Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 05:12 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Truth.

Truth, like goodness, had nothing to do with it. It was the power of the church to kill unbelievers for so many centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 05:13 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I too have not watched the videos, but I have seen his arguments on his web site*, so I will not waste my time with his Youtube videos. His methods are the usual apologetics, nothing more.

* I prefer reading, just in case people use a word or phrase I do not understand.
I don't watch videos either. If you have something you want us to know, just say so in simple English sentences so we can all understand together.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:18 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
That a good point about the title, Petunia. Perhaps they should have used "which one(s) are true".
The video offers explains why Christianity can be concluded to be the one true religion. If you've already watched it, let me know something specific that you disagree with or you would like better explained.
Another possibility is that none are true.

Quote:
Briefly... If Christianity is true, and Jesus was who He said He was, and Jesus said He was the ONLY way to the Father, then there is only one true religion.

(I'm not expecting this brief explanation to convince you, just to show the basic reasoning that goes into it)
Jesus has no recorded words anyplace except in the Bible. So all of your beliefs regarding Jesus and what he said depend upon the Bible being true. The quotes the Bible attributes to Jesus were written down decades after his lifetime, and not by people who were there when Jesus supposedly said them. Rather, these were oral accounts which had been told and re-told and re-told, for decades, and with some passages of the 4 gospels, far later than that. What reason is there to believe that these accounts are accurate and/or factual? And then there is the problem of the many contradictions in the 4 gospels, both with each other and with other passages in the Bible. How can these writings be accurate while simultaneously contradicting each other?

Old 08-01-2019, 05:26 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Another possibility is that none are true.

Jesus has no recorded words anyplace except in the Bible. So all of your beliefs regarding Jesus and what he said depend upon the Bible being true. The quotes the Bible attributes to Jesus were written down decades after his lifetime, and not by people who were there when Jesus supposedly said them. Rather, these were oral accounts which had been told and re-told and re-told, for decades, and with some passages of the 4 gospels, far later than that. What reason is there to believe that these accounts are accurate and/or factual? And then there is the problem of the many contradictions in the 4 gospels, both with each other and with other passages in the Bible. How can these writings be accurate while simultaneously contradicting each other?
Hi Petunia. Here are a couple good resources that answer some of your questions:

[text] Is the Bible True? The Cumulative Case for the Reliability of the Gospels
https://coldcasechristianity.com/wri...-bible-insert/

[video] Good Reasons to Trust the Gospels As Eyewitness Accounts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-t...dDJDYT&index=1

Old 08-01-2019, 05:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Hi Ozzy. I'm curious to hear how you arrived at your current worldview. Thanks.
I grew up in the evangelical church. I got sick of it for a few years, but seeing the darkness outside of it is what really led me back. It's just the people in Bible believing churches, they were the true light which led me out of the darkness.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I grew up in the evangelical church. I got sick of it for a few years, but seeing the darkness outside of it is what really led me back. It's just the people in Bible believing churches, they were the true light which led me out of the darkness.
Thanks for explaining. Yes, there's no shortage of darkness.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:02 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Gee, I forgot. This forum is the ultimate authority.
No. Of course it's not. But neither are you.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:03 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't watch videos either. If you have something you want us to know, just say so in simple English sentences so we can all understand together.
I agree with this. I'm usually not going to watch some video. I have better things to do. But occasionally.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Hi Petunia. Here are a couple good resources that answer some of your questions:

[text] Is the Bible True? The Cumulative Case for the Reliability of the Gospels
https://coldcasechristianity.com/wri...-bible-insert/

[video] Good Reasons to Trust the Gospels As Eyewitness Accounts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-t...dDJDYT&index=1
These good resources make a lot of claims, but offer no facts to support them. I like verifiable facts.

The Cold Case Christianity article claims that the 4 gospels were written by eyewitnesses. This claim contradicts the Bible in Luke 1:1-2, which reads:

Quote:
1Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled[a] among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. (NIV)
Now, if Cold Case Christianity cannot even avoid contradicting the very book which they claim to be true, why should I think they are a reliable source of information?

Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
These good resources make a lot of claims, but offer no facts to support them. I like verifiable facts.

The Cold Case Christianity article claims that the 4 gospels were written by eyewitnesses. This claim contradicts the Bible in Luke 1:1-2, which reads:

Now, if Cold Case Christianity cannot even avoid contradicting the very book which they claim to be true, why should I think they are a reliable source of information?
I'm not offering to convince you, just trying to whet your appetite to seek the truth with an open mind. I'm offering some resources that I find helpful. You can easily search out other sources on your own.

If you prefer that Christianity is not true, nothing you encounter will convince you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality