Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. it is said in the Bible - Thou who I love, thou do I punish. OP, you look at it from a bit mundane perspective. Human life is nothing as compared to the existence of reality. Not even blink of an eye. Less than that. From that perspective, one that believes, knows that with a passingly short suffering, he gains eternity of happiness. It's those that are weak of the spirit that fail.
2. what is suffering? Personal opinion. Personal preference. Personal choice. How about this guy:

Is he suffering? Or, is he living a life more rich than many able bodied?

3. do not judge as you have no measure. Things that appear to be punishment may be blessing in disguise. Real life story. Mom's friend was supposed ot fly to Moscow middle of the winter. Night before the departure, her deceased mother showed in her dream, saying - beware of the 6, beware of the six! Next day, she was walking towards the airplane, which was pretty much covered in snow, with only digit 6 showing on the rudder. That caught her attention so much, that she slid, fell, and broke the leg. Taken to hospital. Plane crashed somewhere in Moscow suburbs.
So, on one hand, she "suffered" from fractured bone. On the other hand - you get it.

I agree with damnuluck above. If this is the way God shows His "love" then He can stuff His love where the sun never shines. In truth, God had nothing to do with this poor unfortunate guy in the photo. I've seen this guy on TED. He is an extreme case of someone who took the biggest lemon life could deal and made a giant pitcher of lemonade out of it. Most of us cannot do this. If this were me I would have killed myself long ago rather than go through life this way.

Thalidomide sold in the 50's produced roughly 20,000 babies born like this guy. The drug caused it, not God. Once Thalidomide was banned the deformities stopped, proving once again that it is man and nature who bring about much of this "punishment", not God. Christians are too deluded to be able to see this.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 07-17-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 04:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
I just noticed your name 'damnuluck'...seems you may be setting yourself up for failure.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
No, I don't think what the OP asks, but I do like the concept of the Ganesha whose image my Hindu coworkers used to keep in their offices. Freaky looking character with pink jammie pants and an elephant head with a broken tusk. I asked why that god in particular shows up in so many cubicles, and it was explained to me that Ganesha helps one overcome obstacles--but he is also the one that sets up the obstacles in the first place. You could probably apply that thinking to any concept of God.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM

115 posts, read 61,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just noticed your name 'damnuluck'...seems you may be setting yourself up for failure.

LOL I don't know about that!

What if you are born with a 'disadvantage' that held you back most of your life and has obviously colored your outlook towards life as far from rosy. Would you still say that person is setting themselves up for failure?

Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
For those of you who still believe in God, do you think that God keeps on increasing the severity of the so called 'trials' if you haven't failed the previous ones - kind of like a video game where each new level gets more difficult than the last one.

I have seen so many examples around me, where people have braved their misfortunes with unbelievable patience and faith, only to be faced with something even harder than what they previously encountered so much so that at some point they just break down and falter, so to say, which makes you wonder if God set them up for failure?
It should be remembered that omnipotent God created humans to be EXACTLY what we are, and got EXACTLY the result He intended to get. Omniscient God has always known EXACTLY how each of us would turn out.

Were we set up for failure? Apparently God plays favorites by being in direct contact with some of His "children," and ignoring others entirely. This at least according to the people that declare that they are special enough to have had direct contacts with God.

I personally have experienced no contact with God during my life. But I must also say, having reached the ripe old age of 70, the "trials" throughout my life have actually been relatively few. And I have noticed during the course of my my life that the "trials" which others endure seem to often follow as a result of stupid life choices. But, again, that may be attributed to God playing favorites. God did not create humans with equal intellectual abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldGgGFe194

Old 07-18-2019, 09:19 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
Quote:
For those of you who still believe in God, do you think that God keeps on increasing the severity of the so called 'trials' if you haven't failed the previous ones - kind of like a video game where each new level gets more difficult than the last one.

I have seen so many examples around me, where people have braved their misfortunes with unbelievable patience and faith, only to be faced with something even harder than what they previously encountered so much so that at some point they just break down and falter, so to say, which makes you wonder if God set them up for failure?
Quit trying to figure God out- we are not capable. Instead, trust Him.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:50 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
No. It's that simple.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:03 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Quote:
Says the programmed robot.

amen

Old 07-18-2019, 10:23 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:

How do you trust a God who, when He's not totally ignoring you He's constantly stabbing you in the back????????

Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:

God does give us more than we can handle to bring us to dependence on him. So yes...he can "set us up to fail". His desire is not for you to have your best life now. It's to bring glory to him.

Read Hebrews 11. Many of the great heroes of the faith did amazing things. Others got sawn in half, fed to lions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality