Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:49 PM

973 posts, read 1,706,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
Excellent posts, NEGirl and catsygirl! Just because I'm retired doesn't mean I'm ready for senior centers such as you mention. I plan to stay active in the larger community and live by myself (assuming continued good health) until I'm in my early- or mid-eighties, when I'll move into some type of senior community. There's no need to rush into old age. It'll come soon enough.

As boomers age and our parents' generation fades away, I think senior centers will change to meet our needs.

An aside: catsy girl, although I grew up in more prosperous times than my older sister did, I was never without the fear of the cold war. I grew up on the northern plains and remember worrying that Soviet bombers would come down over the Canadian border. In fact, for a time in the fifties, my mother was part of a federal government volunteer civil defense team called Operation Skywatch in which she and our neighbors would scan the skies at night for Soviet planes. So the fifties were a golden time, yet there was this deep fear of nuclear war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Boy, did I identify with this. When we moved we didn't try out a senior center, but a senior group that met in our town. I had the same feelings you did - what they discussed and did was from another era. We went to a luncheon at a newly opened elementary school, mostly because we wanted to see an historic mansion attached to the school that had just been renovated and was not yet open to the public. When the accordian playing started, we knew we were in the wrong group.
I agree totally with both of you in regards to what I bolded. And funny, but I was going to write that same thing about when the after WWII "boomers" are in charge of the senior centers as I think then IF we can break that stereotype, we would be the ones to do what so many here mentioned. MAYBE this sould be OUR next passage; to get the ball rolling in doing so??? BUt how?????

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 07-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Funny, that reminds me of a comment my grandmother made back in the 1960's on returning from St. Pete's for a holiday (she was in her mid 80's.) She said it was a nice enough place, but that it was full of old people! She also died at 91

I want this to be me, too! Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,257,539 times
[quote=Americanwoman54;20248973]WOW... loved reading this and what I bolded I agree with you totally! It is what we as a society has perceived seniors to be and how they have defined us (via tv, commercials, fashion ...and have you noticed that most beauty magazines stop at the 50's in regards to fashion/skin etc??), I think, is partly why I am in denial of almost being there, for I do not fit that image. And I would love to see centers like what you described.

And as far as the reason why we do associate with younger people and dress younger and such, I am not too sure about, but maybe just in regards to me as like I had stated before, I have more in common with younger people for many of the people my age are so much into their aches and pains and meds, I have no clue what they are talking about and in truth, want to talk about the WORLD and do things in it rather than what their lives seem to center around.

My husband and I both look younger than we are; most of our friends are 10-15 years younger and have no clue! I belong to 2 book groups - we are all of all ages and the discussions are interesting and intriguing.

I feel a lot of people like to categorize people - if you are this age, it's this - and that's not the case at all.

I love the senior center ideas - I need to keep working (self employed) and I really love what I do even though it is very stressful - I think we have a new breed of older adults emerging.

Also, I do think as the "stars" that are in their 40's and 50's start to age, we will see more articles. I mean, look how good Christie Brinkley looks! 15 years ago, I rarely saw anything past the 40's - now they include the 50's!!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,065,609 times
I think if you decide to be unhappy about the aging process and decide to focus on that for a source of discontent, well everything will be downhill for you from this point forward. I don't like having less energy, looking older, etc., but I truly am at peace with my age (60) and where I am in life - children grown and successful who love me, great little grandchildren, a kind and loving husband of many, many years, a low stress life filled with service, friends and family, enough money to live fairly well, great medical insurance, overall good health, a lovely home that we almost own - things could be so much worse....I'm really working on concentrating on the good and absolutely not allowing those "mind voices" of negativity and discontent to have a place in my life. We positively do have a choice about the attitudes we embrace so why choose to be unhappy?

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-30-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 04:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
WOW... loved reading this and what I bolded I agree with you totally! It is what we as a society has perceived seniors to be and how they have defined us (via tv, commercials, fashion ...and have you noticed that most beauty magazines stop at the 50's in regards to fashion/skin etc??), I think, is partly why I am in denial of almost being there, for I do not fit that image. And I would love to see centers like what you described.

And as far as the reason why we do associate with younger people and dress younger and such, I am not too sure about, but maybe just in regards to me as like I had stated before, I have more in common with younger people for many of the people my age are so much into their aches and pains and meds, I have no clue what they are talking about and in truth, want to talk about the WORLD and do things in it rather than what their lives seem to center around. Maybe it is due to where I live, I don't know. BUT one group I belong to (we are all teachers) go out once a month and it is comprised of one woman in her 20's; one in her 30's; one in her 40's but she will be 50 so we need to find another; two in their 50's; one in her 60's (me); and we had one in her 70's until last year...and nothing about health/meds is really ever mentioned! That is why when all of these wonderful ideas of "senior centers" have been shared, my mind is thinking that I would like to see a "multigenerational" one or something of that ilk; however, I know that most would not agree.
I love these ideas. Thank you for sharing them and starting this thread. Multigenerational is good . . .but not sure how that would work . . .

Old 07-30-2011, 05:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,966 times
[quote=Bette;20249114]
Quote:
WOW... loved reading this and what I bolded I agree with you totally! It is what we as a society has perceived seniors to be and how they have defined us (via tv, commercials, fashion ...and have you noticed that most beauty magazines stop at the 50's in regards to fashion/skin etc??), I think, is partly why I am in denial of almost being there, for I do not fit that image. And I would love to see centers like what you described.

And as far as the reason why we do associate with younger people and dress younger and such, I am not too sure about, but maybe just in regards to me as like I had stated before, I have more in common with younger people for many of the people my age are so much into their aches and pains and meds, I have no clue what they are talking about and in truth, want to talk about the WORLD and do things in it rather than what their lives seem to center around.

My husband and I both look younger than we are; most of our friends are 10-15 years younger and have no clue! I belong to 2 book groups - we are all of all ages and the discussions are interesting and intriguing.

I feel a lot of people like to categorize people - if you are this age, it's this - and that's not the case at all.

I love the senior center ideas - I need to keep working (self employed) and I really love what I do even though it is very stressful - I think we have a new breed of older adults emerging.

Also, I do think as the "stars" that are in their 40's and 50's start to age, we will see more articles. I mean, look how good Christie Brinkley looks! 15 years ago, I rarely saw anything past the 40's - now they include the 50's!!
I think Christie Brinkley has had work done. If "the stars" aged naturally, then society would change. I think we are in for seeing a lot of freakish looking stars as they get older and older . . . somebody has got to break the "youth culture at any cost" mentality . . .not sure how that is going to happen.

If we (seniors) make up a good percentage of the market, then we should be dictating which magazines sell and who is in them. If so many seniors weren't gobbling up drugs and having operations, etc. , the entire field of health care would change and maybe then we could concentrate on health, not disease . . . lots of room for improvement, for sure.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
OP, your profile says your divorced. Only curious, do you have a boyfriend and how does he feel about what you are asking us about? Any family members and what do they think, tell you? What do your friends say/think?
Well, I HAD a man until two weeks ago, and you can see my tale of woe on other threads. But if we were still together, I don't think he would mind at all, for once he did find out how old I really was (all he knew was that I was older than him, but not 20 years ), he had no problems with it maybe partly due to him being European.

NOW as far as my children...they have been use to me being this way for a long time; so they just 'roll their eyes', and say "Jeez Mother" and let me do my thing.

And as to my friends, well, to be honest as I had mentioned on another thread, I did lose two that I had known for over 20 years. it is strange, but this past decade it is like we were all in the same book, but not on the same page or even chapter, so we drifted apart. And another, I lost due to me dating younger men as she felt it was "immoral" and told me as such. Thus, most of my friends now are younger than I am. And to be honest, I do worry about that as when I really do hit that senior mark, I feel that what I experienced with my old chums, they will with me.

So aren't ya glad ya asked???

Old 07-30-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
We have a very active senior center with varied activities & events for seniors of all ages. Yes, we have card games & craft classes because some seniors like that type of activity. But, we also have many activities that attract "boomers".

You had better be in excellent physical health to participate in a particular aerobics class. They go at a fast clip without stoping for 50 minutes. Something that I cannot begin to do. There are many interesting day and longer trips planned throughout the year. In fact, they recently went to Charleston, SC & Savannah, Ga. A trip to New Orleans, the East Coast/Nova Socia and Ireland are planned for the future.

Here is a link to the senior center's June newsletter for your info if interested:
http://kptseniors.org/documents/news...seniornews.pdf

The director of our senior center is very concerned about offering activities that are of interest to the members. She is always open to suggestions and improvements. So, I think it is the members who dictate the activities of the center. If you live in an area where most seniors prefer hanging out with their kids and granchildren (babysitting) then I don't think you will find a very inviting senior center. Like the previous posters, I have seen too many of those type of centers. Very depressing and certainly not my cup of tea.

From what I understand our library also has discussion groups, clubs & some classes. We also have continuing education classes which I think is mostly lectures. Haven't checked any of this out yet but hope to do so in the near future.

WOW WOW... what is the membership at your center?? AND as far as the link.... WOW 10x!!! what an event! Why can't this become like a national travelling one or something like it??? ALL these ideas!!! THERE is more to these centers than what most offer!

THANKS for sharing...

Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Reminds me... Several years ago I met a rather charming, much younger Italian man who said he appreciated older women, they are like juicy, ripe pieces of fruit.

It worked for me then and I like to think it will continue when I think about it
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Watch out for those hot blooded Italian men--they will tell us anything they know we want to hear On another note, I do think that men from European cultures appreciate women at all stages of their lives, they are true "lovers."
I agree ladies, for if you are not a "secret" European men do enjoy older women. A few years back, I was to marry a Balkan man who was a lot younger than me, but KOSOVO happened, and we had to part due to the fact he worked for the government and no way could he marry an American when this country recognized Kosovo's independence. My man after him was younger too, and that is partly the reason why I am still seriously thinking 6 months in Europe and 6 here when I do retire! BUT.... will I still be in denial????

Old 07-30-2011, 06:15 PM

419 posts, read 759,129 times
Quote:
WOW WOW... what is the membership at your center?? AND as far as the link.... WOW 10x!!! what an event! Why can't this become like a national travelling one or something like it??? ALL these ideas!!! THERE is more to these centers than what most offer!

THANKS for sharing...
A few months back I saw in our local paper that 1,000 new people became members of the senior center. That figure seems high to me for new members, so maybe it includes people renewing their memberships. Just don't know. I do know that retirees from other areas are discovering our town/city and are moving in at a steady pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement