Who Was Sexually Abused by a Pastor | Time

I am still Catholic because in cases like that I separate the perpetrators from the religion. They definitely should be punished where applicable. Victims should not be ignored.

With that said, the Catholic Church is very large. Not all priests should be "thrown under the bus" and assumed to be criminals. There are actually good priests out there. This chaplain received the Medal of Honor for saving wounded soldiers while under heavy fire in Vietnam while unarmed. He died while helping wounded soldiers and administering Last Rites when a US Marine jet pilot accidentally dropped a 500 lb bomb in their perimeter. RIP Father Watters.
MAJ Charles Joseph Watters, Berkeley Heights, NJ on www.VirtualWall.org The Virtual Wall® Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall

Old 08-21-2018, 04:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Who's left to chat about it? Most people now, as a matter of course, innately distrust large Christian institutions. Discussing the matter with each other makes no sense, but the alternative is to discuss the matter with the apologists, people so enslaved to the mythos that they will never be reasonable in their consideration of the matter. If the original cavalcade of sex abuse revelations didn't force a substantial change in the underlying structures that both fostered abusers and fostered officials who cared more about protecting the institution by shielding the offenders than they cared about protecting future victims and the general public, then what possible purpose could there be in discussing these more recent revelations?

Old 08-21-2018, 07:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
OP....It bashes a religion...mensa hasn't had his coffee, yet..he'll be by soon.
So I will get this in ...any organization should call the police on any abuse of a child...those that
hid these abusers
should be punished, also, according to the Law of the land....old, young , nun or priest or pastor or teacher.

Hate the sin, incarcerate the sinner, protect children.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
If you look in the Christianity and Atheist/Agnostic subforums, you will find threads related to this topic.

However, you are reminded that bashing a particular religion or specific denomination is not permitted.
If the discussion can continue about the specific matter of the topic as it relates to Religion and Spirituality, and it doesn't devolve into a Catholic-bashing free-for-all, the thread can remain open.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
The scandals have been exposed before - most notably in the Boston region back in 2002. But it was also exposed heavily in New Mexico way back in the 1980s. The pattern is very tragic and needs to be stopped. I was raised Catholic but don't attend Mass very much. I still go during Easter and Christmas but not as much as I used to.

My view is that the victims should be acknowledged and perpetrators should go through due process in prosecution. The problem is the statute of limitations and inadequate response by the churches involved. It has caught up with them in the public exposure. A priest who himself had been molested gave a very good outline of things that need to be done.
I Am a Catholic Priest Who Was Sexually Abused by a Pastor | Time

I am still Catholic because in cases like that I separate the perpetrators from the religion. They definitely should be punished where applicable. Victims should not be ignored.

With that said, the Catholic Church is very large. Not all priests should be "thrown under the bus" and assumed to be criminals. There are actually good priests out there. This chaplain received the Medal of Honor for saving wounded soldiers while under heavy fire in Vietnam while unarmed. He died while helping wounded soldiers and administering Last Rites when a US Marine jet pilot accidentally dropped a 500 lb bomb in their perimeter. RIP Father Watters.
MAJ Charles Joseph Watters, Berkeley Heights, NJ on www.VirtualWall.org The Virtual Wall® Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall
Why can't you keep your faith, but remove yourself from any support of the Church that won't turn over those priests/bishops and a cardinal to police?

After all, do you really need the Church to foster your faith?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality