Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 01:36 PM

4,765 posts, read 2,004,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, why don't you demonstrate what a fact is for us, Omega. For instance, you insist the apostles were real but they're only found in the Bible which is a book of fiction..

Th apostles are mentioned in the Bible by 9 different people. That is more evidence than you have that they did not exist. Where is your evidence that the Bible is a book of fiction? Another OPINION for which you have no support. Your lack of evidence us pathetic. Why should anyone believe anything you say?

Quote:
Harry Potter is found in 7 fictional books too so that must make him real too, right? If the apostles are real name some historical treatises they are mentioned in. Go on, show us what a fact is.

Amusing you classify something as fiction and think that makes him a real person.

The NT is a historical treatises.

If someone says something your can't prove false, it becomes a FACT. I have 9 men who considered bearing false witness a sin against God, who say there was apostles. All you have is your very biased opinion. You lose this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You are my senior by a couple of decades. I am generally respectful to my elders, always have been.

But obdurate ignorance is not worthy of respect.

And that is what you epitomize.

And you present an ignorant and bigoted view of Christians.

You thinking i am obdurate ignorant is just another ignorant remark made by a crude and rude person on the basis I disagree with you and you can't prove anything I say wrong.

You are also rude to all conservative Christisns no matter what their age.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You're 87! I take my hat off to you.

Thanks.

87 in June and all patriotic Americans will fly their flag on that day.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I have read the early Christian fathers. You have not.
I have ran plagiarism tests on the gospels. You have not.
I read the NT in it's original Koine Greek. You can not.

You are so far behind because you are afraid to think for yourself.

DUUH. Reading does not necessarily translate into understanding. Serious study of the "Bible is also necessary to understand it. How much time have you spent in studying the Bible? Not enough is evident.

Also, one must be a Christian to understand much o the Bible. The natural man can't(

Your plagiarism test are not valid because you do not properly understand that subject either,

I read from translators, who know Koine Greek much better than you do.

To say I am afraid to think for myself is a stupid, self-serving remark for which you have no evidence. IMO, you are more afraid to think for yourself than i am. Both of us can't be right and I back up what I say from the Bible, all you do is spout your very biased OPINIONS.

Have a nice day.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, the songs religious people sing have some truths that some atheists shy away from.

love compassion and understanding.

But there are some truths about your religion that you shy away from too.

jesus died and rose up for our sins is one of them.

That He did is a fundamental conservative doctrine. Why do you think I don accept it?

Quote:
there is no reason to base any law of of "jesus died and rose for our sins". its just to dangerous.

I have no idea what that sentence means. It is never dangerous to rely on the truth.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You also have the obligation to provide evidence for extraordinary claims, or we can simply disregard your claims. Nobody has an obligation to explain or prove you to be incorrect, although somebody may take on the challenge from time to time.

Most spiritual truths can't be proved or disproved. I accept by faith alone they are true, you accept by faith alone they are not.

We are both in the same boat with no oars.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I haven't seen anything yet but Eusebius' favourite old ploy "If you don't get me to admit that I'm wrong, then I'm right'.

This is of course the basic wrongheadedness of ALL theist apologetics - that their claims are true until proven false. And no proof is accepted no matter how good, because they work on Faith, not evidence. This is why reversal of burden of proof is the real battle that has been going on from the beginning.

I have always considered that the burden of proof IS on Bible skeptics, because i believe that it's true that a book that purports to relate facts and events stands as evidence of the apologetics claim 'If you dismiss that, you must dismiss every other book' has some merit. We can't cherry -pick which books we consider and which we ignore.

That's why I reckon Bible - specifically gospel - analysis is the only thing that really matters in the debate. First cause is actually irrelevant. 'We need religion, true or not' for the good it does' is irrelevant. Appeal to numbers, authority, the supposed evils of atheist dictators are all irrelevant. The only thing that matter is whether we can believe the claim that Jesus rose from the dead. If it is demonstrably a claim without credibility, the validity of Christianity collapses, even if Christianity itself doesn't

Let's see if we can't help you out.

I hope you do.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
We have. Obviously your old age and reading comprehension don't go together.

No you haven't., and you can' t give even one example where you have. Your problem, at least one of them is that you think if you believe something it i true. You seem to think biased opinions are evidence. Think again.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:54 PM

50,096 posts, read 20,855,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
How do you know Jesus was never called Immanuel. Everything the people did concerning Jesus is not recorded, and today many Christians refer to Jesus as Immanuel. The prophecy did not set a time limit on when it would happen.
The Bible states that Jesus was called Jesus. He is never given any other name. doesn't it occur to you that, if he had ever been called 'Immanuel' somebody would have mentioned it? And of course in the absence of any evidence that the name was ever applied, we are logically obliged to give your suggestion no credit. What more do you have?

Quote:
Most spiritual truths can't be proved or disproved. I accept by faith alone they are true, you accept by faith alone they are not.

We are both in the same boat with no oars.

No. You are arguing from the irrational position that unprovables either way are equally valid. Logically your claim has no weight until you validate it. Those who don't believe it have no requirement to disprove it, only to assess whatever evidence you put forward. Untill you understand this, you will never (like all those who argue from Faith) will never be able to construct a logically valid argument.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:01 PM

50,096 posts, read 20,855,559 times
Quote:
I hope you do.
I started, but I got lost. I'll have to start again.

I am obliged to concede the Harry did not ask any specific questions. He challenged your understanding of Greek.

So it's down to the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality