Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Genesis talks about Adam and Eve becoming suddenly aware of their nakedness and feeling shame. It doesn't really explain why they should be but it seems to suggest that being naked is somehow wrong. Now when a baby is born the doctor doesn't deliver them fully clothed in some stylish designer baby outfit, they're buck naked and a baby doesn't know the difference between a pair of pants and their nose. Clothing is in fact a human invention when human beings migrated to colder climates within a relatively short period of time and out of necessity they used animal hides or whatever else was available to keep them warm. They didn't invent clothing because they suddenly realized that being naked was something shameful. It was a matter of survival and fortunately at that point they had already been using tools and were able to use them with the materials they already had to create primitive clothing.
After countless thousands of years as cultures, religions and societies progressed clothing became something more than protection from the elements. It became a necessity based on established traditions which I can only speculate may have been influenced by the fact that men didn't want other men to see their wives naked because they might have sexual desires for them.
In any case this way of thinking has existed to the present day and religion continues to oppose the idea of exposing too much of the human body.
So here's my question, since we all know that a baby is incapable of understanding the very concept of being naked is there some point in the development of a baby to an adult from a religious perspective in which an individual should suddenly realize that they should be ashamed of being naked?
When you can spell "naked"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Ideally, we should never be "ashamed" of being naked. But clothing helps a lot with temperature control, protection of delicate bits, etc., and I wouldn't want to consider where one might carry his keys, wallet, etc. if naked.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
....but now at 70 with gravity winning, I don't want to impose that sight on anyone....

June's point remains....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I guess all of us aged hippies should meet at the beach and let is all hang out one more time. No need to hide the wrinkles, scars, bulges, or hair, just leave our glasses home and we will look as well as we ever did. LOL.
You first, cncracer!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
I guess all of us aged hippies should meet at the beach and let is all hang out one more time. No need to hide the wrinkles, scars, bulges, or hair, just leave our glasses home and we will look as well as we ever did. LOL.
After a few glasses of wine everyone looks the same and no one cares, too.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Ashamed of being naked, or nekid, is just another silly little religious control mechanism. Constant reminders of how 'bad' you are, how 'impure' your thoughts are, but fork over 10% of your gross, say all the silly little chants, and call me (god) in the morning.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ashamed of being naked, or nekid, is just another silly little religious control mechanism. Constant reminders of how 'bad' you are, how 'impure' your thoughts are, but fork over 10% of your gross, say all the silly little chants, and call me (god) in the morning.
Now that's funny. This dang thing wouldn't let me give you anymore rep point, dagnabit all.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:34 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
I was always told being naked was OK, it was being NAKED that could get you in hot water or in jail. I think you may have to be southern to know the difference between naked, and NAKED so when June and the northern CD members come south for our nude beach week they had better let some of us southern gentlemen keep an eye out for trouble. I am sure Mrs. Cncracer won’t mind if I assist CD members just as a safety measure. I bet Asheville Native might help too, and I am sure MontanaGuy will be glad to bring his binoculars and keep a sharp lookout for problems.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I was always told being naked was OK, it was being NAKED that could get you in hot water or in jail. I think you may have to be southern to know the difference between naked, and NAKED so when June and the northern CD members come south for our nude beach week they had better let some of us southern gentlemen keep an eye out for trouble. I am sure Mrs. Cncracer won’t mind if I assist CD members just as a safety measure. I bet Asheville Native might help too, and I am sure MontanaGuy will be glad to bring his binoculars and keep a sharp lookout for problems.

NC has a nude beach week? Where and when?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 PM

56 posts, read 94,636 times
When you can't see your feet for your big gut being in the way.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Why should we be ashamed to be naked? We are born that way. If we were not meant to be naked we would have evolved with clothes!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality