Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM

197 posts, read 86,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The Vatican IS its own country.
I think the system like Vatican is great. People know what to expect when they visit this place. When I saw the news about Michael Sam's proposal, I felt it was disrespectful of him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vatican passes a law that prohibits gay proposal. People can take freedom of expression to far.

By the same token, if I want to propose to my boyfriend in a Unitarian Universalist church, a Christian cannot come to stop me. It's not their arena to intervene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,372,839 times
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
The Muslems have their own countries in which the Quran is the law of the land. Such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

No they don't. They invade other countries because they can't get along with Hindus, Christians, Jews, or even Buddhists. Seriously. They made the leader of one Buddhist country call for their blood. It had something to do with them invading their lands, killing their men, and raping their women (which was easy because Buddhists normally don't fight back).

The Jewish people have Israel.

No they don't. The Muslims invaded it, called it "Palestine", made up a fake history where they were there first, and actively suppress archaeological digs near the "Dome of the Rock" (actually the exact site of the Temple of Jerusalem). Do you see a pattern here?

Should we give fundamental Christians their own land? That way, they can live with the Bible as the law of the land. They can live the way that they want to in their "Christian paradise", and they will not bother everyene else with their relgious views?

Fundamentalist, not fundamental. They already have it. It's called the Bible belt. It doesn't keep them from trampling on other people. Muslims, same as fundamentalist Christians, don't respect boundaries. You can give them land, but they insist their rules are those everyone ought to live by.

Christians in the USA especially, are obviously not happy with the direction society is headed. Why don't we give them their own land? Let's create an Israel for them. I think they need a place where they can live their lifestlyle away from everyone else.

Appeasing fundamentalist Christians is tantamount to saying that their way of proselytizing, hating people who are different from them (gays, blacks, women, LGBT), and being overall twits is justified. Sorry, but no. They need to learn to live with the rest of us. If they have their own country, it will be not as an award but terms similar to these.

http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/images/9/9...From_Potos.png

Also, send them to Greenland. Them and the Muslims. Make those two groups have to work together to survive, and stop invading other people and forcing their way of life on others. You can live in the country and follow the rules and customs, or your can be jailed by that country and/or asked to leave.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 09-01-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 11:47 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,755,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I vote to give the evangelicals Detroit...
Oh I don't think we would all fit in Detroit. Someone needs a reminder that atheists are a small minority of the population like 5%. That means 95% are religious and most demoninations do not homosexuality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homosexuality

Hint: red means no support for gays and I see a lot of red here.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:11 AM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Why on earth would you be proud of something like that???

Old 09-02-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Oh I don't think we would all fit in Detroit. Someone needs a reminder that atheists are a small minority of the population like 5%. That means 95% are religious and most demoninations do not homosexuality.

I truly don't mind. Even if I'm housed in a tiny state with a size like Netherlands, I'm happy to move there. I'm already a minority without my sexuality. I'm not strange with words that attack my ethnicity. Being gay simply adds some more difficulties, but it is all right. I can handle them.

If you put me in a state where I can feel comfortable to discuss my love life with a friend, where I can hold hands with my boyfriend without worrying about being attacked, where both of us can share health benefits, where I can make a medical decision for my boyfriend and vice versa, where he or I can be a survivor beneficiary if one of us passes away, I am willing to relocate.

After Supreme Court's verdict about same sex marriage, I have realized that there are a lot Americans who are still intolerant. Contrary to what Christians think, I disagree with this decision of the court. As an immigrant, I understand that I have to follow the law of the land, which usually takes after the majority's opinions. I'm not really happy although I can legally marry a man now. I can see that homophobic Christians surface more aggressively. That is why I offer two solutions in my previous post. Either people like me are placed in a state where I am absolutely protected from hatred (silent or unambiguous), or the law allows Christians to make policy about whom they prefer to serve.

I'm not a thick-skinned person, but I'm not weak-willed either. I can surely stand discrimination if a discriminator is an honest discriminator. I won't harass, boycott, or threaten to sue if I am given a fair warning of what I will get in a Christian business. Certainly, I know that not all people from minority groups think like me.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:07 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,626,894 times
Quote:

Younger people do not have problems with LGBTQ. What a religion claims, and what their members believe are two different things.

No faith, or denomination in the world would be able to convince my children, and their friends homosexuality is wrong. They are having none of this discrimination. Some of them are street preachers, too.

When ever they listen to the fundamentalist agenda, they believe those people hold deep secrets.
They believe the fundamentalist agenda hides lies and deception and self loathing.

They believe the fundamentalist agenda encourages a welfare state when public officials take money and stop working, all in the name of God of course.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,863,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
The Muslems have their own countries in which the Quran is the law of the land. Such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

The Jewish people have Israel.

Should we give fundamental Christians their own land? That way, they can live with the Bible as the law of the land. They can live the way that they want to in their "Christian paradise", and they will not bother everyene else with their relgious views?

Christians in the USA especially, are obviously not happy with the direction society is headed. Why don't we give them their own land? Let's create an Israel for them. I think they need a place where they can live their lifestlyle away from everyone else.

Is there something wrong with you?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,256,912 times
Every society is fractured by any number of different moral values. Last I checked, we create laws to give people the freedom to live and voice whatever belief system they choose and everyone else has the right to accept or reject it.

If you wish to live in a society where freedom of speech is non-existent and minority opinion is punished then that is your choice but it is a heinous one.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Every society is fractured by any number of different moral values. Last I checked, we create laws to give people the freedom to live and voice whatever belief system they choose and everyone else has the right to accept or reject it.

If you wish to live in a society where freedom of speech is non-existent and minority opinion is punished then that is your choice but it is a heinous one.
Emigrating from a corrupt country, I love living in the USA, and I believe in freedom of expression 100%. I may be an unusual person for not believing in "you can have freedom of expression, but you are not free from consequences" motto. It just creates more Christian martyrs and gives Christians more power to oppress minorities.

Christians like to humiliate gay people with sugar coating tactic "I love you, but I disapprove your lifestyle". Personally I'm tired of that saying. If Christian business doesn't want to serve gay or gay-related events, I really hope that they have an outlet to express that so that I won't waste my time. I really don't want people from my side (gay and gay-friendly people) to stop them.

Just for once, let Phil Robertson, Benham brothers, Ted Cruz, Scott Walker, Michele Bachmann, Chick Fil A, and others voice their opinions freely without any boycotting or push back articles. I have faith in my fellow American citizens that they will do what is right. I think that when people protest in silence (not going to eat at a shop, stopping to donate money, unfriending, not voting for a candidate, etc), those business will die out. They cannot complain because no one uses political correctness to stop them.

However, I know that pro-choice, feminist, and LGBT sides won't sit still for that to happen. They will push back those Christians, and the Christians will push forward with stronger forces. The battle will never end. If compromise can't be made, OP's idea may be the best solution.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,256,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
Emigrating from a corrupt country, I love living in the USA, and I believe in freedom of expression 100%. I may be an unusual person for not believing in "you can have freedom of expression, but you are not free from consequences" motto. It just creates more Christian martyrs and gives Christians more power to oppress minorities.

Christians like to humiliate gay people with sugar coating tactic "I love you, but I disapprove your lifestyle". Personally I'm tired of that saying. If Christian business doesn't want to serve gay or gay-related events, I really hope that they have an outlet to express that so that I won't waste my time. I really don't want people from my side (gay and gay-friendly people) to stop them.

Just for once, let Phil Robertson, Benham brothers, Ted Cruz, Scott Walker, Michele Bachmann, Chick Fil A, and others voice their opinions freely without any boycotting or push back articles. I have faith in my fellow American citizens that they will do what is right. I think that when people protest in silence (not going to eat at a shop, stopping to donate money, unfriending, not voting for a candidate, etc), those business will die out. They cannot complain because no one uses political correctness to stop them.

However, I know that pro-choice, feminist, and LGBT sides won't sit still for that to happen. They will push back those Christians, and the Christians will push forward with stronger forces. The battle will never end. If compromise can't be made, OP's idea may be the best solution.
Same-sex marriage is just another bump in the overall moral fluctuations of western society. Nothing will come of it if history is any judge. A moral majority is no more correct than the moral minority, the only difference being that the majority has the bigger stick to enforce its beliefs. This is the way of humanity and I don't see anything changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality