Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 01:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,127,565 times

Advertisements

Amazing that a thread about a little boy fighting for his life ends up being about the egotistical power struggle of internet trolls defending their beliefs in an afterlife and their theories about God-hood.

I just hope the kid lives.

Last edited by Astron1000; 04-28-2019 at 01:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 01:58 AM

11,047 posts, read 5,999,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Amazing that a thread about a little boy fighting for his life ends up being about the egotistical power struggle of internet trolls defending their beliefs in an afterlife and their theories about God-hood.

We all hope the kid lives and I'm sure we all feel disgust at the actions of the man who threw him over and sympathy for him and his family. But after 12 pages I think it can be expected for a thread to drift off a bit. It's a bit like having a conversation. It's also interesting to hear the views of others and to gain some insight into what other people believe.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:22 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,416 times
God might have intended for this kid to die.

Now satan has foiled god’s plan once again by making doctors save his life keeping him from heaven.

God now has to recalculate master plan, yet again

Old 04-28-2019, 07:30 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,471,347 times
Quote:

You might want to take your well-wishes to the Minnesota forum. We're in "Religion and Spirituality". The rest of us are on topic. Also, the "ignore" feature is your friend.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:39 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times
Quote:

No, you just want to take it as an opportunity to criticize religion which makes you look more ridiculous. It's always telling when an atheist resorts to name-calling. I am speaking as someone who has also done my own share of similar religious skepticism. It's a journey that leads to a dead end.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:27 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,073,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
God might have intended for this kid to die.

Now satan has foiled god’s plan once again by making doctors save his life keeping him from heaven.

God now has to recalculate master plan, yet again
hmmmm... didn't think about that possibility.

According to general Christian Theology and Mythology, the child (had he been average nice faithful Christian) would have been better off had he died and gone to heaven.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:30 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,073,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No, you just want to take it as an opportunity to criticize religion which makes you look more ridiculous. It's always telling when an atheist resorts to name-calling. I am speaking as someone who has also done my own share of similar religious skepticism. It's a journey that leads to a dead end.
Continued unveiling actually leads to infinite eternal lives, if you remain faithful.

Name-calling is rather detail-less, however, and is often not very helpful.
Especially given the emotional blow-back it often inspires.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 AM

6,470 posts, read 3,995,339 times
It still amazes me how many people think God is a popularity contest: if enough people pray for you, you're gonna be okay. We're talking about the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, the creator of the universe, not American Idol. It amazes me also how many people are okay with this belief, that God's tallying it all up like "Oops, Bob missed the prayer quota by one, guess he dies, shoulda had more friends!" God is not Facebook.

How does this, in any way, jive with God as the one who cares for the poor and lonely and friendless, who notes even the fall of a single sparrow?

I don't want to believe in a God who's like the popular kids at school, who will have no truck with you if you're not "cool" enough. My God loves us all and wants to help us all, and he doesn't do it based on whether you get enough "likes." My God is not that petty.

I also don't believe he obeys what we order him to do. My God is larger than that.

Meanwhile, as others have pointed out, what about the people who have prayed their hearts out and bad things still happen? (Don't bother answering. I know what the answer always is: "Oh they must've done something else wrong. Oh, it's just God's will." Well, if it's God's will anyway, then what did prayer do?)

If it makes you feel better to pray or to be prayed for, go for it. But don't tell everyone else that their wellbeing depends on whether God gets the right memo from the right person-- "Well, wasn't going to help Jill, but now Susan prayed for her so that changes *everything*!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And what does that translate into in plain English for us less astute readers ?

Are you saying there's a 4th and if so,what might that entail and/ or how might we reach it?
Technically, the 4th dimension is time, though I think some dispute that now.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:39 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So, what is your opinion and have you ever experienced what you would call a miracle.
I'd call it a miracle, and so would most religious people on this forum. Atheists would say, "the kid got lucky." Whichever it is, I'm happy for the little boy and his family.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:49 PM

1,402 posts, read 478,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'd call it a miracle, and so would most religious people on this forum. Atheists would say, "the kid got lucky." Whichever it is, I'm happy for the little boy and his family.
So is everyone who lives after a serious accident, illness or injury a miracle... or only those that exceed some threshold? If the latter, what is that threshold?

Serious questions... just trying to understand what counts as a miracle, versus what counts as "glad they survived but doesn't rise to the level of miracle."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality