Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times

Advertisements

After years of difficult soul searching, I have decided to end my relationship with organized religion, specifically Christianity. I believe in God, whether it be an entity or entities, or a natural force, with all my heart and soul. I would be a lost soul without my faith, however, I do not feel I can obtain spiritual fufilment(sp?) by following blindly organized religion. My disillusionment with Christianity was painful at first, but now that I have accepted it, I feel free. My main issues with Christianity are as follows: I can't follow a group that thinks it knows, or has figured out everything about life and the divine. I don't believe there is "one true Faith" and "one true" spiritual path. I can't deal with a group that is so obviously misogynistic and had no room for women. I don't believe the Bible came directly from God and that it should be taken literally. The Bible was obviously written by powerful, educated men who used it as a tool to manipulate and keep the uneducated masses in line. I can't deal with a religion that views mankind(especially women) as inherently evil(sin) and weak, slaves to their base natures. Finally(I could go on but you get the major points), I don't believe that ONLY Christians will be saved and that everyone else, no matter how good, pious, and selfless, will BURN, or that the only way to salvation is to declare alliegence to Jesus. Those "saved" ppl can now never lift a finger to help others because "good works won't get you into Heaven" and no matter what they have done in the past(child rape, et al), all is forgiven but the Pagan/Hindi/Buddist who helps his fellows and is moral is condemned for Eternity. These are the major reasons why I can no longer call myself a Christian. If I BURN, so be it ; I followed my heart. ...lil red...... Btw, I am very sorry for the single paragraph. My PDA removes all the paragraph spaces. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
OP, have you looked into Unitarianism? If you have any desire for fellowship, that could fulfill your needs, if the congregation suits you.

Just an idea. I'm thinking of it myself, although I hate keeping any kind of schedule - my big hangup. I think if I made a friend or two there it would be easier, though. I just have to decide to invest the energy. I don't conform to Christian beliefs nor the Bible, but I do have agnostic/polythiest inclinations...

It almost seems to be calling me: there's a Unity church about 1.5 blocks from my house. I have no excuse, really. And I need friends. *smiley thinks this is good*

Kate

Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
OP, have you looked into Unitarianism? If you have any desire for fellowship, that could fulfill your needs, if the congregation suits you.

Just an idea. I'm thinking of it myself, although I hate keeping any kind of schedule - my big hangup. I think if I made a friend or two there it would be easier, though. I just have to decide to invest the energy. I don't conform to Christian beliefs nor the Bible, but I do have agnostic/polythiest inclinations...

It almost seems to be calling me: there's a Unity church about 1.5 blocks from my house. I have no excuse, really. And I need friends. *smiley thinks this is good*

Kate
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would like some fellowship so maybe I will check it out. I'm probably going to be seriously flamed(blackened like a fish sandwich, lol) for mentioning this but I am seriously looking into the nature based beliefs like Wicca/Paganism. I have always felt a kinship with nature and I perfer to pray outside so it would make sense to worship outside. Take care, lil red

Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Wouldn't it be ironic if because of the arrogance of Christianity that they were wrong, I have often thought that who was it that said that this man Jesus was supposedly the son of their god, the only place that you find that it is in their sacred book, and who wrote that sacred book, those that proclaim him to be their savior, like I said, wouldn't it be ironic if they were all wrong. Just a thought.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
PDA

I figure you are in the airport, waiting for your flight and are bored.

Spare me. If you were to leave Christianity sincerely, you will do so in silence and secrecy and not feel the burning urge to advertise it from a difficult PDA. You want points for your emancipation, right?

I hate PDA's coz composing messages is a pain in my muscular bum

Old 10-05-2009, 10:28 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
After years of difficult soul searching, I have decided to end my relationship with organized religion, specifically Christianity. I believe in God, whether it be an entity or entities, or a natural force, with all my heart and soul. I would be a lost soul without my faith, however, I do not feel I can obtain spiritual fufilment(sp?) by following blindly organized religion. My disillusionment with Christianity was painful at first, but now that I have accepted it, I feel free. My main issues with Christianity are as follows: I can't follow a group that thinks it knows, or has figured out everything about life and the divine. I don't believe there is "one true Faith" and "one true" spiritual path. I can't deal with a group that is so obviously misogynistic and had no room for women. I don't believe the Bible came directly from God and that it should be taken literally. The Bible was obviously written by powerful, educated men who used it as a tool to manipulate and keep the uneducated masses in line. I can't deal with a religion that views mankind(especially women) as inherently evil(sin) and weak, slaves to their base natures. Finally(I could go on but you get the major points), I don't believe that ONLY Christians will be saved and that everyone else, no matter how good, pious, and selfless, will BURN, or that the only way to salvation is to declare alliegence to Jesus. Those "saved" ppl can now never lift a finger to help others because "good works won't get you into Heaven" and no matter what they have done in the past(child rape, et al), all is forgiven but the Pagan/Hindi/Buddist who helps his fellows and is moral is condemned for Eternity. These are the major reasons why I can no longer call myself a Christian. If I BURN, so be it ; I followed my heart. ...lil red...... Btw, I am very sorry for the single paragraph. My PDA removes all the paragraph spaces. Thank you.
Congratulations!

If you don't want to "throw out the baby with the bath water" (god, what an awful saying! ... sorry) you may want to explore esoteric / mystical Christianity.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
After years of difficult soul searching, I have decided to end my relationship with organized religion, specifically Christianity.
Glad to hear it. Now all you have to do is shed the 'god' nonsense.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would like some fellowship so maybe I will check it out. I'm probably going to be seriously flamed(blackened like a fish sandwich, lol) for mentioning this but I am seriously looking into the nature based beliefs like Wicca/Paganism. I have always felt a kinship with nature and I perfer to pray outside so it would make sense to worship outside. Take care, lil red
Wicca/Paganism is wonderful.. many people in my family celebrate the gods and goddesses and have a darn good time doing it

I would definitely try to experience as many thing as possible in this very exciting time in your life. You are now open to learn many things, which can be scary but very fulfilling at the same time.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
lilred, good for you. You have a rich inner life. Pagans are okay in my world. Nature reveals many truths.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:29 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Wiccan, seems to me (I've talked to my daughter about it, and she's a long-time functioning Wiccan) seems to be a thoughtful step away from the mandated obedience and unquestioning discipline of Christianity. For many it's the only step they might ever take, because it fulfills their spritual needs and it answers some logical questions quite well.

I personally see it as a possible means to divorce oneself completely from pagan mythology (which is all that Christianity is, but it comes with a millenia-old well-corrected and modified rule book. Sorta like L. Ron's efforts, but worked out over a couple thousand years..)

Personally, I think it offers the real and positive potential to move you completely into a sort of naturalistic, animalistic acceptance that there are answers, logical ones at that, either available now, or coming soon to a science book in the future.

But... the simple application and adherence to a set of well-developed and logical Q&A processes (i.e.: the accepted scientific method) principles does not generally provide any sort of meaningful fellowship, unless you are in a high-school science club [Eeekkk! Geek-City!].

So at least Wiccan offers far better explanations and spiritual comforting, absent the mandatory punishments and 10% tithing inherent with the church. But on your own, without telling anyone, get a trial subscription to Scientific American and read it as much as you can comprehend. It's for your own good!

Go for it, and be blessed for your courage. And... ignore those who denegrate you and your PDA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality