Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,936,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Spoken like a true sheeple who believes whatever atheist propaganda he is fed.

Guys, we are so busted. I guess we're gonna have to shut down the Atheist Propaganda Daily. Don't forget to hand in your decoder rings and cryptography keys. Bob, can you please destroy the Lecter templates? Susan, you can keep the espresso machine, but I'll need that wireless transmitter out of the casing first.

Harold, take the last of the lobbyist slush fund and give it to the Dioceses. They done good by us and can use the cash for that defense attorney.

Margaret, cancel my monthly luncheon at Cannibal Nick's and tell Lucifer he's got to cover his own green fees from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,170,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
This is also my opinion. The only serious crimes I know of that can really be blamed on atheism were done during the French Revolution. As bad as that was, it's no genocide.
I don't see how the people in the french revolution killed in the name of atheism

Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,586,817 times
Look up "Cult of Reason"+French Revolution. Although looking it up myself there seems to be some debate whether or not it was atheistic. It could've been a rather eccentric form of deism.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 AM

520 posts, read 896,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
My point is that those kinds of crimes could be done mostly by religious fanatics. Atheists or agnostics would never do such things.. Would they?
Theistic beliefs, or lack thereof, are not prerequisites for one to do atrocious things. Irrationality, prejudice, and extremism hold no bias, all are capable of falling victim to such vices.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM

222 posts, read 581,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Spoken like a true sheeple who believes whatever atheist propaganda he is fed.
BergenCountyJohnny, I think that you are reading too much of Christian propaganda. I'm sticking to the facts.

When somebody mentioned rare case when Marxist stole the plane.. well I'm not familiar with that case, but I'm sure that it was made not in the name of atheism, but in the name of some political reasons, and that guy didn't came on the plane with Marx, Engels, and Lenin..

When Christians says that Hitler was an atheist then I'm very surprised because he was Christian Catholic. Even Stalin was an orthodox Cristian in his youth and studied in seminary. Well later he switch to atheism, but all evil things that he did was not in the name of atheism, but in order to keep power..

I personally would feel much safer in a plane full of atheists then in the plane full of Christians or Muslims.

I guess this debate is done, because we are going far behind the border of the airplane hijacking issue. I don't see the point to continue this discussion.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 PM

970 posts, read 1,701,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I don't see how the people in the french revolution killed in the name of atheism
Quick summary from my uneducated self with the help of Wikipedia: around 1790, the majority of the French rebels in power decided that religion was doing more harm than good - which is a defensible position. This led to a number of good secularist laws and principles which I am glad are still applied today. However, they also decided to actually outlaw a bunch of religious practices. In some areas, things went as far as closing down (and sometimes pillaging) churches. Dissident priests got into trouble, and some got executed. This is the only example I know of of murders inspired by atheism.

(Along the way, there was an attempt to replace Christianity with some sort of governmental Deist religion-like thing (the Cult of Reason and the Supreme Being), but that never really caught on.)

Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Quick summary from my uneducated self with the help of Wikipedia: around 1790, the majority of the French rebels in power decided that religion was doing more harm than good - which is a defensible position. This led to a number of good secularist laws and principles which I am glad are still applied today. However, they also decided to actually outlaw a bunch of religious practices. In some areas, things went as far as closing down (and sometimes pillaging) churches. Dissident priests got into trouble, and some got executed. This is the only example I know of of murders inspired by atheism.

(Along the way, there was an attempt to replace Christianity with some sort of governmental Deist religion-like thing (the Cult of Reason and the Supreme Being), but that never really caught on.)
You fail to understand what "atheism" means. Not being any belief at all, atheism can’t motivate anyone in any direction to do anything. To claim something is inspired by atheism, is a oxymoron.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 AM

970 posts, read 1,701,276 times
Quote:
You fail to understand what "atheism" means. Not being any belief at all, atheism can’t motivate anyone in any direction to do anything. To claim something is inspired by atheism, is a oxymoron.
Fair enough, I guess we can put those murders under the heading of "anti-theism", which is necessarily correlated with atheism (you can't be opposed to the belief in any god if you're a theist yourself).

Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, I guess we can put those murders under the heading of "anti-theism", which is necessarily correlated with atheism (you can't be opposed to the belief in any god if you're a theist yourself).
Did you not read my post?
Quote:
You can be an atheist, and not opposed to theism. Just as you can not be convince that bigfoot exist, but not opposed to people believing in bigfoot.

You can be a theist and a "anti-theism". Theism is the belief in at lease 1 god. So if you are anti any god, you are a anti theism or anti belief in at lease 1 god. So Christians and Muslims are anti-theist.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:05 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,362,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
BergenCountyJohnny wrote:

Is religionists actually a word? I didn't find it in the dictionary but I did find religiosity which is a word that apparently isn't used very often. However, I will agree with your basic point and agree that religious people and atheists probably have about the same amount of human faults and weaknesses which really have nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not they believe in God.
I have to agree with you on the potential for doing wrong being equal. I found it funny when debating with a catholic friend on the subject of crime and morality among atheist and Christians. She informed me atheist got away with crimes because we were smarter and sneaker than Christians. I had to smile; I think it is we just don’t carry a get out of eternal jail free card; which makes us think before we do something stupid like hijack a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality