Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
God raising up evil is an act of god. Indeed, it is an evil act of god. Right there in your good book, god promises to commit, condone, and further evil in the world.

That's gotta sting.
No sting! David did that which was evil in the sight of God. He was the king of Israel and was required to uphold the law. Because he took Urriah's wife and had Uriah killed, God gave a punishment to David. That the same thing would happen to him. That his wives would be taken from him and others would have them. That the sword would not depart from his house. This happened just as God promised.

There are laws in this world like gravity and motion, but there are other laws that are spiritual. One is "What you sow, you reap". This is sometimes refered to the law of resiprocity. This is what God is saying will happen. Since God put all of these laws into action, he must take responsibility for them. However, this does not mean he condones commiting adultery. He is telling David through the prophet Nathan, what will happen to him because of David's actions and the Laws that God has created.

Nowhere in the text does it say that God wants someone to commit adultery. He is telling the truth, that is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm no more a sinner for being gay than I am for being left handed or having green eyes. It's just the way I was born. Live and let live.
We've already reached the stage where most people consider the oppression of homosexuals as barbaric and ignorant as forcing naturally left-handed people to use their right hands.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
I think old Nikk should move to Uganda. They nearly passed a law making the promotion of homosexuality punishable by death. Bet that would make Nikk happy. Due to pressure though they've made it a life sentence instead. Very xtian, huh?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Women wearing gold jewelry is also against God's Law (NewTestament). Shall we take an inventory at churches?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
No sting! David did that which was evil in the sight of God. He was the king of Israel and was required to uphold the law. Because he took Urriah's wife and had Uriah killed, God gave a punishment to David. That the same thing would happen to him. That his wives would be taken from him and others would have them. That the sword would not depart from his house. This happened just as God promised.

There are laws in this world like gravity and motion, but there are other laws that are spiritual. One is "What you sow, you reap". This is sometimes refered to the law of resiprocity. This is what God is saying will happen. Since God put all of these laws into action, he must take responsibility for them. However, this does not mean he condones commiting adultery. He is telling David through the prophet Nathan, what will happen to him because of David's actions and the Laws that God has created.

Nowhere in the text does it say that God wants someone to commit adultery. He is telling the truth, that is all.
And all I can think is why don't you stop worrying so much about David and Urriah's life and start worrying about your personal life in 2010.

I mean it sucks for David and all, but nothing will free you more and let you be at peace than worrying what's right for YOU in YOUR life. Do good things for yourself. Do good things for others that need good things done for them. Respect people you feel should be respected. Condemn people for doing evil things. I do this everyday, and I'm a good person. I don't need anyone else to tell me that. I drove back 300 miles the second I learned my Grandfather was in the hospital. I helped a woman in a wheelchair onto the curb this morning because she was stuck. I hold the door open for people. I smile at the checkout lady who looks depressed every day. I'll stop and chat with homeless people and give them a dollar when it looks like all they need is a nice conversation.

I'm gay though, so does that just brand me as unworthy? Who gets off on saying that? God? I'd like to have a chat with him about that next time he drops by.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Trying to make a homophobic fundamentalist see the light =

Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Trying to make a homophobic fundamentalist see the light =
homophobic implies fear. I fear no homosexual.

Fear God only. For he is the one that will judge you.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:13 PM

354 posts, read 749,559 times
hey chicago... i am left handed too. and yes, my sister when i was a kid told me, she would put the pen in my right hand, and when she comes back she would discover the pen in my left hand. how is left hand taboo? and does it have to do with being gay? i know it is not because there are many left handed straights.

you ask of what to let go.. i am talking about you letting go of your fear of the consequence of your action. and knowing that i am attracted to same sex and repressing it, i agree with nik. you really do decide to give in. but like i always say, i actually am envious of openly gays. they are happy. i am miserable. and i always say homosexual relationship is okay as long as there really is unconditional love between the 2 person.

i honestly you know i think the reason why gays were viewed in a bad light is their promiscuous lifestyle. not all, but it is bad enough that it is not "normal" but must you be vulgar about it? i mean can't you be discreet and keep your sex encounters to yourself? if you want your lifestyle to be respected then represent yourself and your relationship respectfully. and if i have the courage to choose to be in a relationship with same sex. i will do so privately and quietly, with out going to gay pride parade or holding placards for prop 8 protests.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Sure you do.

I can't fear a god I don't believe in.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

So what are you, God's mouthpiece?....Then do what you just said, leave the judging up to your god, and mind your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality