U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 PM
 
25,790 posts, read 24,522,789 times
Reputation: 24264

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
God is Santa Claus for adults.
What a coincidence...Santa Claus is god for many children! Har har har.

Belief in Santa Claus: Don't know what to say. I'm normally very honest with my children but I did have them believe in SC. (The two littlest still do...I think.) My parents were "honest with" me and I was p*ssed because that way, I missed out on the magic. Just can't please kids, can ya?

Bottom line: we tell lots of stories to our kids, always have, probably always will and I don't frankly see anything so malicious as a belief in SC for a few years. It seems like most people who believed in him as little kids grew up not being mass murderers or in the psych ward so I have to assume it's all good.

As far as how God belief "should" die off (as well as Santa Claus belief), how completely silly. Why? I no longer believe that George Washington chopped down the cherry tree but that doesn't mean I don't believe there was ever a George Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 2,101,673 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I have to assume it's all good.
Assume being the key word

Children can be taught anything. ANYTHING

Last edited by Melvin.George; 05-02-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 08:49 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,943,439 times
Reputation: 179
as long as God keeps beleiving in Himself how can it die off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM
 
433 posts, read 517,751 times
Reputation: 91
Why Santa died off while religious God did not as a person growing up?

Because Santa is not a coercive religion; God is. There is no church of Santa, one does not need to worship, repent, rapture to Santa. Santa is not coercive. God is all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM
 
25,790 posts, read 24,522,789 times
Reputation: 24264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Why Santa died off while religious God did not as a person growing up?

Because Santa is not a coercive religion; God is. There is no church of Santa, one does not need to worship, repent, rapture to Santa. Santa is not coercive. God is all of that.
You've gotta be kidding me. What about all the "naughty and nice" stuff and having to be good for 364 days a year in order to get gifts on the 365th and the letter to Santa and the whole nine?

No, belief in Santa "dies off" because mature minds know from the beginning that there isn't literally a dude who comes down the chimney. Santa and God are not the same thing even in practice no matter how you slice it, although I know you're trying hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 PM
 
25,790 posts, read 24,522,789 times
Reputation: 24264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Assume being the key word

Children can be taught anything. ANYTHING
So you're saying it is measurably bad for kids to have believed in Santa and then realize there is no Santa later? Do you have any backup for this? Studies-wise, I mean, not somebody's pseudo-story about some untraceable person he or she "once knew" who wound up shooting at random people from on top of a McDonald's because he learned there was no Santa Claus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
 
433 posts, read 517,751 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You've gotta be kidding me. What about all the "naughty and nice" stuff and having to be good for 364 days a year in order to get gifts on the 365th and the letter to Santa and the whole nine?

No, belief in Santa "dies off" because mature minds know from the beginning that there isn't literally a dude who comes down the chimney. Santa and God are not the same thing even in practice no matter how you slice it, although I know you're trying hard.
You gotta be kidding -- for that useless thing under the tree on Christmas morning? You are a 30-year old, you call that a coercion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
 
25,790 posts, read 24,522,789 times
Reputation: 24264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
You gotta be kidding -- for that useless thing under the tree on Christmas morning? You are a 30-year old, you call that a coercion?
Seriously? I was talking about children. Are you trying to kid around? Also, I'm a 42-year-old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM
 
433 posts, read 517,751 times
Reputation: 91
Christmas gift and Santa to a child is nothing compared to religious coercion and religious brainwashing, which is re-enforced through out a person's life.

Think about all those years of Sunday school indoctrinations and church going through out the life with more preachings and brainwashing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 11:02 PM
 
25,790 posts, read 24,522,789 times
Reputation: 24264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Christmas gift and Santa to a child is nothing compared to religious coercion and religious brainwashing, which is re-enforced through out a person's life.
Edit: So your point is, as applies to this thread...? The OP's contention is that belief in God "should" die out like belief in Santa Claus dies out. You're refuting this, then, and agreeing that Santa belief and God belief are not the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top