Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 07:36 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,840,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well then it wasn't your mortgage that went up it was the Insurance.
Exactly...but it doesn't change the fact that my monthly payment have gone up every year for the past 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
People who fight for $15 minimum wage can't afford to own a home. That's why.
True. Those making minimum wage can't put together a down payment for a mortgage, nor can they qualify for one. They might be able to do a owner financed or land contract, but those type of deals aren't the norm in all areas.

So while a landlord might want 3x the rent, the lender is also going to look at income, debt and the ability to pay.

Minimum wage was never intended to be a livable wage, but that's what people are trying to make it. Sad that so many want to do so little and yet expect to get to so much.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
Quote:
That depends on where they live. LL want 3 times the rent Mortage co don't.
that is so true---knew neighbor with multiple properties--she raised rent yearly--not cause she had to but to cover the amt of needless shopping she did(had storage units full of unopened boxes) felt pity for her tenants---all properties were in low income areas

Old 04-17-2016, 08:27 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The people pushing for a $15/hr minimum wage say that's why they want $15.

Why don't they say The Mortgage Won't Wait?

Do landlords have an instant gratification issue that lenders don't have?

Well - I have mortgage payments on my rental properties - so yep, I need my tenants money to pay Wells Fargo. I don't have the luxury of working with non-paying tenants to allow that to catch up or what ever when they get behind.

From the tenants prospective - a bank is often willing to work with them to keep them in the house (move late or missing payments to the back of the loan). A landlord proceeds directly to eviction.....try renting with a prior eviction.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
When I got my Mortages the bank want 25% of income for payments. LL Insist on 30% Ther are TONS of loans out there with No or Low down payment. There are also Rent to own deals where a % of the rent goes towards a Down payment. Once you reach that you turn the Rent into payments.
HUD helps low income folks Buy
USDA also helps low income
Habbitat for Humanity Helps
Telemond also Helps
& the List goes on....

Old 04-17-2016, 01:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
People who fight for $15 minimum wage can't afford to own a home. That's why.

Mortgage lenders don't immediately rev into legal action mode at a 30-day late payment, landlords do in five days. Something gets landlords worked up that doesn't faze mortgage lenders.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
When I got my Mortages the bank want 25% of income for payments. LL Insist on 30% Ther are TONS of loans out there with No or Low down payment. There are also Rent to own deals where a % of the rent goes towards a Down payment. Once you reach that you turn the Rent into payments.
HUD helps low income folks Buy
USDA also helps low income
Habbitat for Humanity Helps
Telemond also Helps
& the List goes on....

I have never ever seen a rent-to-own deal that wasn't an unfavorable and high-risk deal.

I don't know anyone making minimum wage who ever bought a home, except for someone who bought her grandmother's home in a declining neighborhood for nothing down and a monthly payment lower than rent.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Well - I have mortgage payments on my rental properties - so yep, I need my tenants money to pay Wells Fargo. I don't have the luxury of working with non-paying tenants to allow that to catch up or what ever when they get behind.

From the tenants prospective - a bank is often willing to work with them to keep them in the house (move late or missing payments to the back of the loan). A landlord proceeds directly to eviction.....try renting with a prior eviction.

In your case, it's the landlord who can't wait, not the mortgage lender. It's always the landlord who can't wait. Sounds to me like an instant gratification issue.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
that is so true---knew neighbor with multiple properties--she raised rent yearly--not cause she had to but to cover the amt of needless shopping she did(had storage units full of unopened boxes) felt pity for her tenants---all properties were in low income areas:(

Rental properties in low income areas generally are more profitable than rental properties in middle or high income areas. The properties are way cheaper to buy but the rent is inflated relative to the mortgage.

e.g. buy middle income SFR for $150K and rent for $1500/mo or buy low income SFR for $75K and rent for $1200/mo.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
True. Those making minimum wage can't put together a down payment for a mortgage, nor can they qualify for one. They might be able to do a owner financed or land contract, but those type of deals aren't the norm in all areas.

So while a landlord might want 3x the rent, the lender is also going to look at income, debt and the ability to pay.

Minimum wage was never intended to be a livable wage, but that's what people are trying to make it. Sad that so many want to do so little and yet expect to get to so much.

Which penalizes the frugal low earner. For the past ten years I have been paying 45-75% of my income on rent and obviously I'm never going to meet a lender's ratios, but I've always paid the rent on time. So I don't understand the lender's irrational rigid thinking on ratios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting