Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times

Advertisements

SHE, Dusty. She.

Now then... back to basic observation and education.

Nah. No point. It's a lost cause. She discounts literally thousands of calculations over hundreds of years by tens of thousands of amateur astronomers as well as thousands more dedicated professionals with superb equipment and open minds and documented observations.

Against, oh let's say, two or even five popular press books thrown together by those who realize they can make a few easy bucks selling nutball books with very thin lines of logic. But that have obvious appeal to the irrational fundy mindset that must hove to a particular fable.

In a face-to-face open and adjudicated debate, YSM versus myself or any other broadly educated scientist, with similar backgrounds and education representing the logical and rational side, would finish this "debate" off in about 5 minutes. Or less.

Perhaps just her opening position statement would be cause for enough laughter and tears to adjourn the debate post-haste before anyone hurt themselves from laughing too hard and too long. It'd be a public safety issue.

This is not my ego talking. It's just a fact; some things are just plain fact. And a result of the simplest of observations and deductions.

Meantime though, given my perennially open mind, I'll keep looking up for the inevitable collision between the sun and the moon, they being apparently the same size and distance from us (wonder how those eclipses work then, huh?). The tinkling of all those crystal mirrors falling down should be a dead giveaway, don'tcha think?

Sheesh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:52 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Meantime though, given my perennially open mind, I'll keep looking up for the inevitable collision between the sun and the moon, they being apparently the same size and distance from us (wonder how those eclipses work then, huh?). The tinkling of all those crystal mirrors falling down should be a dead giveaway, don'tcha think?
Unfortunately you're ignoring the one element that makes all of that possible: Magic.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 AM

598 posts, read 917,580 times
Only religions do "faith based beliefs". With that, just about anything can be "believed" by religious people.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Unfortunately you're ignoring the one element that makes all of that possible: Magic.
Agreed, Lamplight. I have asked many of the "spiritual" posters here to simply make that plain in their commentary:

That it's all just MAGiC, plain and simple. Then we could all go home happy.

Because that's the only way to explain how God works, if He's here at all. Else their pathetic and irrational reliance on "scientific logic" [see: Beliefs of Convenience] but only when it suits them, is just too thin!

"Carbon Dating states that such-and-such a find is only 2000 yrs old. Therefore, with no further investigation, I conclude that it must have been from the Ark!"

But then, in the next paragraph, with a waggling of their patronizing finger, they knowingly spout that: "Scientists rely too heavily on Carbon dating because it's been shown to be inaccurate!" [editor's factual comment: Yeah, way back in 1955, but not now].

To the OP: I wonder if YSM could answer me a few simple questions today, starting with (all of these are from the perspective of her geocentric model, BTW...):

1) Does the Earth itself rotate, or is it stationary (non-spinning)?

2) Do the other objects in the universe rotate around the Earth at different rates or all at the same rate, as though they were all painted on an old 78rpm vinyl disc and then spun?

3) Are they all in the same plane, like an old vinyl record? A flat disc, quietly spinning around the axis provided by Earth?

3) What keeps an object that's let's say, 200 million light years away tied to the Earth? MAGIC? God' hand? Gravity?

Last edited by rifleman; 02-13-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 09:33 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
Red face But with Religion one can't stop trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Only religions do "faith based beliefs". With that, just about anything can be "believed" by religious people.

Religions introduced the concept of a personal Soul. Thus without end the beliefs we relate with one another are conceptually refutable for the End of discussion in Mind. Without religion anything can be deceived from our beliefs is my view for the soul is lacked as the truth is kept for the Pagan few.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
She discounts literally thousands of calculations over hundreds of years by tens of thousands of amateur astronomers as well as thousands more dedicated professionals with superb equipment and open minds and documented observations.

I believe the saying goes, " There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see." Her intellectual myoptia is of willful intent or as a prof of mine used to call it "intentional ignorance". AHA, I got the gender correct!! (yes, I know, my grammar is off, naught but a minor league case of intentional ignorance!) HEHEHEHE bet ya didn't know that there are indeed degrees of asininity........(the quality of being asinine)

Old 02-14-2010, 04:42 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,457,538 times
The attack in this thread upon my character is childish, for my belief in the truth of the Word of God and my belief of what God says in his word, in several dozen ways and places, about the sun rising and setting and running its course through the heavens, but the earth remaining fixed in its place.

There is no "science" -so called- that has ever proved otherwise, by any means whatsoever; as anyone with a mind to actually research the matter can easily discover.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,072,039 times
It's pretty simple.

If the universe is infinate, then any point picked as the absolute center is as valid as any other point.
So, from my view and relative position everything revolves around me and I am the center of the universe.

(unless my wife is around, then it centers around her

Yes, I'm serious.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:11 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
Question What is the transcendent reality of that Other though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
It's pretty simple.

If the universe is infinate, then any point picked as the absolute center is as valid as any other point.
So, from my view and relative position everything revolves around me and I am the center of the universe.

(unless my wife is around, then it centers around her

Yes, I'm serious.

But if the World was perfectable towards a perfect representation, then indeed the transcendent outside the immanent imperfection of self-certainty could be some centredness. As beauty is not somehow in the world of human kindness so also you and I find that the Centre of perfection is found desired There.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

To the OP: I wonder if YSM could answer me a few simple questions today, starting with (all of these are from the perspective of her geocentric model, BTW...):

1) Does the Earth itself rotate, or is it stationary (non-spinning)?

2) Do the other objects in the universe rotate around the Earth at different rates or all at the same rate, as though they were all painted on an old 78rpm vinyl disc and then spun?

3) Are they all in the same plane, like an old vinyl record? A flat disc, quietly spinning around the axis provided by Earth?

3) What keeps an object that's let's say, 200 million light years away tied to the Earth? MAGIC? God' hand? Gravity?
answer is very clearly no; what she can do is copy and paste links from websites and quote phrases containing physics and other scientific terms and pretend she understands what they mean.
she can't answer a question in her own words because she doesn't think. there isn't any understanding on anything to help her formulate a sentence with words that originated in her skull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality