Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,740,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I think it's so easy to get a felony conviction now that you need to look more closely at the actual offense. Domestic violence (spanking your kid). Blocking the entrance to an abortion clinic. Commission of a crime in possession of a gun (driving home after one over the legal limit with a rifle in the trunk from a hunting trip). Driving without insurance. Crossing a state line to avoid paying child support. On and on.
Why would you do any of those things in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,667 times
Default I do not agree

I am a twenty three year old male with a criminal background. I do and do not agree with what is being said. The reason that I am split is that I do understand there is a limit for someone to cross the line, and should be held accountable for his or her actions which I was. The problem is that seeing that I have a record in my High School years, does that make me a bad person or a person that has meade many mistakes and learned from them. I now have a wonderful fiance and a miricale which is my nineteen month year old son. I work in a wealthly area as a manger of a restraunt for three years with the same company. I have gotten in one more legal dispute but it was concerning family. As a father, brother, the youngest son of three, and a person I do not think it is alright to take family to court so I plead guilty to the crime (assualt four) then let my brother go down with it. Now, I am struggling to find a home for my family closer to my work just becasue I was like any other stupid immature teenager, just like my son soon will be. I really do not think that it is fair. If you think that it is, I urge you to get to know me and who I am and see that I am a hard working father that is dedicated to my job, my family, and obligations that I have as a person. My finace is a stay a home mother, now days it is hard to trust anyone. So do I think that it is alright to discrinminate because of records, yes if the idividual committed murder or stuff like that and clearly has not changed. On the other hand no, I know how it feels to grow up in a disfunctional family and struggling to get the attention that you need so you rebel. Seven- eight years down the road once you have change and became some one that NO ONE thought you can become, you still can not raise the family you want because others just look at you on black and white from a computer or fax machine. Four apartments in the last five years with excellent rental history in all four and my record is the problem, no they are, I have change and will keep growing up like the rest of you, Trust me I can afford to live in a luxury apartments no one will just give the chance.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,125,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddie anthony View Post
...Trust me...
No.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:54 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,947,163 times
The only ones I'd be leery of are the sex offenders of any kind but particularly child molesters. I'm not sure what to do about them b'c it seems very few truly repent and stop. For the rest, I say they did their time, let them start over and get on with their lives unless and until they do something to end up back in jail.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,526,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
The only ones I'd be leery of are the sex offenders of any kind but particularly child molesters. I'm not sure what to do about them b'c it seems very few truly repent and stop. For the rest, I say they did their time, let them start over and get on with their lives unless and until they do something to end up back in jail.
I have no issue giving people another chance but when to individuals come to aply for my property and both have similar credentials with employee and recent rental info, but one has a criminal background...I will choose the non criminal (whatever he has done to get that label, doesn't matter at first, you won't get it if you haven't done a bad thing) above the criminal.

I still wonder why daddie Anthony had 4 different rentals in 5 years...it doesn't help you to move all the time...some LL might not able to give info, since they have moved them self and the longer you have proof of being a good renter the better it will be for your future...hopping around isn't showing a stable person. JMO.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,180,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddie anthony View Post
I am a twenty three year old male with a criminal background. I do and do not agree with what is being said. The reason that I am split is that I do understand there is a limit for someone to cross the line, and should be held accountable for his or her actions which I was. The problem is that seeing that I have a record in my High School years, does that make me a bad person or a person that has meade many mistakes and learned from them. I now have a wonderful fiance and a miricale which is my nineteen month year old son. I work in a wealthly area as a manger of a restraunt for three years with the same company. I have gotten in one more legal dispute but it was concerning family. As a father, brother, the youngest son of three, and a person I do not think it is alright to take family to court so I plead guilty to the crime (assualt four) then let my brother go down with it. Now, I am struggling to find a home for my family closer to my work just becasue I was like any other stupid immature teenager, just like my son soon will be. I really do not think that it is fair. If you think that it is, I urge you to get to know me and who I am and see that I am a hard working father that is dedicated to my job, my family, and obligations that I have as a person. My finace is a stay a home mother, now days it is hard to trust anyone. So do I think that it is alright to discrinminate because of records, yes if the idividual committed murder or stuff like that and clearly has not changed. On the other hand no, I know how it feels to grow up in a disfunctional family and struggling to get the attention that you need so you rebel. Seven- eight years down the road once you have change and became some one that NO ONE thought you can become, you still can not raise the family you want because others just look at you on black and white from a computer or fax machine. Four apartments in the last five years with excellent rental history in all four and my record is the problem, no they are, I have change and will keep growing up like the rest of you, Trust me I can afford to live in a luxury apartments no one will just give the chance.
What you don't understand is that if someone rents to you knowing your record and for some reason you go off on another tenant is that other tenant could bring a law suit against the LL.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 AM

634 posts, read 1,553,395 times
If a owner of a rental property rents to a convicted felon and that tenant continues to break the law the owner could easily be sued. I know that this is why most property managers and owners do criminal background checks on people.

Location is also important. It would be a very bad idea to put a tenant into a place close to a park or school where there would be lots of children if that tenant has a history of violence, domestic or otherwise.

There are properties that specialize in second chance tenants. The owners would be the ones to set the criteria.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,578 times
this is for military spouse i am a convicted felon but have truly changed i have multiple felonies mostly stemming from one night of being very stupid. I was 18 and now 12yrs later im trying to be a responsible father and husband but find it very hard still due to my record to find good work or apartment when does it end.. quick point prison officials are some of the most corrupt people there are in mass there is no smoking where do you think inmates get ciggarettes and drugs hhmm.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,896,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant3297 View Post
this is for military spouse i am a convicted felon but have truly changed i have multiple felonies mostly stemming from one night of being very stupid. I was 18 and now 12yrs later im trying to be a responsible father and husband but find it very hard still due to my record to find good work or apartment when does it end.. quick point prison officials are some of the most corrupt people there are in mass there is no smoking where do you think inmates get ciggarettes and drugs hhmm.
Sorry, but as a landlord, given a choice between a convicted felon and someone who doesn't have felonies, you're going to lose.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 19,625 times
Default I am he,a father in need !!!!!

HELLO'
I AM A CONVICTED FELON AND I AM LOOKING FOR AN APARTMENT IN THE VA BEACH OCEANFRONT AREA. THE FIRST PLACE I LOOKED AT DENIED ME WITHIN 12 HOURS OR LESS, THOUGH SHE DID SAY I COULD GET SOME RECOMMENDATION LETTERS AND SHE WOULD RESUBMIT MY APPLICATION.I HAVE 3 DRUG CHARGES NO VIOLENT CRIMES(THOUGH A CRIME IS A CRIME TO SOME) OR GANG ACTIVITY. I'VE BEEN HOME 2YRS AND 2 WKS. I AM CURRENTLY WORKING AND HAVE BEEN WITH THIS SAME COMPANY FOR 20 MONTHS OR LONGER.I'M NOT INVOLVED WITH ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES . ALSO I'M CURRENTLY IN A PROGRAM IN CHESAPEAKE VA CALLED "PROJECT F.I.N.D........THEY HELP NEWLY RELEASED FELONS ACQUIRE JOBS,HELP WITH FINES,ADJUSTING TO SOCIETY, ETC.....

I NEED HELP BECAUSE IT IS KILLING MY BOUND WITH MY KIDS NOT HAVING MY OWN SPACE TO BE ABLE TO KEEP THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT MY LICENSE I NEVER HAD AND CAN NOT GET BECAUSE OF THE INTREST BUILT UP WHILE I WAS IN PRISON FOR 6 1/2 YRS............................................... ............................
.............................................THATS ANOTHER SUBJECT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting