Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 03:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampywolfgirl View Post
Then down the road the wife decided to flip her sh*t on us and tell us that their insurance no longer covered our pets and she spoke with several attorneys and the pets should not be in the house but "out of the goodness of her heart" she let us keep them.

We have since moved away from crazy pants, but we also purchased our own home.
We put up with crap from those LLs because they let us have our pets, finding a place to rent to us with pets was near impossible. Especially with a bigger dog like my Labrador.
A LL goes against her own best interests, subjects herself to liability as well as cancellation od insurance to accommodate the tenant and gets called crazy.
She was 'crazy' but not in the sense this tenant means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 03:53 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times
Katie: When I asked them, I didn't tell them I had a specific dog in mind. I told them I really missed my old dog and was thinking of adopting another older chihuahua. I had just gotten home from the shelter. Perhaps I should have told them about this specific dog, but their answer was that a dog would not be okay with them. I offered a rent increase and they said it's not about the money. I don't think the dog himself would matter to them--it seemed to be out of the question.

Last edited by doghead; 11-28-2013 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: forgot to put in poster's name

Old 11-28-2013, 01:42 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Then you need to look at yourself. It Not about the dog then its about you Controling & Training the dog! YES Older dogs Can be retrained! The 1st time I went into the Obedience Ring it was with my 8 yr old Sheltie! Up until then she was a Kennel dog & All I done was Breeding! The ring Next to us was a Pap RESCUE age 11... up until then she been in a Puppy Mill! The Obedience class Lady-bug went to had a RESCUED 6 yr old JRT & the other dog was 7 yr old King Charles! Being Dangerous Bitting dog out of fear or overly protectiveness is a Giant NO NO! YOU need to retrain the dogs Not do do old Learned behaviours that endanger others.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:57 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times
Something to consider for the next one...thank you Katie.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I moved into an apartment with 1 dog and 3 cats. After 1 year, I went month-to-month. in the spring, my dog died after being ill for a few years with heart disease. He was on many medications and had repeated visits to my veterinary cardiologist. I'm now ready to adopt another dog and as a courtesy, asked my landlord if it would be ok to adopt another dog. They are saying no, not giving me any reason except saying that they didn't want a tenant with a dog in the first place and told me so, which is entirely untrue. They were very accepting of him. I guess I have no recourse other than to move. My apartment is part of their house. Has anyone had this experience before? You could have a dog moving in, but not able to replace him? Thanks.
What does it say on your original lease? Does it say, "Only older pets, no new pets if your old pet dies"? I doubt seriously that it says that. They changed their mind, which is crap, so it's time to look for a new place. But, hey, as you're leaving, you can always feel free to point that out to them so that in the future, they may word their leases accordingly.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 AM

66 posts, read 149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
A LL goes against her own best interests, subjects herself to liability as well as cancellation od insurance to accommodate the tenant and gets called crazy.
She was 'crazy' but not in the sense this tenant means.

Hey, it wasn't MY fault that she never looked into the PROPER type of insurance she would need on the house when she decided to rent it out BEFORE renting to me and my pets. She shouldn't be taking it out on me for her screw up.
They lived in the house prior to us moving in, so it was their primary residence before. They never took the proper steps to learn how to become landlords in the first place.
Not my problem.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampywolfgirl View Post
Hey, it wasn't MY fault that she never looked into the PROPER type of insurance she would need on the house when she decided to rent it out BEFORE renting to me and my pets. She shouldn't be taking it out on me for her screw up.
They lived in the house prior to us moving in, so it was their primary residence before. They never took the proper steps to learn how to become landlords in the first place.
Not my problem.
Did you get evicted due to that reason?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,101 times
We moved in July 1st. My girl & I plus 1 small dog. We asked if dog was ok manager said no problem. 3 months later owner wants deposit & raise rent. He has a lease I've never seen saying no pets, showing that I signed my name. Not my signature..is this legal

Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychewchew View Post
We moved in July 1st. My girl & I plus 1 small dog. We asked if dog was ok manager said no problem. 3 months later owner wants deposit & raise rent. He has a lease I've never seen saying no pets, showing that I signed my name. Not my signature..is this legal

What does your copy of the lease state?

Old 01-24-2015, 02:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychewchew View Post
Your LL cannot legally change the terms of a term lease. If you're on a month to month, the terms can be changed with a month's written notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting