Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I asked her what would happen in she found out, for sure, that they were all just fables and myths.
So did you find this out without a doubt that God and the Bible are fables and myths?
or...
Did you make yourself to believe that God and the Bible are fables and myths?

Big difference. Because if you know for sure, they you should be a very rich man with a Nobel Peace Prize on your mantle at home. could this be you?

the mind is the terrible thing to waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Ignorance is Bliss, I guess. Good luck in your life's journey without God.
I'm not trying to be confrontational but posts like this are annoying, you took the time to reply but you obviously didn't read my posts, especially the last one. I am not an Athiest and no where in my posts have I denied God, quite the contrary. I completely believe in God, I've just decided to end my relationship with organized religion. One does not need religion in order to have belief and to celebrate God. I don't like the political nature of most(not all) churches, I perfer to seek and come to know God on my own. So far, this is working well for me. Btw, ignorance is not bliss, nor is(for me) blind adherance to beliefs I don't hold, at least anymore.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
So did you find this out without a doubt that God and the Bible are fables and myths?
or...
Did you make yourself to believe that God and the Bible are fables and myths?

Big difference. Because if you know for sure, they you should be a very rich man with a Nobel Peace Prize on your mantle at home. could this be you?

the mind is the terrible thing to waste.
It was remarked on this forum once that some Creationist wanted to know why Darwin, if he was so great, never won a Nobel prize. Fact is that he lived before then.

Similarly, Reimarus deserved one for his original review of the Gospel story and I think he was as right as Newton or Darwin. In some ways Schweitzer (in Gospel studies) holds the same position to Reimarus as Einstein does to Newton - brilliant, throrough, but, because of Faith issues, unable to progress to the next stage.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a Nobel prize in religion debunking. If there were, Russell would have won it. Of course, he won one for literature, not for his debunking of religion.

So mate, since Russell won a Nobel Prize, how about using your mind to consider HIS evidence for God and the Bible being fables and myths - at least beyond reasonable doubt? It would be terrible thing for you to waste your mind decrying atheists' views without knowing what their arguments were.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
...........I perfer to seek and come to know God on my own. So far, this is working well for me. Btw, ignorance is not bliss, nor is(for me) blind adherance to beliefs I don't hold, at least anymore.
If you read all the gospels written by those who knew Jesus personally, you would find that the "Bible" is a badly flawed book, not the inerrant word of God. You should read not only Matthew, Mark and John, but also Mary, James, Thomas, and Phillip.

I think the two parts of the bible that is true, that came through despite Pauls and Constantines manipulation of the text, is the beatitudes......love your brother (your fellow man) treat those less fortunate than you with compassion and charity........and when you go to God, do so in private...one on one, you and God. It is ONLY when you are alone and it is quiet that God will communicate with you (for the fundys, it says so in Matt 6).

Now that you have progressed past denominational nonsense, you can finally develop a true relationship with your creator.

Welcome to an exciting and fulfilling journey.........

Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to be confrontational but posts like this are annoying, you took the time to reply but you obviously didn't read my posts, especially the last one. I am not an Athiest and no where in my posts have I denied God, quite the contrary. I completely believe in God, I've just decided to end my relationship with organized religion. One does not need religion in order to have belief and to celebrate God. I don't like the political nature of most(not all) churches, I perfer to seek and come to know God on my own. So far, this is working well for me. Btw, ignorance is not bliss, nor is(for me) blind adherance to beliefs I don't hold, at least anymore.
Oh I read your post and I clearly understood what you were trying to say.

Quote:
After years of difficult soul searching, I have decided to end my relationship with organized religion, specifically Christianity.
Here it clearly shows you have thrown away your belief in Christ.

Quote:
I believe in God, whether it be an entity or entities, or a natural force, with all my heart and soul. I would be a lost soul without my faith, however, I do not feel I can obtain spiritual fufilment(sp?) by following blindly organized religion.
How are you following blindly when the Bible isyour guide? And how can you say you believe in God with all your heart but cast down his book which was inspired by him to solidify your belief because he knew beforehand he wouldn't be here to tell you himself so he left his instructions behind?

Quote:
My disillusionment with Christianity was painful at first, but now that I have accepted it, I feel free.
You should feel ashamed because it's obvious you're a victim of T-A-S

Quote:
My main issues with Christianity are as follows: I can't follow a group that thinks it knows, or has figured out everything about life and the divine. I don't believe there is "one true Faith" and "one true" spiritual path. I can't deal with a group that is so obviously misogynistic and had no room for women. I don't believe the Bible came directly from God and that it should be taken literally.
Then as I said before, Good luck in your life without God. It was an accurate statement.

Quote:
The Bible was obviously written by powerful, educated men who used it as a tool to manipulate and keep the uneducated masses in line. I can't deal with a religion that views mankind(especially women) as inherently evil(sin) and weak, slaves to their base natures. Finally(I could go on but you get the major points), I don't believe that ONLY Christians will be saved and that everyone else, no matter how good, pious, and selfless, will BURN, or that the only way to salvation is to declare alliegence to Jesus. Those "saved" ppl can now never lift a finger to help others because "good works won't get you into Heaven" and no matter what they have done in the past(child rape, et al), all is forgiven but the Pagan/Hindi/Buddist who helps his fellows and is moral is condemned for Eternity. These are the major reasons why I can no longer call myself a Christian. If I BURN, so be it ; I followed my heart. ...lil red...... Btw, I am very sorry for the single paragraph. My PDA removes all the paragraph spaces. Thank you.
A LOT of misguided babble here so all I can say is that you're confused and should really seek understanding of the word of God by asking God himself to reveal it to you instead of guessing at what you "think" God and the Bible are about. If you don't wanna do that, then there's really no hope for you. bottomline.

for reference:

Religion - the act of...or the practice of. it's not the belief itself. so you are half right and mostly wrong. You don't need "religion" to believe in God, BUT you do have to BELIEVE in God in order to understand your life's purpose. It's clear you don't believe in religion and therfore connect that with not believing in God...you said so here:
My main issues with Christianity are as follows: I can't follow a group that thinks it knows, or has figured out everything about life and the divine. I don't believe there is "one true Faith" and "one true" spiritual path.

1. the Bible is the true inspired word of God, but you don't beleive in it. you denounce the book here.
2. don't hate the "group"(Christians) for your lack of understanding. they are on the right path wheter you agree or not.
3. you don't believe in the one true path to heaven(through Jesus), so you denounce God here.

3 strikes you're out buddy. T-A-S...you've been duped.

Last edited by OneJackson; 01-12-2010 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 AM

508 posts, read 1,107,964 times
Quote:
After years of difficult soul searching, I have decided to end my relationship with organized religion, specifically Christianity. I believe in God, whether it be an entity or entities, or a natural force, with all my heart and soul. I would be a lost soul without my faith, however, I do not feel I can obtain spiritual fufilment(sp?) by following blindly organized religion. My disillusionment with Christianity was painful at first, but now that I have accepted it, I feel free. My main issues with Christianity are as follows: I can't follow a group that thinks it knows, or has figured out everything about life and the divine. I don't believe there is "one true Faith" and "one true" spiritual path. I can't deal with a group that is so obviously misogynistic and had no room for women. I don't believe the Bible came directly from God and that it should be taken literally. The Bible was obviously written by powerful, educated men who used it as a tool to manipulate and keep the uneducated masses in line. I can't deal with a religion that views mankind(especially women) as inherently evil(sin) and weak, slaves to their base natures. Finally(I could go on but you get the major points), I don't believe that ONLY Christians will be saved and that everyone else, no matter how good, pious, and selfless, will BURN, or that the only way to salvation is to declare alliegence to Jesus. Those "saved" ppl can now never lift a finger to help others because "good works won't get you into Heaven" and no matter what they have done in the past(child rape, et al), all is forgiven but the Pagan/Hindi/Buddist who helps his fellows and is moral is condemned for Eternity. These are the major reasons why I can no longer call myself a Christian. If I BURN, so be it ; I followed my heart. ...lil red...... Btw, I am very sorry for the single paragraph. My PDA removes all the paragraph spaces. Thank you.
Your entire statement has proven your error in one line...
I would be a lost soul without my faith, however, I do not feel I can obtain spiritual fufilment(sp?) by following blindly organized religion.

Why is it that some Christians think it is their right to pursue anything?

God did not create us to pursue fulfillment for ourselves. These types of Christians walk into church and walk out saying, "that didn't do anything for me." Wake Up People!
God did not create you and then sacrifice himself through Jesus for you to be fulfilled. It is for God's fulfillment of his glory that you were created! Stop going around acting like you need fulfillment at all. You need to suffer,. You need to feel pain. you need to understand that through this is the only way God can redeem you and turn you into more like Him. Thjis is why sin was ALLOWED to happen. If you go thorugh each day not fulfilled Great! It's not about being satisfied of feeling like you made a difference!! It's bout doing what you need to do for God, even if he makes you live in a dung heap like the prophet Ezekiel for over a year!! You do it!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
God did not create us to pursue fulfillment for ourselves. These types of Christians walk into church and walk out saying, "that didn't do anything for me." Wake Up People!
God did not create you and then sacrifice himself through Jesus for you to be fulfilled. It is for God's fulfillment of his glory that you were created! Stop going around acting like you need fulfillment at all. You need to suffer,. You need to feel pain. you need to understand that through this is the only way God can redeem you and turn you into more like Him. Thjis is why sin was ALLOWED to happen. If you go thorugh each day not fulfilled Great! It's not about being satisfied of feeling like you made a difference!! It's bout doing what you need to do for God, even if he makes you live in a dung heap like the prophet Ezekiel for over a year!! You do it!

Amen!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
I replied, cancelled, and have to reply again. I cancelled because as an atheist (in view of the two last posts) any encouragement to you to use your brains rather than act like the robot that God (supposedly) did not create us to be, may be perceived as the prompting of the godless.

So I cancelled, as I say, because there'd be some truth in that. When someone starts searching, the questions come and can't be ignored.

But I had to post because of the last two posts. As spiteful and venomous as anything from the pen of John or words put into the mouth of Jesus by Luke so as to slam by proxy his opponents, the Pharisees.

And yet your stance is so Jesus - like in setting aside crypto -temporal church authorities and their 'Pharisee' - like authority demands in favour of personal seeking. Those two posts should do no more than persuade you that you are undoubtedly doing the right thing.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It was remarked on this forum once that some Creationist wanted to know why Darwin, if he was so great, never won a Nobel prize. Fact is that he lived before then.

Similarly, Reimarus deserved one for his original review of the Gospel story and I think he was as right as Newton or Darwin. In some ways Schweitzer (in Gospel studies) holds the same position to Reimarus as Einstein does to Newton - brilliant, throrough, but, because of Faith issues, unable to progress to the next stage.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a Nobel prize in religion debunking. If there were, Russell would have won it. Of course, he won one for literature, not for his debunking of religion.

So mate, since Russell won a Nobel Prize, how about using your mind to consider HIS evidence for God and the Bible being fables and myths - at least beyond reasonable doubt? It would be terrible thing for you to waste your mind decrying atheists' views without knowing what their arguments were.
who is Russel?

and FYI Darwin, Newton and Einstein acknowledged the existence of God. Einstein did it on his death bed. I think the others did it well before they croaked.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I replied, cancelled, and have to reply again. I cancelled because as an atheist (in view of the two last posts) any encouragement to you to use your brains rather than act like the robot that God (supposedly) did not create us to be, may be perceived as the prompting of the godless.

So I cancelled, as I say, because there'd be some truth in that. When someone starts searching, the questions come and can't be ignored.

But I had to post because of the last two posts. As spiteful and venomous as anything from the pen of John or words put into the mouth of Jesus by Luke so as to slam by proxy his opponents, the Pharisees.

And yet your stance is so Jesus - like in setting aside crypto -temporal church authorities and their 'Pharisee' - like authority demands in favour of personal seeking. Those two posts should do no more than persuade you that you are undoubtedly doing the right thing.
God made us all to think for ourselves. no argument there. But he also gave us warnings about being disobedient to his Laws...

example - Gravity is one of many of God's Laws. not mankinds. you can "think" all you want that you can fly, but i guarantee you, if you step off that cliff you're going straight down, non-stop. splat.

So you're half right, but mostly wrong.

Mankind has become so arrogant in his God-given gift of free thought, he has become a poriah unto God and needs to repent or suffer the consequence.

but again...to each his own. <- God said that...

so whatever you do, you WILL get a reward for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality