Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
mod snip

Mass Murder ... NO ... but many of those people ( 55 and older ) are of the same age
and most of the will die with in the next 10 -15 years.
Very true

I once requested literature from a newer retirement community in Florida. ( a few years back )

A high pressure salesman called and was trying to sell me a lot and house plans for building.

I asked if there were any used houses for sale
He got quite huffy and stated there were none and his realty would not be listing any

I told him in 10-20 years he better because many of those houses he just sold will be up for sale by the heirs,

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-30-2012 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: orphaned oost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 04:05 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
I'd hate to be in "The Villages" in 10 years. EVeryone talking about who died, or is dying, their ailments and diseases. The EMT's will visit as frequent as the Pizza deliver guys. I'm envisioning a place full of people like Jerry and George's parents. The "early bird", how much to tip, who got a new car. I assume they are planning a BIG nursing home and hospital nearby.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
As one of the very few on this forum who has no plans to retire I should point out that many people at The Villages work at least part time, The staff and many jobs with other companies there are mostly composed of residents. Forty percent of the residents of Sun City work. They probably talk about the same things they always talked about.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 06-27-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 07:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default Sales of Used 55+ Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Just hang in there and wait a while, because many of these old people
will be dying off at the same time, and many of those properties will be going up for sale.
That is an issue that concerns me about buying in a 55+. How hard is it to sell a used house if the developers are still building new homes. Most people probably go into the community thinking that they'll stay forever (or until nursing home time). However, things can happen--spouse gets very ill or dies, couple ends up missing their home state or family, etc. So being able to resell IS something to consider.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
That is an issue that concerns me about buying in a 55+. How hard is it to sell a used house if the developers are still building new homes. Most people probably go into the community thinking that they'll stay forever (or until nursing home time). However, things can happen--spouse gets very ill or dies, couple ends up missing their home state or family, etc. So being able to resell IS something to consider.
The area the wife and I moved to is definitely a buyers market for the very reason you gave.

Yes, maybe in 20 years our house will be very difficult to sell but that will be our kids' problem

It seems most homes here have the same story------illness or death caused the house to be put up for sale.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:17 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default 40% Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Forty percent of the residents of Sun City work. They probably talk about the same things they always talked about.
Where did you get this "40% work" figure? I find that very hard to believe. People go to Sun City to retire... And at which Sun City?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:13 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Where did you get this "40% work" figure? I find that very hard to believe. People go to Sun City to retire... And at which Sun City?
I got it from Leisureville. He was referring to the original Sun City. The publication date is 2009 so I assume he's referring to a time shortly before then. I was as surprised as you are. The Villages employs many residents as part-time workers and some full time but he gives no percentage of working residents.

I'd recommend Leisureville. The author is aggravating in his repetitious attacks on 55+ communities which he calls age-segregated as well as his obsession with vice among the old folks (most aren't all that old) but there's plenty of interesting information on the social dynamics of the community. There's no denying that many older people and some not so old who wish to live in a child-free environment. The book provides a solid look at a world I knew existed but really knew nothing about Before I rad the book I had a very negative attitude towards these places. Afterwards I was far more positrive. Used copies are cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Leisureville-A...ndrew+blechman

Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Here is what I have observed by watching our older friends make mistakes. DH and I are now 62 and 64, and we were the youngsters in our circle of friends.

One couple has moved from Sun City, SC to a modular 55+ community in FL, to a rental condo in FL. Their reasons for moving so much are that they are social types, but have failed to connect with the other residents successfully. The husband has been HOA President and they participate, but on the whole they have found the relationships unsatisfying. If it weren't for the fact that their only grandchild is in FL, they would be back north in a heartbeat. They spend their days waiting for cocktail hour.

My SIL and BIL bought a place in a 55+ mobile home park in FL. It is now for sale, since they have failed to make friendships there and have run out of places to visit and ways to fill the day. Their 3 children are up north and they would rather be a part of the lives of their children. They spend their days eating carbs.

We moved south because of my husband's job at the time, and the fact that our youngest child lives here with his wife. We are still working and so are a part of the pulse of the area. We tend to get visitors because we are on the way to FL and are a good place to visit in the winter. When we no longer have jobs, we will not have the benefit of either day to day contact with people or a lifetime of old relationships to draw on.

Bottom line...it is not living on a manicured golf course that will make you happy in retirement, it is being near the people who you love and have a history with. The old saying that, "It takes a lifetime to grow an old friend", is so true.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here is what I have observed by watching our older friends make mistakes. DH and I are now 62 and 64, and we were the youngsters in our circle of friends.

One couple has moved from Sun City, SC to a modular 55+ community in FL, to a rental condo in FL. Their reasons for moving so much are that they are social types, but have failed to connect with the other residents successfully. The husband has been HOA President and they participate, but on the whole they have found the relationships unsatisfying. If it weren't for the fact that their only grandchild is in FL, they would be back north in a heartbeat. They spend their days waiting for cocktail hour.

My SIL and BIL bought a place in a 55+ mobile home park in FL. It is now for sale, since they have failed to make friendships there and have run out of places to visit and ways to fill the day. Their 3 children are up north and they would rather be a part of the lives of their children. They spend their days eating carbs.

We moved south because of my husband's job at the time, and the fact that our youngest child lives here with his wife. We are still working and so are a part of the pulse of the area. We tend to get visitors because we are on the way to FL and are a good place to visit in the winter. When we no longer have jobs, we will not have the benefit of either day to day contact with people or a lifetime of old relationships to draw on.

Bottom line...it is not living on a manicured golf course that will make you happy in retirement, it is being near the people who you love and have a history with. The old saying that, "It takes a lifetime to grow an old friend", is so true.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. My mother moved to a 350-unit over-55 community on the Gulf coast of FL 15 years ago and loved it. I never thought I'd have any interest in moving there with all the "old people". Well, my mother died recently and I went down for a few months to settle her affairs. Hardly anyone is left of her generation, so I only knew a few of her neighbors and figured I'd be bored. Well, lo and behold, I go to the pool one day and see all these people my age (now that I'M now one of those old people). Turns out, the baby-boomers have taken over the development! And they are having a ball. Some are snowbirds, and some live full-time, but they all love it, have developed friendships and participate as much or as little as they want in the community activities. By the time I left two months later, I had a whole new group of friends and a built-in social life for when I go back.

I also know quite a few relatives and friends who have moved to The Villages and have not heard one complaint. So although you or your friends may be unhappy, this is not by far the experience of many, many others who have uprooted to retirement communities.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you. My mother moved to a 350-unit over-55 community on the Gulf coast of FL 15 years ago and loved it. I never thought I'd have any interest in moving there with all the "old people". Well, my mother died recently and I went down for a few months to settle her affairs. Hardly anyone is left of her generation, so I only knew a few of her neighbors and figured I'd be bored. Well, lo and behold, I go to the pool one day and see all these people my age (now that I'M now one of those old people). Turns out, the baby-boomers have taken over the development! And they are having a ball. Some are snowbirds, and some live full-time, but they all love it, have developed friendships and participate as much or as little as they want in the community activities. By the time I left two months later, I had a whole new group of friends and a built-in social life for when I go back.

I also know quite a few relatives and friends who have moved to The Villages and have not heard one complaint. So although you or your friends may be unhappy, this is not by far the experience of many, many others who have uprooted to retirement communities.

We retired to SC (not a 55+ development) from the Boston area and we are happy as a clam. New places, new friends, new fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement