Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:23 AM

428 posts, read 1,633,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Txguy2009,

I am sorry, but I have studied biology and I find the theory lacking. The question is, is evolution even defined clearly so that it can be considered a relevant study of science? No. It is vague and lacking. It is just a series of conjecture that does not rely on science, but uses science as a crutch to make it appear legitimate. Science in fact has little to do with the hypothesis of evolution.
Still waiting for your explanation of your repeated claim that knowledge of Mendel's work would have negated Darwin's "Origin". I have asked you twice to please explain this, but--er, I guess your study of biology hasn't gotten that far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 AM

356 posts, read 1,130,638 times
I am an atheist and not that well versed in science, so I tend to stay away from the evolution arguments. Why can we not have religious studies (like I know I and many others had the opportunity to learn in college) in the liberal arts departments and leave science where it belongs - which is not in liberal arts unless you want to study the Philosophy of Science. When I am sick I want a doctor who has a background in science not Revelations.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:37 AM

33,604 posts, read 37,245,373 times
Quote:
Txguy2009,

You are right science is sooo far advance that no mere mortal Christian could possibly understand one iota of evidence of evolution, so why bother even trying you morronic idiot!!! Is that what I am hearing from you?

I am sorry, but I have studied biology and I find the theory lacking. The question is, is evolution even defined clearly so that it can be considered a relevant study of science? No. It is vague and lacking. It is just a series of conjecture that does not rely on science, but uses science as a crutch to make it appear legitimate. Science in fact has little to do with the hypothesis of evolution.

But of course this is coming from a mere mortal Christian infidel and not a "real" scientist who is un-biased and thinking with a higher evolved super human brain.
Nikk, I have seen and debated many of your posts. It seems to me that most of your arguments are not based on science, but the bible. The bible is not a book of science. You and others like you that discard any science, even when you know better, because it conflicts with your holy book would be best to not pretend to be debating honestly. I'm not sure if I have ever seen you admit that anything in the bible could possibly be in error.
When I see you admit that some things in the bible could be in error, for instance the age of the earth, or the details of the flood story then I will know you are being honest. Until then your ethnocentric views or arguments are meaningless to me.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:32 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,033,443 times
A Fundamentalist Christian will never admit that the Bible is anything but 100% true fact because to do so threatens their entire belief system. Christianity is a fear-based religion and those who take it Fundamentally dare not question or study other possibilities for fear of drawing their god's wrath. It isn't a lack of education, it's a lack curiosity...and some people are more prone to accepting what is pounded into their brains than others.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,564,064 times
Many ,like myself do not understand a lot of science, but we know enough to respect it and to rely on it for many things in our lives and have been able to accept some forms of evolution..Personally I believe God used evolution in creation of the universe,our world and the things of it..Science has given us many ways that we can observe the growth of a seperate egg and sperm uniting to form an embryo, evolving into a fetus into a precious little baby..Although this sounds immature and funny to some scientists and atheists, this is one way that I am able to accept evolution, because God shows us in each pregnancy..

I thank science and the brilliance of the scientists who figure the answers to my questions and their discoveries they continue to make to make all our lives better..I am the first to admit that I am not qualified to argue with a scientist, simply because I already make a fool out of myself enough as it is..

Science, Politics, Religion..The three issues in each of our lives, whether we understand them or desire to understand either one, or wish they would just go away..These three control our lives and the world around us..I don't look for either one to disappear and frankly, I don't think we can survive without them..When we begin to mix the three together, we have family, local, national and international problems..
we see this every day just in these forums..

I thank science and the brilliance of the scientists who figure the answers to my questions and their discoveries they continue to make to make all our lives better

I am grateful that I live in a democracy and that I have a say so in my government..

And finally I thank God for my faith which I can neither explain, prove nor have any desire to argue that which cannot be proven..scientifically....
I have learned to live peacefully among the three things I cannot do without..

Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,447,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Nikk, I have seen and debated many of your posts. It seems to me that most of your arguments are not based on science, but the bible. The bible is not a book of science. You and others like you that discard any science, even when you know better, because it conflicts with your holy book would be best to not pretend to be debating honestly. I'm not sure if I have ever seen you admit that anything in the bible could possibly be in error.
When I see you admit that some things in the bible could be in error, for instance the age of the earth, or the details of the flood story then I will know you are being honest. Until then your ethnocentric views or arguments are meaningless to me.
Evolution isn't science either.

The original text of the bible are inerrant. The bible is clear on the age of the earth and is a clear historical account of eye-witness to that event that have taken place in the past. So, I cannot admit that anything is in error with the bible, when it IS the truth.

So, as far as you are concerned, I am not honest then!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,447,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
A Fundamentalist Christian will never admit that the Bible is anything but 100% true fact because to do so threatens their entire belief system. Christianity is a fear-based religion and those who take it Fundamentally dare not question or study other possibilities for fear of drawing their god's wrath. It isn't a lack of education, it's a lack curiosity...and some people are more prone to accepting what is pounded into their brains than others.
Close. There is fear when associated to God. The bible says "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."

But, there is no fear to learn all that science, and the world has to offer for an education. We just know the truth! When we look at Evolution we can see the lie. So, we do not fear historical science because it has no power. In fact it is not science, but merely notes the sciences that proves it and rejects (by omission) all science that does not prove it or disproves it.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Evolution isn't science either.

The original text of the bible are inerrant. The bible is clear on the age of the earth and is a clear historical account of eye-witness to that event that have taken place in the past. So, I cannot admit that anything is in error with the bible, when it IS the truth.

So, as far as you are concerned, I am not honest then!
When you state that evolution is not science and the bible is inerrant, and you actually believe this to be true then I would say you have been mislead, or are not being honest with yourself.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,011,343 times
I have a theory that a lot of them have had this religion business pounded into their heads from a very young age. Whether it's that they don't care to question their religion to find real answers, or they do a compartmentalization and create their "god box" in their brains which logic and reason won't seep thru, who knows?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM

This seems to describe the mindset I see in some fundamentalists.

Eight Marks of a Mind-Control Cult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality