Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabEyes View Post
^^are you referring to Born Again Christians? I think they are the ones that seem to think they are immune to going to hell once they are saved. The Bible is full of fearmongering- in the form of reminding Christians that they will go to hell for not being pious, doctrine is full of that too, esp. for Catholics; the religion of guilt.
Christians are immune from Hell. Jesus paid our sin penalty. We are considered righteous before God because of Christ's redemptive work.

Christians need have no fear. Our future is secure.

Where is this fearmongering you speak of? Can you provide Scripture references?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
As always, "these" kinds of threads get hijacked, and I'll join the bandwagon and add my own unwelcome 2 cents.

In my religious-spiritual-biblical researchings, I still do not believe in a Hell with devils and speared sinners on rotisseries (at this point, anyway). But I do believe in the possibility that Hell can be right here on earth. And before everyone chimes in to declare how HAPPY they are, I'd bet that a good 70% of you are on some type of anti-depressants. (In recent years I've been quite shocked to learn just how many people around me, at work, family, etc., have to take PILLS to "be happy".)

Anyway, not that anyone cares, but I view "earth" as a school, that we're here to learn lessons, and that we can return in another life to learn more if we want to. And, yes, I do believe in Free Will AND reincarnation (although I do not believe in cyclic reincarnation like the Hindus do). Where learning lessons, and "doing the right thing" are concerned, we've done a pi$$-poor job of it for many thousands of years, if not millions before.

Next?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
As always, "these" kinds of threads get hijacked, and I'll join the bandwagon and add my own unwelcome 2 cents.

In my religious-spiritual-biblical researchings, I still do not believe in a Hell with devils and speared sinners on rotisseries (at this point, anyway). But I do believe in the possibility that Hell can be right here on earth. And before everyone chimes in to declare how HAPPY they are, I'd bet that a good 70% of you are on some type of anti-depressants. (In recent years I've been quite shocked to learn just how many people around me, at work, family, etc., have to take PILLS to "be happy".)

Anyway, not that anyone cares, but I view "earth" as a school, that we're here to learn lessons, and that we can return in another life to learn more if we want to. And, yes, I do believe in Free Will AND reincarnation (although I do not believe in cyclic reincarnation like the Hindus do). Where learning lessons, and "doing the right thing" are concerned, we've done a pi$$-poor job of it for many thousands of years, if not millions before.

Next?
I to view life as a learning experience. You learn, and you move on, to what I don't know.

Reincarnation is a out there idea, but who the hell knows. I'd like to keep coming back, but lets face it, the numbers of people on the Earth, and the number of life forms, that have died and gone, is by far more then whats currently on the planet.

So new life is being created along with the reincarnated, or we are coming here from some far off planet.

But really, who the hell knows. Thats why I only follow what I feel is right, I study, I listen, I make observations, and then I decide.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 PM

16 posts, read 47,965 times
John 3:8:
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

If you never stepped outside to experience the wind you might likely not believe it exists...this is why you must step out in faith to receive from God. Separation from God in itself is hell enough.

Hebrews 11:6:
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 PM

212 posts, read 573,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George_of_the_Jungal View Post
John 3:8:
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

If you never stepped outside to experience the wind you might likely not believe it exists...this is why you must step out in faith to receive from God. Separation from God in itself is hell enough.

Hebrews 11:6:
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
You can hear the wind, i have never heard god. I have been separate from the delusion and my life's been fine. You can seek God all you want but at the end of the day he will still be a figment of ones imagination.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 PM

543 posts, read 999,882 times
Oh, I'm just like that!
I still believe in God, but I cannot be tied up to a church.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
After years of difficult soul searching, I have decided to end my relationship with organized religion, specifically Christianity. I believe in God, whether it be an entity or entities, or a natural force, with all my heart and soul. I would be a lost soul without my faith, however, I do not feel I can obtain spiritual fufilment(sp?) by following blindly organized religion. My disillusionment with Christianity was painful at first, but now that I have accepted it, I feel free. My main issues with Christianity are as follows: I can't follow a group that thinks it knows, or has figured out everything about life and the divine. I don't believe there is "one true Faith" and "one true" spiritual path. I can't deal with a group that is so obviously misogynistic and had no room for women. I don't believe the Bible came directly from God and that it should be taken literally. The Bible was obviously written by powerful, educated men who used it as a tool to manipulate and keep the uneducated masses in line. I can't deal with a religion that views mankind(especially women) as inherently evil(sin) and weak, slaves to their base natures. Finally(I could go on but you get the major points), I don't believe that ONLY Christians will be saved and that everyone else, no matter how good, pious, and selfless, will BURN, or that the only way to salvation is to declare alliegence to Jesus. Those "saved" ppl can now never lift a finger to help others because "good works won't get you into Heaven" and no matter what they have done in the past(child rape, et al), all is forgiven but the Pagan/Hindi/Buddist who helps his fellows and is moral is condemned for Eternity. These are the major reasons why I can no longer call myself a Christian. If I BURN, so be it ; I followed my heart. ...lil red...... Btw, I am very sorry for the single paragraph. My PDA removes all the paragraph spaces. Thank you.

I grew up Southern Baptist and realized thinking on my own was the best idea when i was 17. Not sure how old you are currently, but this is a bid step. When I did this, I looked into theory, science and other religions just to learn about them. It's a great eye opener. I suggest looking into Quantum Physics.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM

65 posts, read 191,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I noticed you never mentioned Jesus. Did/do you have a personal relationship with Him?
How could she? Oh wait, I just got a text from him, never mind.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Exodus 21 7-10

"women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. [SIZE=1]35[/SIZE]If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

So yeah, don't follow your religion blindly, remember, everything I posted is in the bible,

AND THE BIBLE IS THE WORD OF GOD!
And yet women will still sit there and fall for this. What a pathetic, ongoing joke on the world.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post

Next?
I totally agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality