Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:38 PM

954 posts, read 812,860 times

Advertisements

[quote=mams1559;774262]
Quote:
Judas did hang himself. The branch he hung himself on broke and the corpse fell to the ground and the bowls spilled out..
.Another 'personal interpretation'. Please show in the relevant scripture where it says "The branch he hung himself on broke and the corpse fell to the ground and the bowls spilled out". There is absolutely nothing, anywhere that says anything about the branch breaking so where do you get it from?

Last edited by pladecalvo; 05-25-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Try another.

How old was Jehoiachin when he started to reign?

2 Kings says he was eighteen and 2 Chronicles says he was only eight.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:55 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Try another.

How old was Jehoiachin when he started to reign?

2 Kings says he was eighteen and 2 Chronicles says he was only eight.
Oh, but you don't understand! In ancient Jewish tradition, it was common for people to note the emotional age of the person instead of the real age...so he was either really mature or really immature. Plus, this is an allegory. I mean just this one part of each book. Not the entire book each. Plus...when it says he started to reign that was an ancient Aramaic euphamism translated from the original Hebrew and eventually into Greek, for starting to be just generally accepted by the people. Also...you DO need to note that there are seven letters in between C (for Chronicles) and K (for kings) so you must add seven years to the eight years comment, bringing the boy to age fifteen, and perhaps *looking* 18 since people couldn't be sure in those days exactly what year they were born.

And of course, if none of that makes sense, that's because you don't have the holy spirit. If you had the holy spirit you'd realize that truth and fact are NOT the same thing. In a sort of mystical way. Duh.

(Sorry, plad. Just had to get all the "maybe it meant this or that", crazy unfound suppositions on ancient Jewish traditions and I-read-it-on-a-website stuff out of the way for ya. I mean since it's definitely coming. Duck.)

Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh, but you don't understand! In ancient Jewish tradition, it was common for people to note the emotional age of the person instead of the real age...so he was either really mature or really immature. Plus, this is an allegory. I mean just this one part of each book. Not the entire book each. Plus...when it says he started to reign that was an ancient Aramaic euphamism translated from the original Hebrew and eventually into Greek, for starting to be just generally accepted by the people. Also...you DO need to note that there are seven letters in between C (for Chronicles) and K (for kings) so you must add seven years to the eight years comment, bringing the boy to age fifteen, and perhaps *looking* 18 since people couldn't be sure in those days exactly what year they were born.

And of course, if none of that makes sense, that's because you don't have the holy spirit. If you had the holy spirit you'd realize that truth and fact are NOT the same thing. In a sort of mystical way. Duh.

(Sorry, plad. Just had to get all the "maybe it meant this or that", crazy unfound suppositions on ancient Jewish traditions and I-read-it-on-a-website stuff out of the way for ya. I mean since it's definitely coming. Duck.)
I hear you JerZ. I know it will come but you know....whether it's a Greek bull or Hebrew bull that takes a s**t it still smells like bulls**t! Whoops! Am I allowed to say that??

Old 05-25-2007, 02:10 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
I hear you JerZ. I know it will come but you know....whether it's a Greek bull or Hebrew bull that takes a s**t it still smells like bulls**t! Whoops! Am I allowed to say that??
Not without getting TOS'd, oh, poor plad. I have a feeling you're not long for this forum. But of course in three or four more days after they 86 you...you'll...be...baaaaaaaaaaaack..."Look to plad's coming on the fourth day..."

Old 05-25-2007, 04:25 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
In regards to Noah and the ark and the number of animals, here is a thought. Noah and the family were to take a pair of each animal with them into the ark. Well, if they took only two of each, what happens when they have to eat? The species would not have lasted long so God said to take seven of the clean animals (ones they could eat) so as to have food while saving the pairs for reintroduction.

Matthew 27 states that Judas gave the money back to the leaders and that they bought the field. The other Gospels do not mention it. In Acts, they speak of Judas as having bought the field with money received for betraying Jesus. Even though he gave the money back to the leaders, it was money that he had given them which they did not want. After Judas' death, it was called the Field of Blood since Judas died and his blood was spilled there.

As far as the flood, I have to look that one up too. Gotta couple years?

Old 05-25-2007, 04:37 PM

I found a site from the Smithsonian that really is neither for nor against the flood idea.

http://www.2think.org/ssotb.shtml

Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,330 times
The bottom line is, entire belief in the Bible takes faith, plain and simple. People try continuously to approach the Bible from a "rational" standpoint, and come up with questions and doubts every time. This has been true since the world existed. The Bible proves itself, it needs no vindication. Not making sense to human, finite minds, means nothing; except that we need to pray and ask God for a broader understanding and for the Holy Spirit. Once you except that God is infallible, and God's Word is who He is, which means it's infallible as well, you'll get a lot further with clarity on the scriptures. Men that wrote the Bible, from the Old Testament to the New, were inspired by God, the Bible states this. If you search the Bible earnetly seeking truth, then understanding will come to you; if you study it with a spirit of skepticism, then you'll always have questions and doubts. I agree the Gospels give different accounts, but this changes nothing, it's four different experiences with the same Jesus, that's all.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:01 PM

Very well said jeweloflight......

Old 05-25-2007, 05:15 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
The bottom line is, entire belief in the Bible takes faith, plain and simple. People try continuously to approach the Bible from a "rational" standpoint, and come up with questions and doubts every time. This has been true since the world existed. The Bible proves itself, it needs no vindication. Not making sense to human, finite minds, means nothing; except that we need to pray and ask God for a broader understanding and for the Holy Spirit. Once you except that God is infallible, and God's Word is who He is, which means it's infallible as well, you'll get a lot further with clarity on the scriptures. Men that wrote the Bible, from the Old Testament to the New, were inspired by God, the Bible states this. If you search the Bible earnetly seeking truth, then understanding will come to you; if you study it with a spirit of skepticism, then you'll always have questions and doubts. I agree the Gospels give different accounts, but this changes nothing, it's four different experiences with the same Jesus, that's all.
Oh yes this was VERY well said. Do atheist think we just work up one morning and said "hey I'm going to believe the Bible today".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality