Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

What do the Local Laws say about how many pets a residence can have? Since this is a Mother-in-law place your renting could be they dont have a choice on letting you have a replacement dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Of course I am respecting that and won't get another dog while I am there. But I don't have to like it or think it's not mean spirited. And every animal I have ever had is a stray or shelter rescue. I will have to move.
It's too bad that you feel compelled to uproot and move on behalf of a dog you haven't even adopted yet but this is of course entirely your own decision. A LL has every right to refuse pets period and your LL is within his rights to restrict you to the animals you have now. I straddle a fence on this issue as a former landlord but don't view it as "mean spirited" at all - this from a renter who has six cats (all rescues) and was incredibly lucky enough to find a LL who had no problem with it.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times
Katie, good question about local laws. STT: Right, it's the LL's right, even though I started out with the same number I would have with the new dog. And it's my right to give 30 days notice and move. I do find it mean spirited based on just knowing them and I have a right to feel that way.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Well good luck finding a place to take your 3 cats & an unknown dog! Hope your cats enjoy being uprooted so you can bring home another dog!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:26 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
OP, you will have difficulty finding another rental that will accept threee cats and a mystery dog who is a completely unknown quality.

I suggest that you have your new place firmly secured before you give notice, or you might end up homeless.

Better yet, mortgage rates are still very low, so see if you can buy a small place for yourself. As long as CCR's don't limit pets, you can have as many dogs and cats as you wish, because you will be the "landlord".

Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 PM

Katie 1, thanks for the warm wishes. animals who end up with me have hit the jackpot, so to speak. I think they will survive the TRAUMA of a move and the horrors of yet another old chihuahua. I have moved all over with animals, both dogs and cats.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:06 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I agree with those who voiced surprise that you found somewhere to rent with 4 pets. Most subdivisions in my area have rules that limit the household pets, usually to 3 total. And landlords usually won't take more than 2, if any.

I'm also surprised your lease just has carte blanche on pets and says you can have "dogs". Most leases have wording that either specifies the exact pets, or else wording to the effect that any new pets not present at move in need to be approved by management ahead of time.

I am also a pet owner (2 cats) and I don't think this is mean. You don't know their reasons. Maybe the dog has been barking while you aren't home, and bothering them, but they figured they would just wait it out. Maybe 4 is too many pets, and the HOA has complained, but rather than making you move or pick one to get rid of, they are just lowering the number through attrition. Maybe 4 is the total allowed, and they have been waiting for one of yours to pass so they can get one themselves, since you share the house with them. You just don't know. It may not be that they are being mean now, but rather that they have been overly nice in the past.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,671 times
Well, fortunately you're on a month to month, so at least that won't be too much of a hindrance in moving in addition to all the other moving annoyances. I'll say that my frustrations with renting with a dog have finally led me to give up and look for a place to buy.

I've had leases that specified the dog I had at the time and leases that merely said "one dog permitted." Seems to me with the last place I rented, when my dog passed away, I did call the landlord and ask them if it was all right to get a new dog. Fortunately the crazy woman wasn't in charge yet and her husband let me, so I got permission. It's rough, and I'm very sorry for you.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Larceta and Campion, thank you for your thoughtful responses. BTW, this isn't a subdivision--just a private home. Sometimes I think I should just have brought the dog home, since it was in my original lease. But I felt since it is their house, I would ask the question. I wish I could buy a house/condo, but I can't. Although most people on this board are rational, I am still feeling like this is mean spirited. My animals are overly vetted, strictly indoors, have had every type of surgery that is needed. I spent a fortune on my previous dog with the bad heart. They get "high quality" canned food (as high a quality canned food can be), way better than the dry crap my landlord uses (I see it in their recycling). So it's not that they don't think I care for my animals. I'm employed full-time. I'm abiding by their rules, but I still find it very upsetting and plain old mean. But from what everyone says, LLs can and will do this.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Larceta and Campion, thank you for your thoughtful responses. BTW, this isn't a subdivision--just a private home. Sometimes I think I should just have brought the dog home, since it was in my original lease. But I felt since it is their house, I would ask the question. I wish I could buy a house/condo, but I can't. Although most people on this board are rational, I am still feeling like this is mean spirited. My animals are overly vetted, strictly indoors, have had every type of surgery that is needed. I spent a fortune on my previous dog with the bad heart. They get "high quality" canned food (as high a quality canned food can be), way better than the dry crap my landlord uses (I see it in their recycling). So it's not that they don't think I care for my animals. I'm employed full-time. I'm abiding by their rules, but I still find it very upsetting and plain old mean. But from what everyone says, LLs can and will do this.

So your landlords are small minded irrational people because they won't agree to let you get another dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting