Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,057,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post

Jesus did not call anyone to be his attorney. We aren't called to force people into anything or scare them. We are only called to share the good news. What people do with it is their business.
And this good news is what exactly? (think carefully before you reply)

Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM

587 posts, read 1,421,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
I don't have to think carefully. The good news is that Jesus died for our sins and we are saved by grace, not by works. We can have a personal relationship with Jesus and eternal life not separated from God.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,931,487 times
Wink "If we ever stop learning, we're dead!" ...some famous guy....

Question for NIKK: have you honestly studied the biosciences and as a subset, the history, mechanisms, deep scientifically based understanding of and latest research on Evolution? How about Geology? Archeology? Engineering? Your posts surely don't indicate that, but if you haven't done so, how on Earth can you actually claim to be in a position to reject them out of hand?

Can you explain to me the logical and detailed mechanism and structure of the electronic fuel injection system in whatever car you drive? Are you in a position to argue with the mechanic when you take it in when it's not running too well? Are you going to yell at him and say :"I believe it's a mystical ghost in the computer system, or in the fuel tank! I even think I saw a ghost come out when I refilled the gas tank last night!"

And yet, right on this thread, you claim:

"I have studied the truth and know all other religions are a lie. I am aware of many other religions and cultures, but I study the truth in God's word, so that when confronted by false doctrines or religions I can spot them a mile away and keep my distance."

Wow! I wish I was that omniscient! Meantime, I'm thinking you don't really know absolutely everything, certainly not about all the world's religions, and certainly not about the scientific topics I took over 15 years and three (and a half) accredited degrees to learn. I even took about 5 years earlier in my life to study Christianity, so I know a tiny bit, but I'll defer to your obviously higher level of studied and thoughtful knowledge there. Matter of fact, have you applied anywhere near the same level of study, with frequent tests and evaluations, to your knowledge base as I did to mine?

I'm not being arrogant or snobby or uppity or whatever you'll call me to deflect from the topic. I'm just honestly curious how you can so adamantly and confidently dismiss most everything I and other atheists, and most of the world's scientists, have to say in conclusion to their careful studies.

Rather, I'm betting that you stopped long ago even trying to learn once you'd found something that resonated with your personal spiritual side, and that was it. And it would certainly be a daunting task now to 1) learn more stuff, and 2) then have it challenge your fervent and comfortable belief system.

Am I close? As to the OP's burning question then: "What if you're wrong?"

Just curious.

Your BFF....

Last edited by rifleman; 03-23-2010 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Typoginations and obfuscatory re-alignments. With the stars, of course....

Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,066,266 times
Quote:
Start here: BLB: NIV

And read to here:BLB: niv

Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 PM

200 posts, read 308,420 times
Quote:
I don't have to think carefully. The good news is that Jesus died for our sins and we are saved by grace, not by works. We can have a personal relationship with Jesus and eternal life not separated from God.

Amen...well said.

Isn't it funny that so many atheist spent so much time talking about religion. I see forums called christianity, and they are there...I see a forum called religion and philosophy, and they are here. They don't want to have anything to do with any of it, and they say it is all nonsense...but here they are.

I say welcome, but don't say that I am pushing it down your throat.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,057,383 times
Quote:
I am not a sinner so you fail miserably. For that matter so did yourModerator cut: insulting word for Jesus deleted

Your "good book" contradicts itself, you are saved by grace and you are saved by works, which is it? You may need to look up the verses but I assume you are an educated theist that has all the answers at the tip of his fingers.

First you need to convince me irrevocably that your god exists, that I am a sinner, and that I need this god's relationship and lastly, why I would want to spend eternity with IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Start here: BLB: NIV

And read to here:BLB: niv
No start by explaining this to a skeptic, I do not believe in your bible so citing it is a waste of time.

Two fails so close to each other.

Oh BTW both of you, I was a xian for over 30 years, you will have to dig a bit deeper than that, I was an elder and P&W leader too.

See most atheists here are ex theists and probably know your bible better than you do.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-23-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM

428 posts, read 1,066,266 times
Quote:
I am not a sinner...
So, you've never missed the mark? Not even once? That's truly amazing.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,962,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm...mabeynot View Post
Isn't it funny that so many atheist spent so much time talking about religion. I see forums called christianity, and they are there...I see a forum called religion and philosophy, and they are here. They don't want to have anything to do with any of it, and they say it is all nonsense...but here they are.
Do not assume that all who are here discussing these things are all atheists. I am not.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,049,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Christianity didn't do those things, evil humans did. And, sadly, those types are found in all walks of life, regardless of religion, race, creed, color or nation.

People who were Christians who professed to be Christians and did evil in the name of the church. Christianity has brought bad things to most people it came into contact with who had different beliefs then the Christians had and thus they needed to save them.

History speaks for itself.....

Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 PM

587 posts, read 1,421,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
People who were Christians who professed to be Christians and did evil in the name of the church. Christianity has brought bad things to most people it came into contact with who had different beliefs then the Christians had and thus they needed to save them.

History speaks for itself.....
Yes, these things are true. But Christianity hasn't brought bad things to people, HUMANS under the "guise" of Christianity brought bad things to people. It is not God's fault that people pervert his intentions for us. I doubt God approved of those actions any more than you do.

God does not teach Christians hate or violence. That is the work of humans. Are there humans in the world today doing bad in the name of God? Most certainly. Is that what Jesus intended? Nope. Are there Christians actually trying to live their lives through the Spirit and teachings of Jesus? Absolutely.

It seems there are many people painting with a very broad brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality