Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:20 PM

141 posts, read 58,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, whether we know each other or not, because you aren't interested in what I'll call his "freedom of opinion". You're actually interested in your own opinion. So you're being dishonest.
We all have opinions on a variety of subjects. Sometimes they mesh, sometimes they don't.

Sharing those opinions are part of communication. I'd be asking for your opinion because I'd like to understand you better...understand your thoughts and such. Would I then share mine in return? Sure I would...again...it's conversation...communication. As long as it stays civil and respectful--it's actually healthy I think.

And, I said all the while...if you rejected or had no interest in my query---I'd back off and talk about the weather unless you objected to that as well.

Man, I hope you have no friends that sell Amway.

Ok, good enough...I shall strive to not be an invasive hawker. I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 02:26 PM

I'll be honest...I'm not totally sure what defines a Fundamentalist. I've heard the term several times but never really tried to define it.

I'm just a guy that cares about people. I'm not perfect, I don't have all the answers. But, what I have, I'll try to share with those willing to listen. As I told Phetaroi, I try not to be "invasive" as he accused me of being. If the person wants to engage in dialogue...I'm willing and ready. If they're not...I respect their wish.

Again, I'm just a guy that strives to not think more highly of himself than he ought.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I'll be honest...I'm not totally sure what defines a Fundamentalist. I've heard the term several times but never really tried to define it.

I'm just a guy that cares about people. I'm not perfect, I don't have all the answers. But, what I have, I'll try to share with those willing to listen. As I told Phetaroi, I try not to be "invasive" as he accused me of being. If the person wants to engage in dialogue...I'm willing and ready. If they're not...I respect their wish.

Again, I'm just a guy that strives to not think more highly of himself than he ought.
Well, it’s a thread about the Christian Fundamentalist Agenda - and from your posting history, I assumed you are Christian so I was trying to connect the dots. Are you - or are you saying you ‘don’t know’? I am trying to deal with/discuss facts per the thread - not perceptions of yourself.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Well, it’s a thread about the Christian Fundamentalist Agenda - and from your posting history, I assumed you are Christian so I was trying to connect the dots. Are you - or are you saying you ‘don’t know’? I am trying to deal with facts - not perceptions.
I am a Christian...yes...definitely.

My first post here really focused on the "Agenda" part of the title. In that Post, I admitted to having an agenda...Jesus.

As stated, I honestly don't know what defines a Fundamentalist? I'd say I'm more conservative than liberal if that helps narrow?

Old 06-07-2019, 03:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:

My first post here really focused on the "Agenda" part of the title. In that Post, I admitted to having an agenda...Jesus.

As stated, I honestly don't know what defines a Fundamentalist? I'd say I'm more conservative than liberal if that helps narrow?
Here's a quick quiz to help you determine if you're a fundie:

Are there female clergy in the church/denomination you attend/support?

Do you have openly gay clergy in the church you attend/support?

Are you in favour of same-sex marriage? If so, does your church perform such ceremonies?

All "no" = fundamentalist

All "yes" = not

Old 06-07-2019, 03:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:

In my book, Fundamentalist means adhering strictly to the tenets of the religion and its' Holy Book. This almost always (with the Biblical religion) will mean that Genesis has to be taken as literally true, and that means YE Creationism.

In my book (again) those who Interpret Genesis as symbolic, metaphorical (1) or, as we goddless say, 'Untrue', are Not Fundamentalist, even if they may seem like it in support for some social initiatives which the irreligious may see as 'Fundamentalist' (but that has the connotation of 'Extremist - which isn't the same thing).

I hope that that satisfactorily muddies the waters incurably. You are welcome

(1) never mind those who Interpret it to fit science, such as fitting '7 days' into 14 billion years by making each 'God - day' 2 billion years long, and never mind the morning and evening.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:08 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

You care that people think what you think.

But in reality, you seem to think that people are stupid. Yesterday I ran a few errands that probably totaled about 20 miles of driving. In that time, I probably passed two dozen churches. And most of those churches had big electronic signs out front with flashy graphics that included worship schedules and a telephone number or website. Why do invasive christians think that people are too stupid to look at churches every day, and at their signs every day, and if they need or want counseling or fellowship that they're too stupid to stop at a church, look one up on the web, or make a phone call.

Now, if you're sitting along the street with a sign, no problem. It's totally my choice engage or not. If you're wearing a t-shirt that says, "I'm a christian. Ask me"...fine, not invasive. But you asking me...that's just as evasive as if someone came up to and asked for the details of your sex life. It's personal.

Last edited by phetaroi; 06-07-2019 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 03:10 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
You care that people think what you think.
He wants to Save Souls, Phet. so do we It's why we are all of us here at all - even those who say they don't care.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:14 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Yes, whether we know each other or not, because you aren't interested in what I'll call his "freedom of opinion". You're actually interested in your own opinion. So you're being dishonest.
I share the same opinion as Phetaroi. When a Christian comes to me to ask if I believe in their god or Jesus, they have an agenda and have made an assumption that I need what they have to offer.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:16 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
He wants to Save Souls, Phet. so do we It's why we are all of us here at all - even those who say they don't care.
You keep saving souls and fighting non-existent gods and demons, Trans.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 06-07-2019 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality