Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times

Advertisements

Actually the Sound Transmission rules in the International Building Code thats used in the US is pretty decent. The problem is that locations like Texas have bent over for developers whims and usually omit these sound transmission rules. Its perfectly legal in most parts of Texas for a developer to use interior wall standards for adjoining walls. When you're talking about a large development the savings for the developer could be millions in cheaping out in the construction.

The disgusting thing is how little effort it takes to make an apartment reasonable sound proof. Double layer of drywall over regular old batt insulation with a normal wood frame. Thats it nothing special.

Also on the floors a few el cheapo metal noise channels and some regular old insulation and no one would hear anything.

Last edited by orbius; 07-06-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsero View Post
you losers should just stop whining, improve your credit and actually BUY property. Until then, just **** already.

You're a moron.

Not everyone who rents, rents because they can't buy. Some of us actually prefer renting to owning. I've owned 2 homes ( lived in one for 12 yrs and the other 10) over the years and as a single mom....renting is a better fit for me.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 AM

33 posts, read 20,459 times
My neighbors make normal noises--I deal with it. If I was worried about it I'd rent a house instead of an apartment.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 AM

57 posts, read 273,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Actually the Sound Transmission rules in the International Building Code thats used in the US is pretty decent.
I guess I respectfully disagree. There is no low frequency component of the STC measurement, and an STC 45 is quite low to begin with. Europe has much higher standards.

Quote:
The problem is that locations like Texas have bent over for developers whims and usually omit these sound transmission rules.
I can't speak to that. I don't know, but it sounds illegal.

Quote:
The disgusting thing is how little effort it takes to make an apartment reasonable sound proof. Double layer of drywall over regular old batt insulation with a normal wood frame. Thats it nothing special.
If you start at the new construction stage, a lot can be done, I agree

Quote:
Also on the floors a few el cheapo metal noise channels and some regular old insulation and no one would hear anything.
You mean on the ceiling with the channels? You'll still have footfall noise coming in through the walls.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Do they make any concrete apartments and/or sound proof?
Actually I lived in an old high rise apt for 8 years on the 4th floor and never heard a thing at all. It was solid brick and old. I loved it. High rises are much quieter than garden apts.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Actually I lived in an old high rise apt for 8 years on the 4th floor and never heard a thing at all. It was solid brick and old. I loved it. High rises are much quieter than garden apts.
They are most expensive too right for rent?

Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times
Quote:
They are most expensive too right for rent?
Actually no, because they are not that much higher and they are older and not renovated. They have new fridges and older stoves, but I did not care. I would rather have peace than new appliances. The floors were hard wood and nice. For some reason this building I am in was built by someone on meth or something! I mean it is so poorly and shoddily done that the Police will not live here or the resident Manager or non resident manager! The walls shake. The guy put in these weird heating thingys that are like air conditioners and then the floors are not soundproofed and the walls you can hear the plaster fall, unlike in an older building like a high rise etc. This building was built in 1968! The older building I was in was built in 1928! The city here has been trying to tear these down and I believe it will be soon. The Catholic Church keeps fighting them. They cannot renovate them, as they are so sad they may as well just rebuild.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Earplugs?

I have no advise except when your lease is up move to an older apartment because back in the day apartments were build with quality in mind and they are insulated so much better than the newer apartments because nowadays people don't want to spend the $ when they build new apartments. It's a lot cheaper to skimp on things like insulation. I live in an apartment built in the 70/80s and I have never heard my neighbors. I've lived here 2 years.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
So the Management should let them move elsewhere? This is disturbing the peace right? They said I do have the 'hassle free' option to move into another apartment within the complex. How is this not a hassle?
You can go to file a complain at the police station. Rememeber tho you have to prove the case and have evidence for court before the prosector is going to file it with the court. Basically the police can't charge because they do not have standing. In most states distrubing the peace is disoraderly conduct and requires it to be in a public palce which your apartment is not. Even then noise varies by time and even circumstances like apartments . It not unresonable to hear someone walking upstars.It requires a complaint from someone who has standing and that is you and /or neighbors. You need to look at you contract and rules to see what the management is responsible for.The police will usuaqlly come out but to actaully file youwill have to sign the compaint because they do not have standig. They can be called to testify if they ehard the noise and agree its unrerasonable.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
In my city, if the police show up and hear a party ( or any other disturbance) taking place in an apartment, they give them one warning. If they come back again, the same night, they get a ticket. The max # of tickets they will give the tenant in one night is three. First one is $75, second $100, third $150. After that, they start fining the complex. Who in return, will kick the tenant out.

How do I know? Because I called the cops more than once one night when my neighbor had a party going on until 4 am. The officer told me that's how they handle it and when I spoke to the office the next day, they told me the same thing. This guy was issued a notice clearly stating, if the cops show up once more, he has 24hrs to get out.

Our noise ordinance not only covers noise that is in the common areas ( halls and stairs) or parking lots, but noise coming from within the apartment. Basically, the officer said, if they can clearly (this is a key word) hear the noise from standing outside the door, the person is in violation of the noise ordinance. This is addition to the noise policy in place by my complex. The complex policy covers TV, talking on the balcony, having your kids play on the stairs and run up and down the halls, etc... ..you know, things you don't call the cops on.

Now, we all know that household chores aren't noisy and if someone is calling the cops because their neighbors is doing laundry or vaccuming, they need to be fined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting