Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Completely true we are in a constitutional republic where citizens are given/granted fair and equal rights. Citizens neither gay or minority status need to fight for equality or fairness because it is given to them.

The reason why gay people are "fighting" for it is because the Christian majority are still latching onto silly out-dated and bigoted belief structures that they believe are holy, but in reality restrict people (gays or minorities) of equality and fairness.

It is very challenging to argue this on the gay point of view because there are issues with "perception", what one perceives as rights is another man's complaint that it isn't natural and is a choice, and the challenge of arguing against the majority is often futile.

The majority can often seem correct in the eyes of the ignorant and naive and a lot of people would rather back down than spin their wheels arguing with the majority. You have to always consider that the majority isn't always correct. The most extreme examples of majority wrongness is Nazi, Germany and The United States laws (that used to permit slavery of Blacks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
You are wrong. While sexual orientation is indeed lacking in the Federal Level Protected Classes, gays are a Protected Class in many municipalities, including California.

You are wrong again. One cannot use the Constitution to impinge on other peoples rights.

And wrong yet again. If your beliefs advocate bigotry and hate, prepare to get the same in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
You are wrong again. One cannot use the Constitution to impinge on other peoples rights.
For now, perhaps. However...

No Person held to Service or Labor in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labor, But shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labor may be due

Article 4 section 2 (Stricken by 14th Amendment)

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. (see above)

Then there's the 18th Amendment, which is superseded by the 21st.

Still in principle one can use the Constitution to restrict people. Either by adding new Amendments, rescinding old, etc. The Amending of the Constitution does relate to the actions of people. California allows the people too much power to amend, but the ability to amend for restriction is precedented.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:12 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
You don't believe it now, but someday these arguments will seem just as wrong and bigoted as the arguments made by people for segregation.

If you live long enough, many of you Christians will look back in shame at having used your religion in such an evil way.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
You don't believe it now, but someday these arguments will seem just as wrong and bigoted as the arguments made by people for segregation.

If you live long enough, many of you Christians will look back in shame at having used your religion in such an evil way.

No they won't. But their children might.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It's not endorsed, either.

Look at the stories of David and Solomon, and other kings of Israel. When they started to marry numerous women and take numerous concubines they compromised their values.

Yeah, I do.

Those marriages were carried out that way because during that time women had little to no rights in the culture. When a man died, the kind thing for his brother to do would be to take his widow for his wife.

Not sure where you're getting the rapist paying daddy or 10 year old girls marrying. This isn't islam we're talking about.
Maybe you should read the OT again. And some history books about the culture at the time as well.
And keep your eyes open when you get to parts that don't agree with the apologist dogma you are trying to spin.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
For now, perhaps. However...

No Person held to Service or Labor in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labor, But shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labor may be due

Article 4 section 2 (Stricken by 14th Amendment)

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. (see above)

Then there's the 18th Amendment, which is superseded by the 21st.

Still in principle one can use the Constitution to restrict people. Either by adding new Amendments, rescinding old, etc. The Amending of the Constitution does relate to the actions of people. California allows the people too much power to amend, but the ability to amend for restriction is precedented.
You are arguing against a point I have not made.

While the Free Speech Clause permits one to call for discrimination, one cannot actively discriminate against a Protected Class.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Maybe you should read the OT again. And some history books about the culture at the time as well.
And keep your eyes open when you get to parts that don't agree with the apologist dogma you are trying to spin.
lol. ok. if you say so.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 AM

380 posts, read 691,903 times
AxisMundi:Apparently, there's a disconnect:When I was discussing the protected classes, I was referring to the U.S./federal Constitution and reference to the U.S. gov't. That must not have been clear from my usage of the words, "U.S." and "First Amendment" in my posts. . BTW: Federal law trumps/preempts state law, so that's why what happens in CA is not binding on persons/states in the country.Further, although I'm a Christian, that doesn't mean I'm not cognizant of the separation b/n church and state; or the FACT that I'm also American; or the FACT the gov't cannot establish or advance religion. Despite what the laws state, that doesn't eradicate my Christian beliefs. Also, FYI: God IS love. He's not a God of hate. Hence, Christian beliefs don't spew venom or hatred. However, we are well aware and expect that non-Christians view them as hatred because you're supposed to. We're not of the same spirit, so that's the way it HAS to be for now. So, succinctly: RIGHT.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Completely true we are in a constitutional republic where citizens are given/granted fair and equal rights. Citizens neither gay or minority status need to fight for equality or fairness because it is given to them.

The reason why gay people are "fighting" for it is because the Christian majority are still latching onto silly out-dated and bigoted belief structures that they believe are holy, but in reality restrict people (gays or minorities) of equality and fairness.

It is very challenging to argue this on the gay point of view because there are issues with "perception", what one perceives as rights is another man's complaint that it isn't natural and is a choice, and the challenge of arguing against the majority is often futile.

The majority can often seem correct in the eyes of the ignorant and naive and a lot of people would rather back down than spin their wheels arguing with the majority. You have to always consider that the majority isn't always correct. The most extreme examples of majority wrongness is Nazi, Germany and The United States laws (that used to permit slavery of Blacks).
If current demographic trends continue (or accelorate), we will see Christians loose their clear majority in this Nation well within 20 to 30 years.

If they think they are "oppressed" now, wait until they can't force their religion into laws. Hopefully there will be a systematic cleansing of our Law Codes at that time as well, removing anything clearly religious in nature that doesn't ahve a valid secular reasoning to be there.

And being the nealry rabid advocate of equal rights that I am, I look forward to helping to protect Christians Real Rights of equality.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
AxisMundi:Apparently, there's a disconnect:When I was discussing the protected classes, I was referring to the U.S./federal Constitution and reference to the U.S. gov't. That must not have been clear from my usage of the words, "U.S." and "First Amendment" in my posts. . BTW: Federal law trumps/preempts state law, so that's why what happens in CA is not binding on persons/states in the country.Further, although I'm a Christian, that doesn't mean I'm not cognizant of the separation b/n church and state; or the FACT that I'm also American; or the FACT the gov't cannot establish or advance religion. Despite what the laws state, that doesn't eradicate my Christian beliefs. Also, FYI: God IS love. He's not a God of hate. Hence, Christian beliefs don't spew venom or hatred. However, we are well aware and expect that non-Christians view them as hatred because you're supposed to. We're not of the same spirit, so that's the way it HAS to be for now. So, succinctly: RIGHT.
Firstly, you have REALLY got to leanr how to format your responses. They are difficult to read and understand properly.

Secondly, feel free to show where I ever stated any Law or the Constitution somehow forbade you from believing what you wish to. They DO, however, keep you from pushing your religious doctrines into US Law, as has occured in California.

Lastly, ANYTHING that promotes hatred and bigotry is undesirable. Your religion inherently does this to people of other religions, women, and gays. Your religion is indeed a relgiion of hate, and your god can ahrdly be called loving if he, according to your own scriptures, drowned the entire world.

The asanine concept of "love the sinner, hate the sin" is a perfect example of the hypocracy many Christians freely partake in. Yes, you can indeed believe what you choose. However, ignoring reality and science and repalcing those with your beliefs merely eliminates any form of credibility, or even hope of reconciliations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality